Sign in to follow this  
kelann08

Dice App Updated - Now Cancels Symbols

Yup, that one thing we've been clamoring for has come to pass: the FFG dice app now has an option in settings that will have it cancel out matching results (success and failure cancel, etc) and give you the "net roll".  There's no animation or anything fancy.  Just roll the dice like usual and the results at the bottom are the net result.  If you want the "gross result" or raw data, you'll have to read the dice. 

Fantastic addition to the app, especially making it an option for those who prefer to do their own interpretation. 

Also - it works for X-Wing as well. 

Fantastic.  Another question.

In the app, do Despairs cancel successes, but also still display as a Despair (since they get adjudicated regardless of cancellations), as per the rules?

(this also applies to Triumph and failures)

I'm assuming so since it's the official FFG app, just curious.

@Rookhelm,

• You bet your sweet bippy
  • Sure thing jelly bean
  • You assume correctly, and curiosity killed the cathar so stop it

:edit:  Source for the above assurances = I just furiously shook my iPhone in front of my face until I could confirm.  #PlayTestingForReelz

Edited by Callidon

See below.  Seems to work just fine.  Two failures cancel two success but the despair remains and the triumph is counted alongside the success it contributes.  Took me a long time to roll a triumph and despair at the same time...

7726913_orig.png

See below.  Seems to work just fine.  Two failures cancel two success but the despair remains and the triumph is counted alongside the success it contributes.  Took me a long time to roll a triumph and despair at the same time...

[image snipped to conserve space]

This is *exactly* what I've been hoping for.  Now I may end up never using the two sets of physical dice I own at this point, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Edited by Voice

This is *exactly* what I've been hoping for.  Now I may end up never using the two sets of physical dice I own at this point, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Oh, I'm sure you'll wind up still using those dice.  As handy as the dice app is, there's just something about the tactile sensation of actually assembling and rolling the physical dice as opposed to making selections via a touch-screen interface.

Plus it seems that after this update (for me at least), the dice roller app really doesn't like me, as I did a bunch of test rolls using various dice pools, and only had successes/advantage on a very small margin, even where the difficulty was very low (one or two purple).  That and it gave me an abundance of Despair when challenge dice were involved.  Where on the contrary, my physical dice have been rolling pretty well for me, especially after I started keeping them in the Death Star ornament that came with the Lego TIE Interceptor mini.

Oh, I'm sure you'll wind up still using those dice.  As handy as the dice app is, there's just something about the tactile sensation of actually assembling and rolling the physical dice as opposed to making selections via a touch-screen interface.

Plus it seems that after this update (for me at least), the dice roller app really doesn't like me, as I did a bunch of test rolls using various dice pools, and only had successes/advantage on a very small margin, even where the difficulty was very low (one or two purple).  That and it gave me an abundance of Despair when challenge dice were involved.  Where on the contrary, my physical dice have been rolling pretty well for me, especially after I started keeping them in the Death Star ornament that came with the Lego TIE Interceptor mini.

It's hard to say because our human brains want to find patterns in randomness where none exists, but I too "felt" like I was having the dice stacked against me (before this latest update).   Changing the "Shake Sensitivity" seemed to make it "feel" more random.  I just adjusted it to a point where I "felt" it was right.

But again, it's all about our pathetic organic brains totally hating chaos and randomness and trying so desperately to find order amongst disorder (and why so many of us have superstitions over our dice).

But again, it's all about our pathetic organic brains totally hating chaos and randomness and trying so desperately to find order amongst disorder (and why so many of us have superstitions over our dice).

We've been built to find patterns in the noise to try and spot predators hiding in the brush. It is hard to override several million years of evolution. It's also hard to override "instinct" about what is "normal", especially on something like dice rolls, where patterns seem to appear just from the mean/variance of a system.

True randomness does allow for patterns (like clusters of things or a sudden streak of the same thing) where pseudorandomness (what we think is random) removes such things. Take 20 people and ask them to spread out randomly through a room. They won't. They'll just try and "randomly" space themselves nearly evenly apart, heheh. You won't find a few people standing near each other (unless the space is too small for all of them, heheh).