OggDude

Another Character Generator

Actually, the XML files for characters aren't self-sufficient.  They're merged with master data for the details.  I could create a stand-alone character file, if that would be beneficial.  You could export this file, then perform an XSL transformation on it to convert it into any other form you like it to be.

That could work, thanks!

I dont need all the details, so much as the finished product (like the PDF Output in HTML / XML / JSON format might work)

Have you thought about supporting export templates.  I use a program called PCGen for D&D and you can modify a template with {{BRAWN}} type of values spread throughout - this would allow users to create their own custom templates and share them with the community :)

Jason

I keep getting an error when attempting to download: 

Error (429)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

is there a way around this?

I'm about 75% of the way through entering all of the new Desperate Allies data, and when I'm done, I'll do another release.  In the mean time, if anyone has mentioned what they think is a bug in the past month or two, which either I haven't replied to that I fixed, or said that it wasn't a bug, could you post them again?  There hasn't been too many, but I want to make sure i get them all into the upcoming release.  Thanks!

I'm about 75% of the way through entering all of the new Desperate Allies data, and when I'm done, I'll do another release.  In the mean time, if anyone has mentioned what they think is a bug in the past month or two, which either I haven't replied to that I fixed, or said that it wasn't a bug, could you post them again?  There hasn't been too many, but I want to make sure i get them all into the upcoming release.  Thanks!

It would be nice to have more of the die codes for piloting and gunnery on the ship sheet. :) I like what you added to it.

It would be nice to have more of the die codes for piloting and gunnery on the ship sheet. :) I like what you added to it.

Not sure what you mean :)  Like the available action section?

First, I love your character generator! I don't know what I would do without it.
Automatic updating on it seems to be down. The drop box links are dead.

The ability to move items up and down in your inventory would be very helpful as opposed to removing items and adding them back in to move things around in your inventory.

Also, your cost for mods for attachments keeps increasing instead of being 100 credits each as written. It's worded slightly differently in EotE vs. AoR.
The wording concerning mods changed slightly from EotE to AoR. In EotE page 187, Section Installing Mods, paragraph 3, it says ... cost an additional 100 credits beyond the base cost. In AoR, page 199, same Section, Same paragraph, it simply states ... cost an additional 100 credits.

X-30 Lancer is supposed to be Accurate 1, Pierce 2. you have it as Accurate 1, Pierce 1, and no matter how many times I change it to Pierce 2, the change will not stick.

You cannot make an Item Cumbersome 2 or Unwieldly 2, even though there is the possibility for characters with a Brawn 1 or an Agility of 1. You can set it but it won't stick.

Thanks for all you do.
Edited by Dakkar98

First, I love your character generator! I don't know what I would do without it.

Sometimes, I wish he would delete the dropbox links, because they seem to be highly unreliable due to being temporarily deactivated for excessive bandwidth utilization.

Use the copy.com links instead.

Or maybe we could set up a BitTorrent solution?

Noticed a small .xml inconsistency as I have no life: the Street Tough - Minion.xml file in the Generator/Import/Edge of the Empire Core directory has a wound threshold of 4, but the CRB lists him as having 5 (page 396).

Looked around for errata or something to explain it, but no dice.

The ability to move items up and down in your inventory would be very helpful as opposed to removing items and adding them back in to move things around in your inventory.

Also, your cost for mods for attachments keeps increasing instead of being 100 credits each as written. It's worded slightly differently in EotE vs. AoR.
The wording concerning mods changed slightly from EotE to AoR. In EotE page 187, Section Installing Mods, paragraph 3, it says ... cost an additional 100 credits beyond the base cost. In AoR, page 199, same Section, Same paragraph, it simply states ... cost an additional 100 credits.

X-30 Lancer is supposed to be Accurate 1, Pierce 2. you have it as Accurate 1, Pierce 1, and no matter how many times I change it to Pierce 2, the change will not stick.

You cannot make an Item Cumbersome 2 or Unwieldly 2, even though there is the possibility for characters with a Brawn 1 or an Agility of 1. You can set it but it won't stick.

Thanks for all you do.

You can move items up and down by doing a drag and drop.  Just hold-click an item, move it up or down past another item, and let go of the mouse button.

I don't see how mod costs have changed.  Each one past the first increases the difficulty by one and the cost by 100.  I don't think this has changed between EotE and AoR.  I think they removed "beyond the base" because it was unneeded and confusing.

Fixed the Lancer.

