OggDude

Another Character Generator

This could be a feature and not a bug... GM Grant of +1 Force does not stack with Force careers that begin with +1 Force. It would be nice if we could stack it.

First: This is by far the best and most comprehensive RPG tool we have.  Wow!  Thanks so much!

I have a question: Is it possible to edit in the data for the Force and Destiny Talents?  For example, I can't find anywhere to add in the actual wording for the Parry or Reflect talents (Shien Expert tree).  Is there a way to edit these talents that I'm not seeing?  Please let me know.  Thanks!

I have a question: Is it possible to edit in the data for the Force and Destiny Talents?  For example, I can't find anywhere to add in the actual wording for the Parry or Reflect talents (Shien Expert tree).  Is there a way to edit these talents that I'm not seeing?  Please let me know.  Thanks!

That’s what the Data Editor is for. At the very top of this page is a search box, and if you search for “Data Editor” in this forum, you should find the posts that will tell you what you need to know.

That’s what the Data Editor is for. At the very top of this page is a search box, and if you search for “Data Editor” in this forum, you should find the posts that will tell you what you need to know.

I've used the Data Editor.  I've been able to edit a whole bunch of things: Characteristics, Careers, Specializations, etc.  I can also edit certain talents, but not all.  I cannot seem to edit any of the F&D talents (for example, the Shien Expert talent tree).  

I just edited the Shien Technique talent's description, saved it, closed the data editor and opened it again, and the changes took.  Not sure what the issue is.  Do you have the latest version of the software?

Edit:  What's listed in the "Custom" column for the talents that are giving you problems?  It should say "DescOnly" if you only changed the description.  If it says "CustomItem", you may want to do a "Remove", then, when it asks you, say that you want to revert to "DescOnly".

Also, remember to Save after you make changes.

Edited by OggDude

I just edited the Shien Technique talent's description, saved it, closed the data editor and opened it again, and the changes took.  Not sure what the issue is.  Do you have the latest version of the software?

Edit:  What's listed in the "Custom" column for the talents that are giving you problems?  It should say "DescOnly" if you only changed the description.  If it says "CustomItem", you may want to do a "Remove", then, when it asks you, say that you want to revert to "DescOnly".

Also, remember to Save after you make changes.

Okay, nevermind.  Thank you for your help.  I found it now.  

I was having a hard time navigating the Talents column.  I wasn't scrolling down far enough to find the Talents that I needed. :wacko:  I was mistakenly assuming that all of the Talents were listed in one alphabetical-order list, when in reality they are listed in several different alphabetical-order lists in the same section.  I feel about as intelligent as a gundark right about now...but at least I can finish making my Sentinel character!  

I'm sorry about the confusion I've caused.  There's nothing to see here.  You can go about your business (of continuing to make this AWESOME tool!).  Move along.  Move along. 

Ogg,

I had not played around with the encounter page until you mentioned it. I like it.

A possible solution to this question might be to add a roster tab to the group section when a vehicle is added to the group the way it does when you add it to the encounter.

That way if you are maintaining a group sheet for the party, you don't have to create an encounter sheet separately.

I found a couple of minor issues in the encounter section.

1. NPC astromechs do not have all of the possible maneuvers and actions listed on pages 72-73 in Stay on Target available to them. It only has the new ones that were presented in Stay on Target. I was able to fix this myself in the data editor.

2. Not sure if they are supposed to or not, but the Vehicle sheets in both the Character Generator and GM Tools section do not account for talents like Defensive Driving or ship upgrades like an Advanced Targeting Array. They show talents like Skilled Jockey for the Pilot skill, it would be great if it would reflect the other stuff as well. Although our group's pilot has two ranks of Skilled Jockey, the roster only shows -1 set back die. I think that I discovered the issue, apparently if a PC has a large number of talents, it drops the extra ranks of some of them to just 1. It doesn't appear to consistently happen to all character's, only some of them (I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to the error). It can be corrected by copying the character, then updating the talents to the proper numbers.

These are just the things that I have noticed so far, I am not sure if there are issues with other talents or upgrades.

Thanks again Ogg!!!

Ogg,

I had not played around with the encounter page until you mentioned it. I like it.

A possible solution to this question might be to add a roster tab to the group section when a vehicle is added to the group the way it does when you add it to the encounter.

That way if you are maintaining a group sheet for the party, you don't have to create an encounter sheet separately.

I found a couple of minor issues in the encounter section.

1. NPC astromechs do not have all of the possible maneuvers and actions listed on pages 72-73 in Stay on Target available to them. It only has the new ones that were presented in Stay on Target. I was able to fix this myself in the data editor.

