OggDude

Another Character Generator

FYI, when I tried to download the character generator on my new machine this morning, I got the following error:

Error (429)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Try the Copy.com link in his signature. The Dropbox link is typically dead due to the reason in your comment.

Hi.  I'm a little new.  I've been using this for a while, but haven't chimed in on the forums yet.  I'm on 1.4.5.3, and, for some reason, I can't bring the "Adversary" talent on one of my homebrew adversaries up beyond a rank of 2. The ticker will go up to any number I choose, but when I update, it doesn't take. Is there something I'm missing in the rules, or is this a bug?

Have you looked into onedrive, box, google drive, or file lockers? I know onedrive and box have clients/services similar to dropbox so it is convenient.

Yes the launcher is working.  I have been using the Copy.com web install as well for a reinstall to see if that would solve the problem but the problem persists with the reinstall.

Then your issue is with the SQL Server CE installation.  There's a conflict somewhere.  Check to see if you have it installed, and uninstall it if you do.  Alternatively, you can try removing the System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll file from the application directory and see if it works.

So I got it working...but the solution is an oddity.  I had to search through a lot of files on my computer to delete all the old versions of this app from it as for some reason it kept saving things in different spots.  But once I cleared out everything I used the manual install - just extracted the files to a folder on my desktop and everything started up.

If I could make a suggestion for a future update - an uninstall option would be helpful in case others have a similar problem.

Yes the launcher is working.  I have been using the Copy.com web install as well for a reinstall to see if that would solve the problem but the problem persists with the reinstall.

Then your issue is with the SQL Server CE installation.  There's a conflict somewhere.  Check to see if you have it installed, and uninstall it if you do.  Alternatively, you can try removing the System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll file from the application directory and see if it works.

So I got it working...but the solution is an oddity.  I had to search through a lot of files on my computer to delete all the old versions of this app from it as for some reason it kept saving things in different spots.  But once I cleared out everything I used the manual install - just extracted the files to a folder on my desktop and everything started up.

If I could make a suggestion for a future update - an uninstall option would be helpful in case others have a similar problem.

If you use the web install, there is an uninstall option.  Just go to the Programs control panel, find the app, and choose uninstall.

First off I have to say I love the program. I have run into a quandary though. My group just joined the Rebellion, and since we were all intending to take the Recruit specilization the GM awarded it for free and said it wouldn't count towards our totals. I was wondering if there was a way to do this in the program?

First off I have to say I love the program. I have run into a quandary though. My group just joined the Rebellion, and since we were all intending to take the Recruit specilization the GM awarded it for free and said it wouldn't count towards our totals. I was wondering if there was a way to do this in the program?

Just award the XP required to get the specialization. done.

OggDude tries not to support House Rules into his builder.

Yeah, the only real "house rule" I have is the option of removing the Obligation option limit.  However, this sort of thing is what "GM Grants" were put in for.  Currently, the only grant is a free FR 1, which a number of people requested.  I've read that a lot of people like giving away the "Recruit" tree as a reward in lieu of XP.  So, depending on how many people want this feature, and how difficult it's going to be to add :) I could sneak it into GM Grants.

Yeah, the only real "house rule" I have is the option of removing the Obligation option limit.  However, this sort of thing is what "GM Grants" were put in for.  Currently, the only grant is a free FR 1, which a number of people requested.  I've read that a lot of people like giving away the "Recruit" tree as a reward in lieu of XP.  So, depending on how many people want this feature, and how difficult it's going to be to add :) I could sneak it into GM Grants.

What about a "hidden XP" bucket in the GM grants section. A GM can grant 20 XP (or whatever) that a PC can use to purchase the talent tree but it doesn't affect the visible XP totals that (Total XP, XP spent, ect..) on the character sheet*. And it gives the ability for GMs allow for different houserules than just a free spec (they could grant a free rank in something, ect..).

Obviously, with the suggestion above, you'll still have an issue of your specialization tax being off by 10xp, but that may be solved by granting additional hidden XP.

