OggDude

Another Character Generator

Hate to say it, but found a bug already with the new version.

It looks as if a character has the Defensive Training talent, the program is counting it twice, once from the talent (I presume) and once from the Defensive quality that's applied to the weapon by way of this talent.

So for instance, I've got a PC with one rank of Defensive Training and armored clothing, yet the program shows him as having Melee Defense 3.  If I unselect Defensive Training, his Melee Defense goes to down to one.  And if I select additional ranks of Defensive Training, then each rank purchased is providing a +2 boost to melee defense.

Edit: Correction to the above.  What's happening is that if a character is loaded equipped with two melee weapons that have the Defensive quality, the program is applying them both.  So for the PC mentioned above, he's got a lightsaber and combat gloves (reskinned brass knuckles) equipped, both of which have Defensive 1.  If I un-equip one or the other, the character's melee defense shows the correct value.

So probably still a bug in that as far as I understand it, multiple instances of Defensive shouldn't stack.  Unless there's been a dev answer that says otherwise.

I was wondering about that as well when I was making the change, but the CRB states that "A character wielding a weapon with the Defensive quality increases his melee defense by the weapon's Defensive rating."  So, I'm assuming that two weapons, each with Defensive 1 will raise melee defense by 2.

If this isn't the way it works, then someone please tell me :)

I've been out of the loop for a while now.  Does the tool not automatically update when you open it anymore?  I see I am still running 1.4.5.3 when I open it.

You have to run the executable that you get with the web install.  It'll check for updates, then run the launcher.  If you run the launcher directly, it won't check for updates.

It looks as if a character has the Defensive Training talent, the program is counting it twice, once from the talent (I presume) and once from the Defensive quality that's applied to the weapon by way of this talent.

So for instance, I've got a PC with one rank of Defensive Training and armored clothing, yet the program shows him as having Melee Defense 3.  If I unselect Defensive Training, his Melee Defense goes to down to one.  And if I select additional ranks of Defensive Training, then each rank purchased is providing a +2 boost to melee defense.

Edit: Correction to the above.  What's happening is that if a character is loaded equipped with two melee weapons that have the Defensive quality, the program is applying them both.  So for the PC mentioned above, he's got a lightsaber and combat gloves (reskinned brass knuckles) equipped, both of which have Defensive 1.  If I un-equip one or the other, the character's melee defense shows the correct value.

So probably still a bug in that as far as I understand it, multiple instances of Defensive shouldn't stack.  Unless there's been a dev answer that says otherwise.

I'm actually not getting the Defensive Training to work still.  I've confirmed that I'm on 1.4.6.0, but when I select Defensive Training (both ranks from Niman is what I was doing, though I did also try it from Shien) and have one or more weapons equipped, I don't have any displayed Defense.  Any ideas?

I can, however, confirm that having two weapons with the Defensive quality equipped does count both of them in the builder.  Not sure if that's intended or not.

It works with Melee, Brawl, and Lightsaber weapons.  What might be the problem is that you've equipped a weapon that already has Defensive 1.  According to the description of the talent, "the weapon gains Defensive X, where X equals ranks in Defensive Training".  So, if a weapon has Defensive 1, and you have one rank in DT, it's defensive rating stays the same.  If you have 2 ranks in DT, then the weapon will go up to Defensive 2.

I'm actually not getting the Defensive Training to work still.  I've confirmed that I'm on 1.4.6.0, but when I select Defensive Training (both ranks from Niman is what I was doing, though I did also try it from Shien) and have one or more weapons equipped, I don't have any displayed Defense.  Any ideas?

I can, however, confirm that having two weapons with the Defensive quality equipped does count both of them in the builder.  Not sure if that's intended or not.

It works with Melee, Brawl, and Lightsaber weapons.  What might be the problem is that you've equipped a weapon that already has Defensive 1.  According to the description of the talent, "the weapon gains Defensive X, where X equals ranks in Defensive Training".  So, if a weapon has Defensive 1, and you have one rank in DT, it's defensive rating stays the same.  If you have 2 ranks in DT, then the weapon will go up to Defensive 2.

I was trying with the standard basic lightsaber mostly, though I also tried the lightsaber pike and a few other weapons (including both melee ones and brawl ones).  When I had the lightsaber pike equipped, I had 1 Melee Defense showing, with all others I had 0 Melee Defense showing.  With a total of 3 ranks in DT, so it should have been showing as 3 Melee Defense.

EDIT:  I think I found the problem.  For some reason the <default> Data Set had a ton of talents listed as Custom Items, even though I've done only Description updates and only in a separate Data Set that I was calling "BriefDesc".  When I reverted the <default> version of Defensive Training to default and reselected my BriefDesc data set, it looks to be working now.  Now to go back through all of those other talents marked as custom items and revert them as well to ensure there's no other wackiness.