There are currently items that are Cumbersome 2 (such as the Weequay Blaster Lance) which cause penalty on the character sheet with Brawn 1 species (such as Drall).  I'm not sure why you'd think that couldn't be set.

When you make changes to things, are you using the data editor, or are you just changing the XML files found in the install Data directory?  If you make changes directly to data, they won't be saved between installs, since everything in Data can change.  You need to make them to your custom data using the data editor.

Sometimes, I wish he would delete the dropbox links, because they seem to be highly unreliable due to being temporarily deactivated for excessive bandwidth utilization.

I looked into getting a pay account at DropBox and they want $9.99 a month or something like that, which is a bit ridiculous.  If anyone can recommend a cloud service like Copy.com that has a free (or reasonably priced) solution that doesn't cap public downloads, please let me know.

Noticed a small .xml inconsistency as I have no life: the Street Tough - Minion.xml file in the Generator/Import/Edge of the Empire Core directory has a wound threshold of 4, but the CRB lists him as having 5 (page 396).

Both versions correctly have a wound threshold of 5, but it shows up as 4 on the encounter sheet.  This bug affects all minions, and possibly all adversaries, but has been fixed for the next release.

Both versions correctly have a wound threshold of 5, but it shows up as 4 on the encounter sheet.  This bug affects all minions, and possibly all adversaries, but has been fixed for the next release.

Thanks for the quick response. I actually noticed this on the stat block.

I just discovered the encounter sheets you're referring to. Please run for President.

Would like to look at this, but unfortunately, Dropbox is not your friend.  How long do we have to wait before your account is cleared again or until you have a new host setup for this?

Would like to look at this, but unfortunately, Dropbox is not your friend.  How long do we have to wait before your account is cleared again or until you have a new host setup for this?

Try the Copy.com link in his signature.

You can move items up and down by doing a drag and drop.  Just hold-click an item, move it up or down past another item, and let go of the mouse button.

I don't see how mod costs have changed.  Each one past the first increases the difficulty by one and the cost by 100.  I don't think this has changed between EotE and AoR.  I think they removed "beyond the base" because it was unneeded and confusing.

Fixed the Lancer.

There are currently items that are Cumbersome 2 (such as the Weequay Blaster Lance) which cause penalty on the character sheet with Brawn 1 species (such as Drall).  I'm not sure why you'd think that couldn't be set.

When you make changes to things, are you using the data editor, or are you just changing the XML files found in the install Data directory?  If you make changes directly to data, they won't be saved between installs, since everything in Data can change.  You need to make them to your custom data using the data editor.

I didn't Know about the Drag and Drop option. Thanks for letting me know.

The Mods cost didn't change, the wording did. I figured the cost error in the program was due to a misinterpretation of the odd wording.

My interpretation is different.

"To install a mod, the user selects one uninstalled modification option. He then spends 100 credits ... snip ... costs an additional 100 credits."

It doesn't matter whether it's the first or last, the mods are 100 credits each. For best clarity, the final sentence should read "another 100 credits." or "Each additional mod installed costs 100 credits and the difficulty increases by one per mod after the first."

Otherwise, it would say each "more arduous and expensive."

It should be 100 for each Mod, not 100 for the 1st, 200 for the 2nd, 300 for the 3rd, ... etc.

Thanks.

I was creating a new item. I got it to work today, I had to set the number, then check the box. I had been checking the box, then trying to change the number, and it kept resetting the number.

I looked into getting a pay account at DropBox and they want $9.99 a month or something like that, which is a bit ridiculous.  If anyone can recommend a cloud service like Copy.com that has a free (or reasonably priced) solution that doesn't cap public downloads, please let me know.

Would there be a copyright issue if you created a Patreon service. I think a whole heap of folks would pay a monthly subscription for access to a better place to download your program...and get updates.

Just a thought.

-A way to track failed modification attempts

-The order of lightsaber mods effects the damage - Crystal then extended hilt is different than hilt then crystal

-Defensive training!

-Dice pools on the ship sheet would be fantastic - some section where it shows the character's piloting and gunnery so I don't have to flip back a couple pages every time it's called for.

Fixed the Lancer.

I didn't Know about the Drag and Drop option. Thanks for letting me know.

The Mods cost didn't change, the wording did. I figured the cost error in the program was due to a misinterpretation of the odd wording.

My interpretation is different.

"To install a mod, the user selects one uninstalled modification option. He then spends 100 credits ... snip ... costs an additional 100 credits."