*I have a house rule in one of the games I am running. With this house rule, I don't deal with the specialization tax. In-career and universal specs are a flat 20, and out-of-career specs are a flat 30. Currently I have to grant additional XP to my players if they purchase a spec that would have carried the tax. This throws off the XP totals on their sheets compared to my notes. The easiest solution is to make sure we all keep notes on where that extra XP is coming from. So it's not a huge deal. Just a personal wish.

What about a "hidden XP" bucket in the GM grants section. [...]

I support this option.

*Bug/typo*

*The Protector 1 Combat Armor and Anti-Concussive Armor in Dangerous Covenants is on page 51 when the default page it's given in the generator is page 49.

*Same as above except for the Business description is on page 84 instead of 82.

* I noticed when I put a mod on a basic lightsber then the crystal the damage wasn't calculated properly. The specific example I was doing was making a Krate Dragon Pearl lightsaber with an extended hilt mod, I put the extended hilt mod on 1st and then the crystal and the damage showed it to be one less than it should be. So I removed all mods and added the crystal 1st then the hilt and it worked fine. Not sure this was intentional or not.

I did have a question. I have been busy importing all the descriptions from the books and I came across "Base Foci" and was wonder what exactly am I supposed to put in here? I thought maybe just the skill associated with the Foci but am not sure. What did you put?

Edited by sevick

It's been a long while since I've caught an update, and when I went to the download link I got the following message:

Error (429)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled![/size]

I'm not sure how long "temporarily" means.

However, as others in the thread have noted, the copy.com version worked just fine.

Edited by bandersnee

Hello,

This is great!  I love how it helps a newbie build a character for the first time.

I would love to see an Export format to have it export into various formats.  As a .NET C# programmer I would be willing to look into this function personally if you don't mind sharing the source code with me :)

1st off Love the program!!!!

As for house rules which I have a lot of freebies or adjustments I am using the data editor.  I have the player go into their species and just adjust their starting species XP.  Then I have them rename their species in all Upper case so it shows up as a different species than the original just in case they want another character later with the same species.  I also do this for all my NPCs that I create using the generator.  Its been working out great.  The players still have an accurate total awarded XP, but they also have a total XP value of their characters since the starting XP accounts for my discounted specialization tax, bonus talent or skill I may give them, and the starting bonus Characteristics I start all players with. 

Again great program

Hello,

This is great!  I love how it helps a newbie build a character for the first time.

I would love to see an Export format to have it export into various formats.  As a .NET C# programmer I would be willing to look into this function personally if you don't mind sharing the source code with me :)

what formats do you need? It already can export xml and you can print to PDF....

Personally I would like a format that is easily readable / postable on a Forum for PbP games.  Specifically I am in an RPOL game, so it would be nice if each skill was in the format of Stealth: <Green>2A</Green> <Yellow>1P</Yellow> (2 Ability 1 Proficiency)  But this could easily be edited for PHPBB3 color formats.

Here is a full character sheet that someone built manually.  Obviously the format for each skill I would prefer what I posted above (2Abiltiy 1 Proficency instead of just marking 1) however this is done manually so it wasnt done for every skill.  Class skills are marked with an ! (however a * would work just as good)

Attributes

Brawn: 2
Agility: 4 (40 XP)
Intellect: 3 (30 XP)
Cunning: 3 (30 XP)
Willpower: 1
Presence: 2

Wound Threshold: 12
Wound Taken: 0
Strain Threshold: 11
Strain Taken: 0
Soak: 3
Melee Defence: 0
Ranged Defence: 0

Skills

General

Astrogation (Int)
! Athletics (Br)
Charm (Pr)
Coercion (Will)
! Computers (Int) - 1
Cool (Pr)
! Coordination (Ag)
Deception (Cun)
Discipline (Will)
Leadership (Pr)
! Mechanics (Int) - 1
Medicine (Int)
Negotiation (Pr)
! Perception (Cun)
Piloting - Planetary (Ag)
! Piloting - Space (Ag)
Resilience (Br)
! Skulduggery (Cun) - 1
! Stealth (Ag) - 1
Streetwise (Cun)
Survival (Cun) - 1
! Vigilance (Will)

Combat

Brawl (Br)
Gunnery (Ag)
Melee (Br)
! Ranged - Light (Ag) - 1
Ranged - Heavy (Ag)