And thanks again for all your work on the builder, we use it constantly and absolutely adore it.

Edited by NSIBystander

I've been out of the loop for a while now.  Does the tool not automatically update when you open it anymore?  I see I am still running 1.4.5.3 when I open it.

You have to run the executable that you get with the web install.  It'll check for updates, then run the launcher.  If you run the launcher directly, it won't check for updates.

Does that mean since I originally used the Dropbox web install, I have to wait until that link is functional again?

I was trying with the standard basic lightsaber mostly, though I also tried the lightsaber pike and a few other weapons (including both melee ones and brawl ones).  When I had the lightsaber pike equipped, I had 1 Melee Defense showing, with all others I had 0 Melee Defense showing.  With a total of 3 ranks in DT, so it should have been showing as 3 Melee Defense.

I just tried it with the basic lightsaber and it worked as expected.  Two DT gave the lightsaber a Defensive 2 quality.  So, I'm not sure where your problem is.

Edit:  You are equipping the weapon, aren't you?

Edited by OggDude

Does that mean since I originally used the Dropbox web install, I have to wait until that link is functional again?

Just uninstall the program from the Control Panel, then re-install it again from copy.com.  DropBox is just too flakey.

I just tried it with the basic lightsaber and it worked as expected.  Two DT gave the lightsaber a Defensive 2 quality.  So, I'm not sure where your problem is.

Yeah, I figured out the problem and edited my previous post with the result.  For some reason the <default> data set was listing most of the talents as Custom Items.  Reverting the Defensive Training talent fixed the problem, so I'm going through the other talents and fixing those as well.  Thanks for the help!

Just uninstall the program from the Control Panel, then re-install it again from copy.com.  DropBox is just too flakey.

This was my problem also.  I had installed from DropBox.

Yeah, I figured out the problem and edited my previous post with the result.  For some reason the <default> data set was listing most of the talents as Custom Items.  Reverting the Defensive Training talent fixed the problem, so I'm going through the other talents and fixing those as well.  Thanks for the help!

Well, that's weird.  If you just added descriptions to them, they should have been DescOnly.  You would have to have actually modified the talents in the talent editor to get it to be a custom item.

Well, that's weird.  If you just added descriptions to them, they should have been DescOnly.  You would have to have actually modified the talents in the talent editor to get it to be a custom item.

Yeah, that confused me as well, I'm guessing I must have just had some data corruption along the way that caused it to have errors.  The data folder is set to a Google Drive folder so possibly a mis-sync or something when it was open on two computers at once may have confused it.  Either way, I reset them all to default by removing the extraneous Talents.xml file in the data folder root that seemed to be causing it, so none are showing as custom items anymore and the Defensive Training is working great.

If I do encounter it again, I'll see if I can figure out steps to reproduce it and determine whether it was a user error, a sync error, or an actual potential bug. ;)

Thanks.

Edited by NSIBystander

I was wondering about that as well when I was making the change, but the CRB states that "A character wielding a weapon with the Defensive quality increases his melee defense by the weapon's Defensive rating."  So, I'm assuming that two weapons, each with Defensive 1 will raise melee defense by 2.

From the FFG Developer Answered Questions Thread:

Question asked by Yepesnopes:

Does a character wielding two Ryyk Blades (or two superior vibro swords) gain automatically two advantages with his melee checks? or just one?

Does he gain 2 points of melee defence (one per weapon) or just 1?

Answered By Sam Stewart:

Just one advantage, and just one melee defense.

Hi, hopefully Ogg himself or one of the regulars can help me.

I've been using the Editor for a while now, it's  great program. But I've changed computers and I'm having serious problems trying to transfer data.

I went to Big Tent and the group there that makes the Data Packages.  Downloaded a 'DataSet_Total Package' that seems to have all the filled-in details in it.

But now I try to use the Import or Data Transfer features and it's not reading anything.  The Big Tent site didn't have anything in the Forums about this. I know I've been using the data from there before, so how do I transfer this into the new Editor?

It just says 'no data folders were found at this location'. It's starting to become a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Edited by MTaylor

Hi, hopefully Ogg himself or one of the regulars can help me.

I've been using the Editor for a while now, it's  great program. But I've changed computers and I'm having serious problems trying to transfer data.

I went to Big Tent and the group there that makes the Data Packages.  Downloaded a 'DataSet_Total Package' that seems to have all the filled-in details in it.

But now I try to use the Import or Data Transfer features and it's not reading anything.  The Big Tent site didn't have anything in the Forums about this. I know I've been using the data from there before, so how do I transfer this into the new Editor?

It just says 'no data folders were found at this location'. It's starting to become a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

At the top of the Data Editor, click the "Import" button under Data Set.  Find the ZIP file you downloaded, and import it.

