Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Rules for Damaging Structures?

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but does this system have rules for damaging structures? I'm thinking of a situation in which the PCs need to break through the front gate of a wealthy estate. 

Thanks for the assistance with this.

-Nate

Just had this in a game last night. A bounty hunter and her partner needed to $natch (spell it with a 's' and it gets edited) a mark out of his penthouse. Partner fires a missle tube and blasts a hole through the windows, bounty hunter zooms into the opening on her swoop and proceeds to whup much butt.

We treated the window as a vehicle with Armor 1 and HTT 1 (equivalent to WT 10). The missile had Breach 1, so the armor was ignored, and the damage was enough to exceed the HTT assigned, so we just ruled the window was blown out.

Still just a "wing it" answer, but it may be helpful.

Edited by HappyDaze

Yeah, that's probably the best way to do it.  Just kinda wing it.  XD.  Judge what their trying to blast and if the weapon doing the blasting is going to get the job done.  Then just kinda go with it.

I would do the same. Just take into consideration what they are trying to go through and what they are using. Also consider the story. If its a clever solution and isn't screwing up the story too bad I would let them do it.

If you want to get more technical about it you can always look up real life equivalents of things. I imagine the concepts would be very similar in the star wars universe. For instance anti armor weapons. Those tend not to make big holes in things. 

In the end just do whatever is fun for the players.

If you want to get more technical about it you can always look up real life equivalents of things. I imagine the concepts would be very similar in the star wars universe. For instance anti armor weapons. Those tend not to make big holes in things. 

In this game anti-armor is Breach while making big holes in things is Blast. You'll find that these two things show up together more often that not in EotE.

Ship scale weapons do ten times as much damage as character size weapons.  An air bike with an auto blaster can do quite a bit of harm.

Yep, and oddly those vehicle-mounted weapons are not Restricted like the (much less powerful) Heavy Repeating Blaster. I really think that the rules on what is Restricted should be reworked as they make so little sense.

In this game anti-armor is Breach while making big holes in things is Blast. You'll find that these two things show up together more often that not in EotE.

I hadn't really thought about the breach and blast properties. I'll have to keep what you said in mine. Haven't used anything with those properties in my group yet. Bit terrified of my group getting stuff like that. Not going to stop them, I just know my group.....

For damaging structures I'd do as the suggestions above indicate.

A normal door would perhaps be 1 HTT, but no armour, whereas a blast door would perhaps have 2 HTT if not 3, and 1 armour.

Walls and buildings should have sectioned HTT and armour.

Breach would be essential to breaking through walls and reinforced doors, blast would causes excess damage to other sections, thereby risking a complete building collapse (if appropriate of course) when trying to blast away the door... :ph34r:

Ship scale weapons do ten times as much damage as character size weapons.  An air bike with an auto blaster can do quite a bit of harm.

Yep, and oddly those vehicle-mounted weapons are not Restricted like the (much less powerful) Heavy Repeating Blaster. I really think that the rules on what is Restricted should be reworked as they make so little sense.

Heck I hadn't even thought of that...   Your adventurers could all show up on air bikes, and just trash the place.  (Clean up would require a wet vac, and few garbage bags.)  The best part?  Those guns are easy to move!

Technically, you can't take an air bike everywhere.  But then the players are here to do some crimes and break laws.

Probably the only way you could keep your players from doing that too often is to let them know that its an unusual technique, and a lot of people will be looking for the players now.

Suddenly that thread on maxing out player Soak isn't sounding so bad;

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/87233-highest-pc-soak-value/

The way it would probably go down at my table:

Nosepicking Slouch of a Gamer (NSG):  I wanna blow up that bidunz wall

GM:  What the aych is a bidun NSG?

NSG: Comeon mayn the <potty talk> bill deeeeeeng, kay?

GM:  With what will you blow it, satchel mouth?

NSG:  Mayn, Ima slap you when this is over.  Just you wait you skinny jeans wearin mutha.... 

Other Gamer (OG):  ... girls girls don't make me turn on the hose ... Dude Jess we got a missle tube last time, we're obviously using that.

GM:  You will address me as Master or The Game...one setback dice for using my given name in a forum post...Anyway, let's talk collateral damage.  I just want you to roll a simple check.  If you end up with net failures, the wall is gonna come down but in a less favorable way.  For every threat that crops up I'm going to dust a bystander which will shorten the response time for the fuzz to start showing up.  If we see a Triumph then it is going to be as awesome as Han blowing up the Death Star shield generator and taking no damage 50ft away crouching behind a fern, and everything you would want to happen for detonating explosives in an urban setting will go your way. Savy?

NSGI'm rollin.  *clack clack*  OOOOOOHHHHHHHH suck it Skinny Jeans!!!  That wall is comin' down like you momma's <serious potty talk>

GM:  *flips a Dark Side point* A cart of space bees tips over in the street near your current position, and they swarm you NSG.  OG and the rest of you can go explore your perfectly detonated wall hole.

>Fade to black<

Note...I don't typically abuse gamers in such a way...the above was for jovial fun

This week I also had players try to blow a hole in a wall.

They were using grenades instead, but the wall was fortified, and after frantic searching through the book mid-session, I went with the same "3 hits" that most items get.

1 succcessful attack, gives the item +1 setback to use (I think)

2nd attck = 2 setbacks (I think)

3rd attack = destroys/disables the item.