OggDude

Another Character Generator

My character has Gearhead, which includes "In addition, the credit cost to add mods to attachments decreases by 50 % (this does not increase with additional ranks of Gearhead)."

However, when I add a mod it is listed as costing 100 credits, rather than 50.

Am I doing something wrong, or can this be patched in a later release ?

Liking this tool (and the game) and looking forward to crafting additions, as I've just started, and am playing a Modder.

The latest version is giving me fits. In addition to being unable to load any of my old characters, I'm no longer able to load any characters from any previous sessions. If I make a new character and save it, then close the program the next time I open it the character list is blank again. There is a backup file of characters but I have had no luck at all trying to access it or import any of the characters. Deleting the program and installing again from scratch has made no change. Is there a copy of a previous version I can install since I loved the usefulness of this program until this latest update wiped me out?

The latest version is giving me fits. In addition to being unable to load any of my old characters, I'm no longer able to load any characters from any previous sessions. If I make a new character and save it, then close the program the next time I open it the character list is blank again. There is a backup file of characters but I have had no luck at all trying to access it or import any of the characters. Deleting the program and installing again from scratch has made no change. Is there a copy of a previous version I can install since I loved the usefulness of this program until this latest update wiped me out?

Have you cleared your cache?

Edited by SilindeT

I had the same problem.

An update to .NET 4.6.1 fixed it.

But, Oggdude is using .NET 4.0 for development, so I cannot be sure that this will not have some other unwanted side effect. I am just happy that I can load and save characters again.

My character has Gearhead, which includes "In addition, the credit cost to add mods to attachments decreases by 50 % (this does not increase with additional ranks of Gearhead)."

when you purchase any item, you should be a popup window which you can buy edit the cost.

when you purchase any item, you should be a popup window which you can buy edit the cost.

Absolutely, but it'd be great if it was automatically applied with Gearhead. Hence the request to see if it could be added to a later patch.

Sounds like it wasn't my lack of knowledge, anyway.

Thanks!

Have you cleared your cache?

Yes. 

I had the same problem.

But, Oggdude is using .NET 4.0 for development, so I cannot be sure that this will not have some other unwanted side effect. I am just happy that I can load and save characters again.

Thanks, but that's as good as gibberish to me. I'm running Windows 7 on an older rig because I haven't been "really into" computers in years. I can  muddle through a lot of stuff and deal with day to day functions but I wouldn't even know why to update .NET or how to do it anymore. Do you know where I can find an older version of the software so I can use it again without upgrading a computer I no longer care to upgrade or replacing it just because a program I like for a game I play 3 times a month no longer works on it?

I've tried all the suggestions in the FAQ and the manual, I've cleared cache, I've tried to edit the data path, I've tried to transfer data, I've tried to import characters from the backup files, I've tried it all. I even tried to restore to a previous version and my computer says there isn't one. I just want the old version back even if it means I don't have the latest toys to use, because I can't use them anyway unless I never close the program or turn off my computer ever again.

I had the same problem.

Thanks, but that's as good as gibberish to me. I'm running Windows 7 on an older rig because I haven't been "really into" computers in years. I can  muddle through a lot of stuff and deal with day to day functions but I wouldn't even know why to update .NET or how to do it anymore. Do you know where I can find an older version of the software so I can use it again without upgrading a computer I no longer care to upgrade or replacing it just because a program I like for a game I play 3 times a month no longer works on it?

I've tried all the suggestions in the FAQ and the manual, I've cleared cache, I've tried to edit the data path, I've tried to transfer data, I've tried to import characters from the backup files, I've tried it all. I even tried to restore to a previous version and my computer says there isn't one. I just want the old version back even if it means I don't have the latest toys to use, because I can't use them anyway unless I never close the program or turn off my computer ever again.

OK, but you can download and run an installer, right?

So... you take the blue pill:

the story ends. You download the old version and never get another upgrade.

You take the red pill:

you stay up-to-date, and Oggdude will show you the wonders of his new versions...  ;)

P.S.: The download link for SWEotECharGen 1.6.3, will only be valid for a few days.
P.P.S.: According to Microsoft the update is "a highly compatible, in-place update".
P.P.P.S.: Of course, after all this, the .NET upgrade better work....  :P

Here's a little preview of the new crafting feature.  It allows you to create a whole new item, rather than just adding a special attachment to a template item.  It'll be in three steps:

Step 1: Select your item type and template

CraftPage1.png

You can enter the various symbols that you rolled on your crafting check so you can see how much you can "spend" on improvements.