Before you move to your other computer, you could also do a "Backup", then move the ZIP file to the new computer, and do a "Restore".  

Backup, restore, and data sets all use ZIP files.  They don't need to be unZIPped before use them.

Thanks Ogg, don't know why it wasn't initially reading those files. That worked fine.

I can't thank you enough for the work you do, man! :)  FFG should hire you and pay you lots of money!

From the FFG Developer Answered Questions Thread:

Question asked by Yepesnopes:

Does a character wielding two Ryyk Blades (or two superior vibro swords) gain automatically two advantages with his melee checks? or just one?

Does he gain 2 points of melee defence (one per weapon) or just 1?

Answered By Sam Stewart:

Just one advantage, and just one melee defense.

I think it comes down to the concept of primary and secondary weapons.  Secondary weapons don't give you any bonuses unless they're activated, and even then, they only contribute post-roll effects.

You can still get this to work in the generator.  If you have two Ryyk blades, just equip one of them.  Then, create a two-weapon set with the other blade and show the set.  It'll only show the Defensive for one of them.  The same can be done for any combination; just equip the primary.

After adding Two-Weapon sets, I suppose there's no reason to allow equipping of more than one weapon.  However, I have a feeling people would flip out if it suddenly didn't work :)  So... if you're dealing with Defensive and Superior weapons (or weapons with similar qualities) using two-weapon combat, just equip your primary weapon, not both of them.  Use Two-Weapon Sets to configure your secondary weapon and everything will come out OK.

Question if I update to the latest generator will I lose all of my data descriptions since I entered every single talent and every force power description and would hate to lose them since that took over 10 hours?

Hi, so I have been noticing a problem with the app.  When I start it up I can't open the character generator, it keeps crashing.  The message I am getting is:

----------------------

Create characters for use with the SW Roleplaying Game System by Fantasy Flight Games.  Any questions ro comments may be sent t has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

----------------------

I have tried to start up the GM tools and data editor but neither will start up either.

I have the exact same issue. Data Editor still loads but the Character Gen and GM Tools do not. Deleted any older saves that I had and also did all the solutions that was given for this and I still can't get it to launch.

So, I just downloaded the new version from the Copy.com link (manual install). Extracted the zip over the old install I had, everything worked fine. Opened it up, played around a bit, closed it. All my characters were there and I could load, modify, create, and do whatever else. Closed the program, then I overwrote the Talents.xml file with the one posted in this thread, way back. I opened it up again, but now, all of my characters were gone. Is there any way to get them back? I see no reason why overwriting Talents.xml would cause this, but it is really the only change so it is the only culprit. I'd appreciate any help!

Question if I update to the latest generator will I lose all of my data descriptions since I entered every single talent and every force power description and would hate to lose them since that took over 10 hours?

Your custom data, including descriptions, is not saved with the application, but elsewhere on your hard drive.  So overwriting the install directory won't touch your custom data.

So, I just downloaded the new version from the Copy.com link (manual install). Extracted the zip over the old install I had, everything worked fine. Opened it up, played around a bit, closed it. All my characters were there and I could load, modify, create, and do whatever else. Closed the program, then I overwrote the Talents.xml file with the one posted in this thread, way back. I opened it up again, but now, all of my characters were gone. Is there any way to get them back? I see no reason why overwriting Talents.xml would cause this, but it is really the only change so it is the only culprit. I'd appreciate any help!

First off, don't touch anything in the install directory.  The apps need everything found there exactly the way it is.  If you want to add descriptions, you do so using custom data.  The best way of handling external custom data is to create a data set with what you want to add, export the data set, then import it where you want it.  Try to avoid copying XML files around, or you could mess things up, as you just found out :)

Again before downloading just want to make sure my data I inputted doesn't get deleted if I upgraded

I get asked this question soooooo many times.

The answer is no, none of your custom data is deleted when you upgrade.  Your custom data, along with characters, encounters, etc., is stored in a completely different directory.  Overwriting the install directory won't touch your custom data.

Hi, so I have been noticing a problem with the app.  When I start it up I can't open the character generator, it keeps crashing.  The message I am getting is:

----------------------

Create characters for use with the SW Roleplaying Game System by Fantasy Flight Games.  Any questions ro comments may be sent t has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

----------------------

I have tried to start up the GM tools and data editor but neither will start up either.

I have the exact same issue. Data Editor still loads but the Character Gen and GM Tools do not. Deleted any older saves that I had and also did all the solutions that was given for this and I still can't get it to launch.

It sounds like you have a conflict with SQL Server CE.  The app comes with 3.5, but it might get confused if you have another version of it installed.  If you do, try uninstalling it and see if everything works.  You can also try renaming "System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll" in the install directory to something else.  That might fix it as well.