OggDude

Another Character Generator

You mention "it has been fixed" a bit lately OggDude, does that mean there is a newer version ready? or it will be in the Desperate Allies release?

Yup, a new release will be forthcoming.  I've added everything for Desperate Allies, plus I've fixed a bunch of stuff and added a few new features that have been requested.  I'm still testing right now, so hopefully by the end of the week.

did you get the F&D beginner box? it is out too...

OggDude, best PC character generator ever. Awesome work.

From a GM perspective, is there a functionality to create NPCs and only print a condensed one page stat as I wouldn't need 5 pages as these will be NPCs which, no doubt, will meet their doom??

Regards

Is anyone using the Tool across multiple PCs?  I have a desktop I tend to use to prepare stuff and a laptop that I take with me to sessions, but occasionally I'll create new adversaries or encounters in the GM tools on the laptop while away from home.  The recognised route for moving data between installs seems to be either store the data folder on a shared drive or dropbox, or alternatively to export and import everything via XML files to ensure the files generated don't overwrite each other when you then merge the folders.

While the former method seems ideal, unfortunately I don't always have connectivity when I'm out and about and using the laptop; the latter method is solid but time-consuming.  Are there any other ways to safely share the data between installs on different machines that I'm missing?

I use OggDude's builder from my home computer, my work computer, and my players from their computers. The data folder is a shared folder on Dropbox and the setup works fine. If you want to mess with common data between your laptop and your home computer, you'll want to make sure the files on your laptop are synced (if using the drop box option) before messing with them on another computer.

I see your point - if you can't keep the laptop synced while on the move, sync it when you get home then open things up on the desktop.

Question - if I modify the contents of one of the data folders (e.g. /adversaries ) by adding a couple of new entries (adverX.xml, adverX+1.xml, adverX+2.xml), which are created on computer A, when I open the CharGen Tools on computer B, will it work from adverX+3.xml onwards or does it get confused and think that the next file should be adverX.xml and overwrite the newly synced file?  To put it another way, does each installation of the tools have an index of files that is maintained independently, or is it smart enough to read the contents of a folder and pick the next integer to name a new file?

Ogg can probably answer these questions better than I can, but as long as all installations point to the shared data folder and you keep your modified files synced, you should not experience a problem of overwriting any data. I've been using this setup for about a year now and I haven't had a problem yet.

Edited by kaosoe

Sheet Management

If you don't print out talents sheets or Force powers, the character sheet is usually 4 pages. If you do print the the talents and Force powers out it pushes what should be page 4 to the end. Please make it not do that. Make the core character sheet the first group of pages, and any talent or Force power pages get added to the end.

Equipment Page

Any weapon once fully tricked out gets to the point where it takes up a couple of inches of the page. If you have have a couple of these items what is normally page 4 ends up getting split into page 4 and 5.

Possible corrections:

1. Column adjustment capability during print preview for the equipment page (page 4) would be nice if it is even possible.

2. Less description in the special section for attachments and modifications.

3. Make an item 2 lines, 1st has it's name and numerical stats, 2nd is the special section and is the whole width of the page.

Last is probably the easiest option, with maybe a check box on the equipment screen to denote how you would like the display to appear.

Gear Head

Gear Had talent is supposed to halve the cost for adding mods to an item or vehicle. That is not factored into the program.

GM Grants

I have some suggestions for additional options for GM Grants. One based on my personal preferences and and some are based on house rules that I have seen mentioned in the forums.

GM grant that I want to see:

Gain an additional wound whenever you take a dedication for Brawn, and an add strain when ever you take a dedication for Willpower.

Other possibilities based on what I saw in the forums:

Select an additional specialization at character creation for free.

Eliminate the additional 10 point cost for purchasing a specialization out of career.

Eliminate the additional 5 point cost for purchasing ranks in a non-class skill.

There may be more.

Thanks again Oggy!