Step 2:  Select effects based on your roll

CraftPage2a.png

It displays how many symbols you've used, but it doesn't enforce anything.  Like the rest of the generator, it gives you flexibility in how you want to create your item.  If you select an effect that works on a selected skill (such as Special Embellishment), you can select the skill:

CraftPage2b.png

In this case, a die modifier will be added that adds advantage to all checks for that skill.

Step 3:  Customize the name and description of the item

CraftPage3.png

As for the other issues, if installing Framework 4.6 works, then go for it.  The next release will upgrade to Framework 4.5.  I'm not going to the latest because it appears Mono only supports up to 4.5, and I want it to be compatible with Mono for Mac users.

Also, with that in mind, I've changed my HTML rendering to use a managed solution that will be compatible with Mono, so you should see all the fancy descriptions and layouts.  While I was at it, I also upgraded all of the fonts so that they look more like the books.  You can probably tell there's some subtle differences in the appearance of the windows in the above post.

I had the same problem.

OK, but you can download and run an installer, right?

So... you take the blue pill:

the story ends. You download the old version and never get another upgrade.

You take the red pill:

you stay up-to-date, and Oggdude will show you the wonders of his new versions...  ;)

P.S.: The download link for SWEotECharGen 1.6.3, will only be valid for a few days.
P.P.S.: According to Microsoft the update is "a highly compatible, in-place update".
P.P.P.S.: Of course, after all this, the .NET upgrade better work....  :P

Thanks for the link, and please pardon my grumpiness. The updated framework seems to have helped. I can now build and save new characters at least.

Thanks for the link, and please pardon my grumpiness. The updated framework seems to have helped. I can now build and save new characters at least.

NP, glad to hear it worked  :)

Have you considered creating a Stat Block layout that includes blank spaces to write in current Wounds or Strain as well as Defense Zones on vehicle sheets? The creator window shows the zones, but the Stat Block doesn't.

Sorry if this has been asked before....but I tried to do some searches and couldn't find the answer. I have used your generator (and LOVE it by the way) but on 1 character outta 4....when I print in Standard Format....it'll print my weapons at the bottom of page #1 complete with damage/dice pool/mods...etc.

Why on all my other characters is there only a Notes section at the bottom of page #1? I can't for the life of me remember where/how I changed this on the one character.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Tiamack

First, thank you for your hard work, this program is phenomenal.

I last used 1.5.0.0 and manually entered a considerable amount of data via the data tool. What is the proper procedure to upgrade to the latest release and import all my manually entered text/data?

Many thanks!

Hey Oggdude,

I was trying to enter a weapon from the books via the data editor, but i seem to be stuck.

The item is a Pulse-Wave Array (Nexus of Power, Page 122) its an item from the Cultist War Droid.

The problem i'm having is that it can be used as both a Ranged Light and a Melee weapon. I was trying to do it as an attachment but the weapons stats weren't shown. I think i'm doing it wrong.

If it cant be done via your options the only thing else i could think of was doing it via two separate weapons.

Hey Oggdude,

I was trying to enter a weapon from the books via the data editor, but i seem to be stuck.

The item is a Pulse-Wave Array (Nexus of Power, Page 122) its an item from the Cultist War Droid.

The problem i'm having is that it can be used as both a Ranged Light and a Melee weapon. I was trying to do it as an attachment but the weapons stats weren't shown. I think i'm doing it wrong.

If it cant be done via your options the only thing else i could think of was doing it via two separate weapons.

There are a few weapons that have two types (such as the Dragoon blaster), and they are listed twice: once for each "type."

Sorry if this has been asked before....but I tried to do some searches and couldn't find the answer. I have used your generator (and LOVE it by the way) but on 1 character outta 4....when I print in Standard Format....it'll print my weapons at the bottom of page #1 complete with damage/dice pool/mods...etc.

Why on all my other characters is there only a Notes section at the bottom of page #1? I can't for the life of me remember where/how I changed this on the one character.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Tiamack

In the equipment section when you look at the Weapons you have purchased there should be 3 boxes, Equip, Carry & Show. if the show box is ticked it will put the stats on page 1.

On a side note make sure to tick the Equip box on your armour too. That way it adds to the soak/defense score on front of your sheet.