It doesn't matter whether it's the first or last, the mods are 100 credits each. For best clarity, the final sentence should read "another 100 credits." or "Each additional mod installed costs 100 credits and the difficulty increases by one per mod after the first."

Otherwise, it would say each "more arduous and expensive."

It should be 100 for each Mod, not 100 for the 1st, 200 for the 2nd, 300 for the 3rd, ... etc.

Thanks.

I was creating a new item. I got it to work today, I had to set the number, then check the box. I had been checking the box, then trying to change the number, and it kept resetting the number.

That's actually how I read it originally, but I was schooled by everyone as to the actual rules :)  There's probably a dev question on this.  I'll check to be sure.

The ship sheets aren't really designed for assigned roles and dice pools.  However, you can get the same result by going into GM Tools and setting up an encounter.  Just add the adversary versions of the PCs that you want included, add your ship, then assign vehicle positions to the ship (pilot, gunners, etc).  When you go to print, just remove the initiative tracker and include the ship and you've got exactly what you're looking for.

-A way to track failed modification attempts

-The order of lightsaber mods effects the damage - Crystal then extended hilt is different than hilt then crystal

-Defensive training!

-Dice pools on the ship sheet would be fantastic - some section where it shows the character's piloting and gunnery so I don't have to flip back a couple pages every time it's called for.

See my last post about how to set up an encounter sheet for your ship rosters.

The lightsaber thing is kind of weird.  I'm not sure why it's doing that.  I'll have to play with it.  Is there a particular combo that causes the issue?

The reason I don't track failed mod attempts is that 1) it's more work :) and 2) I don't want to be a stickler about it in case a GM wants to allow another attempt.  Plus, the generator doesn't actually roll dice, so you'd have to tell it that you failed to begin with.  I'll see if there might be a simple way of doing this.

And defensive training... sigh... I looked into it and it's actually more work than you'd expect.  I do do something similar with cumbersome and encumbrance values, so maybe I can figure out something that won't break a bunch of other things :)  I'll let you know.

The lightsaber thing is kind of weird.  I'm not sure why it's doing that.  I'll have to play with it.  Is there a particular combo that causes the issue?

What happens for me is that when you create a lightsaber with an ilum crystal it will set the lightsaber damage to 6.  When you add a superior mod it changes the damage to 7.  If you remove the ilum crystal and add a barab ingot, it will change the base to 8 instead of 9.  Same exact thing happens with extended hilt's damage bonus.  What seems to be happening is that if you have any + damage bonus attachments installed before the crystal they won't apply their damage bonus.  You can fix this by removing the attachments not applying their damage bonus and re-adding them so that they're below the crystal in the item attachment window.  Non-damage bonuses don't seem to be affected.

Edited by mattgawl

What happens for me is that when you create a lightsaber with an ilum crystal it will set the lightsaber damage to 6.  When you add a superior mod it changes the damage to 7.  If you remove the ilum crystal and add a barab ingot, it will change the base to 8 instead of 9.  Same exact thing happens with extended hilt's damage bonus.  What seems to be happening is that if you have any + damage bonus attachments installed before the crystal they won't apply their damage bonus.  You can fix this by removing the attachments not applying their damage bonus and re-adding them so that they're below the crystal in the item attachment window.  Non-damage bonuses don't seem to be affected.

It's been fixed now.  If the crystal was found last, it would write over the damage, since crystals replace the base damage for a lightsaber.  I now differentiate between bonus damage and base damage when calculating the final result.

You mention "it has been fixed" a bit lately OggDude, does that mean there is a newer version ready? or it will be in the Desperate Allies release?

Yup, a new release will be forthcoming.  I've added everything for Desperate Allies, plus I've fixed a bunch of stuff and added a few new features that have been requested.  I'm still testing right now, so hopefully by the end of the week.

Not sure what you mean :)  Like the available action section?

Look at the vehicle sheet and What skills do you need on the vehicle sheet so one does not have to flip back you the other pages?

You need the piloting roll modified by talents and the ship. IE including the handling of the ship and things like skilled Jockey, You need gunnery Modified by targeting computers etc. 

It would be nice to have the difficulties for the maneuvers you have listed....Basically try and make the vehicle sheet reduce the amount of page flipping and looking in the book. 

I like the way GM Hooley's cheat sheets work. But you can do something he can't...You can do a lot of the die roll modifications so that things are easier.