Edited by Dakkar98

I would echo the above post for expanding GM Grants:

Allow GM Grant to include Specializations (all of them)

-Lots of folks want to give Recruit

-I would like to be able to grant Lightsaber styles for free

-Just adding them with extra XP boosts the costs for all specializations down the road.

-Also allows the above request of an additional specialization for free at chargen

Allow Altering Specializations From Career to Universal

I'm about 75% of the way through entering all of the new Desperate Allies data, and when I'm done, I'll do another release.  In the mean time, if anyone has mentioned what they think is a bug in the past month or two, which either I haven't replied to that I fixed, or said that it wasn't a bug, could you post them again?  There hasn't been too many, but I want to make sure i get them all into the upcoming release.  Thanks!

It would be nice to have more of the die codes for piloting and gunnery on the ship sheet. :) I like what you added to it.

Not sure what you mean :)  Like the available action section?

Look at the vehicle sheet and What skills do you need on the vehicle sheet so one does not have to flip back you the other pages?

You need the piloting roll modified by talents and the ship. IE including the handling of the ship and things like skilled Jockey, You need gunnery Modified by targeting computers etc. 

It would be nice to have the difficulties for the maneuvers you have listed....Basically try and make the vehicle sheet reduce the amount of page flipping and looking in the book. 

I like the way GM Hooley's cheat sheets work. But you can do something he can't...You can do a lot of the die roll modifications so that things are easier. 

What about printing up an encounter sheet for the ship with your group as adversaries?  If you add your group members to the roster, their rolls will show up.

Ogg can probably answer these questions better than I can, but as long as all installations point to the shared data folder and you keep your modified files synced, you should not experience a problem of overwriting any data. I've been using this setup for about a year now and I haven't had a problem yet.

I actually had an issue with this.  I have the DropBox setup so all of my group members can share my data.  The last session, a player had updated his character, but it didn't show up on my side.  Turns out his DropBox client had crashed and he wasn't synced.  He reinstalled DropBox, and within a few minutes, i could see his changes on my end.  You don't have to close and reload anything; the apps will know when something is updated and update its own internal data.  Everything should sync real-time.

I really didn't want to add anything above and beyond what I have now, since I wanted to release this by the end of the week.  I'll look into the Recruit GM Grant, however.  That one may not be too tough to do.

I really didn't want to add anything above and beyond what I have now, since I wanted to release this by the end of the week.  I'll look into the Recruit GM Grant, however.  That one may not be too tough to do.

This is the one that would be most usefull to my group.

Knowing that this is a personal time sink and personal labor of love you've decided to share, any and all work you do on it is greatly appreciated.

Solid quality work. Solid.

When ever I try to download the generator in dropbox it says the dropbox account has been overloaded with download requests and I am not able to download the file.  I was able to download it from the other link.  However I am not seeing any of the new content like desperate allies.  Did I miss read and this has not launched yet?

Nope, not yet.

And OggDude, your personal time investment is huge here. Thank you, thank you, thank you. FFG should also thank you... since downloading your Generator, I've decided that I needed to know what all these things are! I've picked up five books since firing it up a few months ago.

I'm about 75% of the way through entering all of the new Desperate Allies data, and when I'm done, I'll do another release.  In the mean time, if anyone has mentioned what they think is a bug in the past month or two, which either I haven't replied to that I fixed, or said that it wasn't a bug, could you post them again?  There hasn't been too many, but I want to make sure i get them all into the upcoming release.  Thanks!

It would be nice to have more of the die codes for piloting and gunnery on the ship sheet. :) I like what you added to it.

Not sure what you mean :)  Like the available action section?

Look at the vehicle sheet and What skills do you need on the vehicle sheet so one does not have to flip back you the other pages?

You need the piloting roll modified by talents and the ship. IE including the handling of the ship and things like skilled Jockey, You need gunnery Modified by targeting computers etc. 