2. Not sure if they are supposed to or not, but the Vehicle sheets in both the Character Generator and GM Tools section do not account for talents like Defensive Driving or ship upgrades like an Advanced Targeting Array. They show talents like Skilled Jockey for the Pilot skill, it would be great if it would reflect the other stuff as well. Although our group's pilot has two ranks of Skilled Jockey, the roster only shows -1 set back die. I think that I discovered the issue, apparently if a PC has a large number of talents, it drops the extra ranks of some of them to just 1. It doesn't appear to consistently happen to all character's, only some of them (I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to the error). It can be corrected by copying the character, then updating the talents to the proper numbers.

These are just the things that I have noticed so far, I am not sure if there are issues with other talents or upgrades.

Thanks again Ogg!!!

1.  It was only really missing Angle Deflector Shields, which I added to both Astromech and Engineer.  If an astromech is the pilot, just assign it to the pilot position, too.

2.  I added support for Defensive Driving and the Gunnery upgrade for Advanced Targeting Array.  If there's anything else that you found that would directly effect a roster, let me know.  As for Skilled Jockey, I found a problem with the routine that converts a character into an adversary.  It wasn't adding up talent ranks correctly.  It works now.

All good catches!  You have a keen eye.

Top, right on the specialization pane.  Button is called "Skill Char".  It'll appear whenever you select a technique that substitutes a different characteristic.

The reason it doesn't do it on the talent itself is because you could have multiple techniques selected.  Also, in the future, skills other than Lightsaber might also be included.

Ah. Found it. However I was only able to see that option if my career was a jedi (e.g. seeker) but if I started as a hired gun and bought into a jedi spec (e.g. Ataru striker), then the option does not show up. Is that intentional? Perhaps I am missing something.

My R2 unit caused my hard drive to crash and I lost all of the "fleshing out" data that I had meticulously entered for talents and equipment and so forth.  Does anyone have a copy of the files I can copy over to fill all that back in?

I don't see how mod costs have changed.  Each one past the first increases the difficulty by one and the cost by 100.  I don't think this has changed between EotE and AoR.  I think they removed "beyond the base" because it was unneeded and confusing.

The Mods cost didn't change, the wording did. I figured the cost error in the program was due to a misinterpretation of the odd wording.

My interpretation is different.

"To install a mod, the user selects one uninstalled modification option. He then spends 100 credits ... snip ... costs an additional 100 credits."

It doesn't matter whether it's the first or last, the mods are 100 credits each. For best clarity, the final sentence should read "another 100 credits." or "Each additional mod installed costs 100 credits and the difficulty increases by one per mod after the first."

Otherwise, it would say each "more arduous and expensive."

It should be 100 for each Mod, not 100 for the 1st, 200 for the 2nd, 300 for the 3rd, ... etc.

Thanks.

That's actually how I read it originally, but I was schooled by everyone as to the actual rules :)  There's probably a dev question on this.  I'll check to be sure.

If there wasn't a dev question before, there is now.

I sent this question to Sam:

The wording concerning mods changed slightly from EotE to AoR. In EotE page 187, Section Installing Mods, paragraph 3, it says ... cost an additional 100 credits beyond the base cost. In AoR, page 199, same Section, Same paragraph, it simply states ... cost an additional 100 credits.

I am of the belief that if you install, say an augmented spin barrel, and successfully activate all 4 mods that the total cost would be 2,150 credits, the attachment cost of 1,750 plus 400 for the 4 mods (4 x 100).

The odd wording in EotE has raised the question as to whether the cost scales with each additional mod. Some interpret it that the cost for that attachment with all 4 mods would be 2,750, the attachment cost of 1,750 plus 1,000 for the 4 mods (1st mod 100, 2nd mod 200, 3rd mod 300, 4th mod 400). Which interpretation is accurate?

Let me know,

Thanks,

Damon A Simms

Hello Mr. Simms,

Every mod you install costs 100 credits to do so. I agree that it could be worded slightly clearer, and apologize for the confusion.

Hope this helps!

Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

So Oggy, you were right from the beginning. Whoever it was that "schooled" you was either wrong or misinformed.  ^_^

Top, right on the specialization pane.  Button is called "Skill Char".  It'll appear whenever you select a technique that substitutes a different characteristic.

The reason it doesn't do it on the talent itself is because you could have multiple techniques selected.  Also, in the future, skills other than Lightsaber might also be included.

Ah. Found it. However I was only able to see that option if my career was a jedi (e.g. seeker) but if I started as a hired gun and bought into a jedi spec (e.g. Ataru striker), then the option does not show up. Is that intentional? Perhaps I am missing something.

The various techniques are actually Force talents.  That means you need at least a Force rating of 1 before you can use them.  If you want to be able to actually use the talent, you'll need to get one of the FSE specs first.  Then it'll become available.