Knowledge

Core Worlds (Int)
Education (Int) - 1
Lore (Int)
Outer Rim (Int)
Underworld (Int)
Warfare (Int)
Xenology (Int)

Talents

Expert Tracker - 1
— Remove [setback] per rank for checks to find/follow tracks; Tracking checks take 50% less time

Equipment

Heavy Clothing
— Defence 0, Soak 1, Encum 1, HP 0

2 x Stun Grenade
— Ranged (Light)
— Damage 8, Crit NA, Short, Encum 1, HP 0
— Disorient 3, Stun Damage, Blast 8, Limited Ammo 1

Fusion Cutter
— Melee
— Damage 8, Crit 3, Engaged, Encum 2
— Breach 1, Burn 3, Sunder, Vicious 3

Commlink (Handheld)

2 x Glow Rod
— Encum 1

167 cr

I was just working on a new set of ships for a campaign and I was realizing that there needed to be a way to add inherent modifications to those ships.  I realize that I can do that with Stock Vehicles, however, it would be nice to be able to add them to the base vehicles themselves for instances where the base vehicle (or item) has a modification inherent in its design.

Oggdude, I'd like to say that your wonderful program has cost me a lot of money in ink.  I'm not saying that the printed pages use too much ink.  They look great and the simplified format I use for most of my printing is pretty efficient. 

I am saying that your program is so useful, most especially the GM Tools encounter creator, that I print 20+ pages per session in preparation.  :)

Thanks again for your incredible work.

Personally I would like a format that is easily readable / postable on a Forum for PbP games.  Specifically I am in an RPOL game, so it would be nice if each skill was in the format of Stealth: <Green>2A</Green> <Yellow>1P</Yellow> (2 Ability 1 Proficiency)  But this could easily be edited for PHPBB3 color formats.

Here is a full character sheet that someone built manually.  Obviously the format for each skill I would prefer what I posted above (2Abiltiy 1 Proficency instead of just marking 1) however this is done manually so it wasnt done for every skill.  Class skills are marked with an ! (however a * would work just as good)

Attributes

Brawn: 2
Agility: 4 (40 XP)
Intellect: 3 (30 XP)
Cunning: 3 (30 XP)
Willpower: 1
Presence: 2

Wound Threshold: 12
Wound Taken: 0
Strain Threshold: 11
Strain Taken: 0
Soak: 3
Melee Defence: 0
Ranged Defence: 0

Skills

General

Astrogation (Int)
! Athletics (Br)
Charm (Pr)
Coercion (Will)
! Computers (Int) - 1
Cool (Pr)
! Coordination (Ag)
Deception (Cun)
Discipline (Will)
Leadership (Pr)
! Mechanics (Int) - 1
Medicine (Int)
Negotiation (Pr)
! Perception (Cun)
Piloting - Planetary (Ag)
! Piloting - Space (Ag)
Resilience (Br)
! Skulduggery (Cun) - 1
! Stealth (Ag) - 1
Streetwise (Cun)
Survival (Cun) - 1
! Vigilance (Will)

Combat

Brawl (Br)
Gunnery (Ag)
Melee (Br)
! Ranged - Light (Ag) - 1
Ranged - Heavy (Ag)

Knowledge

Core Worlds (Int)
Education (Int) - 1
Lore (Int)
Outer Rim (Int)
Underworld (Int)
Warfare (Int)
Xenology (Int)

Talents

Expert Tracker - 1
— Remove [setback] per rank for checks to find/follow tracks; Tracking checks take 50% less time

Equipment

Heavy Clothing
— Defence 0, Soak 1, Encum 1, HP 0

2 x Stun Grenade
— Ranged (Light)
— Damage 8, Crit NA, Short, Encum 1, HP 0
— Disorient 3, Stun Damage, Blast 8, Limited Ammo 1

Fusion Cutter
— Melee
— Damage 8, Crit 3, Engaged, Encum 2
— Breach 1, Burn 3, Sunder, Vicious 3

Commlink (Handheld)

2 x Glow Rod
— Encum 1

167 cr

Well the saved files are .xml...so i don't see any reason why you can't get what ever you are using to parse the .xml that exists.