It would be nice to have the difficulties for the maneuvers you have listed....Basically try and make the vehicle sheet reduce the amount of page flipping and looking in the book. 

I like the way GM Hooley's cheat sheets work. But you can do something he can't...You can do a lot of the die roll modifications so that things are easier. 

What about printing up an encounter sheet for the ship with your group as adversaries?  If you add your group members to the roster, their rolls will show up.

Then what is the point of having a vehicle sheet? I have done that in the past. But really it is kind of a pain to print out my character. Then print out an encounter just to get a vehicle page with my characters rolls. Also then you end up with 2 vehicle sheets because the encounter sheet doesn't have the speed and maneuver stuff. When you already did part of the work of making the vehicle sheet something useful. I would rather have the vehicle sheet fully implemented. You started to add the GM hooly ideas for a vehicle sheet. I kind of want everything one needs for vehicle combat on the vehicle sheet. 

Eliminate the additional 10 point cost for purchasing a specialization out of career.

Eliminate the additional 5 point cost for purchasing ranks in a non-class skill.

There may be more.

Thanks again Oggy!

These are a bad idea. They had something similar during the beta. It kind of makes ones career choice meaningless. The goal is to make choices matter per FFG. 

There may be more.

Thanks again Oggy!

These are a bad idea. They had something similar during the beta. It kind of makes ones career choice meaningless. The goal is to make choices matter per FFG. 

I have to agree. Choosing a career means that you have decided to specialize in something so you will be better at your specialization than at other things. Removing all the out of career penalties totally changes that dynamic. 

Dakkar was merely suggesting support for one of his house rules, I don't think he was looking to debate his house rule. This is a poor thread to do that in.

Dakkar was merely suggesting support for one of his house rules, I don't think he was looking to debate his house rule. This is a poor thread to do that in.

Those are not my house rules. 

Thus far, my group and I are playing "Rules as Written".

I only threw out the other suggestions to give other examples of possible GM Grants. I don't think anyone in my group (myself included) is interested in the others. We don't even use the grant that is in there.

I would like to play with the additional wounds added in from Brawn Dedications and additional Strain from Willpower Dedications. But we haven't as of yet because we use OggDudes program for our character sheets.

And, we pretty much do if it's not on your character sheet you don't have it.

Edited by Dakkar98

It's finally ready!  Should have everything from Desperate Allies, plus I added a few enhancements that have been requested.  Please let me know how it works for you and what bugs you find.

Release 1.4.6.0

New/Changed Data:

• Added all new data for the Desperate Allies sourcebook that came out earlier this week.
  • Added a new import for Desperate Allies containing all droid adversaries in the book.
  • The Keldabe-class battleship had an incorrect price.  This has been fixed.
  • The BTL-A4 Y-Wing's ion cannons were configured as a turret.  This weapon is only a turret in the S3 configuration.  This has been fixed.
  • The scattergun attachment is now limited to Pistols and Rifles.
  • X-30 Lancer had an incorrect Pierce quality.  It is now correctly set to 2.

Note:  The Kappa-class Shuttle from Desperate Allies is named "Kappa-Class Shuttle (Rebellion)" to differentiate it from the Imperial Kappa-class shuttle from the "Dead in the Water" adventure.  The two are slightly different.

New Features/Enhancements:

• Vehicle attachments now support a "multiply cost by passenger" flag to support Luxury Passenger Compartments in Desperate Allies.
  • Vehicles can now come with built-in attachments.  Only attachments with no optional mods may be included with a vehicle.
  • Updated the attachment and vehicle editors to support the above new features.
  • A new Rebel Base has been added to the base feature of GM Tools to support Desperate Allies. The new Rebel Base Core perk (reduced rarity when purchasing items) also shows up on the Add/Edit Group description pane, as well as the printed base sheet.
  • In GM Tools/Groups/Resources, the rebel base option will now create a rebel base for the group.
  • Defensive Training will now add the proper Defensive rating to any equipped melee, brawl, or lightsaber weapons.
  • Added a failed mod feature for item attachments.  When in the item attachment dialog, the option list will now have a new check box on the right.  If you fail to install a particular mod, just click the new check box for the mod in the option list.  This will flag the mod as "failed" and will not allow you to use it to upgrade the item.  This failed status will be save with the attachment.  To get the slot back, just uncheck the check box.
  • GM Grants now allows the GM to grant free specializations to a character.  Just check off which specializations will be free for this character.  Such specializations do not count when XP is calculated, but any purchased talents from that specialization will cost XP as usual.  If a specialization marked as free is currently not part of the character, it will automatically be added.  If a specialization is later marked as not being free, it will remain in the character, but will count against XP as normal.  You cannot remove a free specialization; you must first mark it as not being free, then remove it as normal.

Bug Fixes:

• In adversaries, there was an error calculating the proper wound and strain, based upon base stats.  This has been fixed.
  • In adversaries, when converting a PC to an adversary, talents from equipment were being applied multiple times.  This has been fixed.
  • Talents that change encumbrance on items were not being taken into account on the encumbrance summary line of equipment lists in the equipment page of the character sheet.  This has been fixed.
  • On the first page of the character sheet, when checking for cumbersome or unwieldy values, character talents were not being taken into consideration when calculating the values.  They will now be used.
  • The damage for lightsabers changed depending upon the order you bought certain attachments.  If you bought a crystal first, then a hilt, damage would be calculated correctly.  If you bought the crystal last, it would overwrite the additional damage from the hilt.  This has been fixed.

Hate to say it, but found a bug already with the new version.

It looks as if a character has the Defensive Training talent, the program is counting it twice, once from the talent (I presume) and once from the Defensive quality that's applied to the weapon by way of this talent.

So for instance, I've got a PC with one rank of Defensive Training and armored clothing, yet the program shows him as having Melee Defense 3.  If I unselect Defensive Training, his Melee Defense goes to down to one.  And if I select additional ranks of Defensive Training, then each rank purchased is providing a +2 boost to melee defense.

Edit: Correction to the above.  What's happening is that if a character is loaded equipped with two melee weapons that have the Defensive quality, the program is applying them both.  So for the PC mentioned above, he's got a lightsaber and combat gloves (reskinned brass knuckles) equipped, both of which have Defensive 1.  If I un-equip one or the other, the character's melee defense shows the correct value.

So probably still a bug in that as far as I understand it, multiple instances of Defensive shouldn't stack.  Unless there's been a dev answer that says otherwise.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Hate to say it, but found a bug already with the new version.

It looks as if a character has the Defensive Training talent, the program is counting it twice, once from the talent (I presume) and once from the Defensive quality that's applied to the weapon by way of this talent.

So for instance, I've got a PC with one rank of Defensive Training and armored clothing, yet the program shows him as having Melee Defense 3.  If I unselect Defensive Training, his Melee Defense goes to down to one.  And if I select additional ranks of Defensive Training, then each rank purchased is providing a +2 boost to melee defense.

Edit: Correction to the above.  What's happening is that if a character is loaded equipped with two melee weapons that have the Defensive quality, the program is applying them both.  So for the PC mentioned above, he's got a lightsaber and combat gloves (reskinned brass knuckles) equipped, both of which have Defensive 1.  If I un-equip one or the other, the character's melee defense shows the correct value.

So probably still a bug in that as far as I understand it, multiple instances of Defensive shouldn't stack.  Unless there's been a dev answer that says otherwise.

I'm actually not getting the Defensive Training to work still.  I've confirmed that I'm on 1.4.6.0, but when I select Defensive Training (both ranks from Niman is what I was doing, though I did also try it from Shien) and have one or more weapons equipped, I don't have any displayed Defense.  Any ideas?

I can, however, confirm that having two weapons with the Defensive quality equipped does count both of them in the builder.  Not sure if that's intended or not.