I don't see how mod costs have changed.  Each one past the first increases the difficulty by one and the cost by 100.  I don't think this has changed between EotE and AoR.  I think they removed "beyond the base" because it was unneeded and confusing.

The Mods cost didn't change, the wording did. I figured the cost error in the program was due to a misinterpretation of the odd wording.

My interpretation is different.

"To install a mod, the user selects one uninstalled modification option. He then spends 100 credits ... snip ... costs an additional 100 credits."

It doesn't matter whether it's the first or last, the mods are 100 credits each. For best clarity, the final sentence should read "another 100 credits." or "Each additional mod installed costs 100 credits and the difficulty increases by one per mod after the first."

Otherwise, it would say each "more arduous and expensive."

It should be 100 for each Mod, not 100 for the 1st, 200 for the 2nd, 300 for the 3rd, ... etc.

Thanks.

That's actually how I read it originally, but I was schooled by everyone as to the actual rules :)  There's probably a dev question on this.  I'll check to be sure.

If there wasn't a dev question before, there is now.

I sent this question to Sam:

The wording concerning mods changed slightly from EotE to AoR. In EotE page 187, Section Installing Mods, paragraph 3, it says ... cost an additional 100 credits beyond the base cost. In AoR, page 199, same Section, Same paragraph, it simply states ... cost an additional 100 credits.

I am of the belief that if you install, say an augmented spin barrel, and successfully activate all 4 mods that the total cost would be 2,150 credits, the attachment cost of 1,750 plus 400 for the 4 mods (4 x 100).

The odd wording in EotE has raised the question as to whether the cost scales with each additional mod. Some interpret it that the cost for that attachment with all 4 mods would be 2,750, the attachment cost of 1,750 plus 1,000 for the 4 mods (1st mod 100, 2nd mod 200, 3rd mod 300, 4th mod 400). Which interpretation is accurate?

Let me know,

Thanks,

Damon A Simms

Hello Mr. Simms,

Every mod you install costs 100 credits to do so. I agree that it could be worded slightly clearer, and apologize for the confusion.

Hope this helps!

Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

So Oggy, you were right from the beginning. Whoever it was that "schooled" you was either wrong or misinformed.  ^_^

Be sure to send the question and the answer to Kaosoe so he can update the dev question topic.  That's a good one to have in there.

Be sure to send the question and the answer to Kaosoe so he can update the dev question topic.  That's a good one to have in there.

Already did.

Thanks again for all of your efforts!

The various techniques are actually Force talents.  That means you need at least a Force rating of 1 before you can use them.  If you want to be able to actually use the talent, you'll need to get one of the FSE specs first.  Then it'll become available.
Oh wow. So you can buy into the tree but cannot use any of the force talents unless you have a FR. Need to get my hands on that F&D book. Thanks for taking the time to for doing all of this. It is greatly appreciated.

Oh wow. So you can buy into the tree but cannot use any of the force talents unless you have a FR. Need to get my hands on that F&D book. Thanks for taking the time to for doing all of this. It is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, you can buy a FaD specialization without a FR, and can even buy Force talents (the ones with the success-pip-looking blast shape on the panel) from the tree.  You just can't use them :)  Sometimes you need to buy them nonetheless if you want a talent further down.  The good thing, though, is if you do spend the XP later on to buy FSE, all of your purchased Force talents will then immediately become activated.

1st : this is an AMAZING tool.  Thank you so much for doing it and for keeping it updated!  (I just sent you a small donation).

I did notice one thing as I was diligently imputing data...There is a listing for Base Foci of "Weapons Depot" and "Research Center" listed to be out of the Desperate Allies book...however, I don't see it in the book...Just thought I'd let you know.

Edited by Greyh Seer

Question on Cumbersome. With a 2 Str, 3 ranks in Burly, and a weapon harness, a HOB HRB would have a cumbersome of 1 and a encumbrance of 7. Why is the cumbersome penalty warning being displayed on the print out? Would think that with a 2 Str there would be no cumbersome penalty. 

Also, I saw in the data editor that one can edit/fill in all of the space ship actions & maneuvers. How can one print them out? Is it part of the GM tools?  Finally is there a way to include (or print out) all of the different ways one can spend [AD] & [TR] on? The easy was would be to just photo copy the pages, but I thought I would ask. 

As always, thank you for fielding all of these questions. 

Edited by Arrakus

If I wanted to add a custom soucebook...say...The Spark of Rebellion, into the generator with the intent to export it and share it around, how will I go about doing that?

The GM Grant gives you a FR of 1, it doesn't add to your FR.

I did the brass knuckle purchase, and I still can't get it to crash.

I rebooted and it still crashed.  Then I realized I couldn't print either.  So I uninstalled/reinstalled and that seems to have fixed the problem.