Sign in to follow this  
DavetheLost

Gands, where is the love?

What do the adventure writers for this game have against the Gand?

We have twelve pre generated characters, 2 droids, 2 Wookiees, 1 Rodian, 1 Trandoshan,, 1 Bothan, 1 Twi'lek, and 4 Humans, no representatives of the eighth playable species.

Long Arm of the Hutt features not one, but two Gamd bounty hunters gunning for the party. These are the only Gands appearing in the published support materials for EotE that I can find.

Lots of other species appear as NPCs, thugs, villains, background, or allies. Some are playable others are not.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the only times one of the playable species appear in the game they are adversaries?

*This post sponsored by the Gand Anti-Defamation League*

As a player of a Gand, I agree that it is odd, however, looking at what little they put into the write up of the Gand it does make sense that they are "bad guys".

"Off-worlders are most familiar with with the religious sect know as the "findsman."  These are the Gand who leave their home planet on ritualistic hunts to catch prey and bring divine blessings to their people." (One could say Bounty Hunters)  With the FFG made adventures, the party seems to not be in the best of situations from the get go.  

With that said, my party loves Gand! He was the only one crazy enough to jump from the top of one cargo truck to another cargo truck while at 70KMPH.  After a nice, but rough chase scene and dispatching the bandits on top, Gand climbed into the cargo hold through the hatch dispatching the driver and bringing the truck to a safe stop.  Net one, albeit beat up, speeder truck that made our employer happy.

There is no greater honor for Gand, then to be offered the Janwuine-jika.

Application submitted to the Gand Anti-Defamation League and F.U.G.L.I.

Edited by Dex Vulen

I reskin NPCs as needed. I have used minions and Rivals that are listed as species X... and just made them something else.

So far I have had my party encounter: Gands, Falleen, Ubese, Weequay, Kaleesh, Ishi Tib, devaronian, Rodian. I make 1 or 2 new tokens (using Roll20) for a species each session to expand my collection

My group has already decided that my Gand is basically Zoidberg.

A player in my group is a Gand and when his translator droid (another player) isn't around, he just starts making these nonsense noises instead of talking, claiming to be speaking Gand. It's simply a riot. For his motivation, he simply wrote "Be Gand-like at all times"

Gands can't dance, just ask anyone.  Twi'leks are popular dancers.

Oh and if you want a private dance with a green Twi'lek, your last name has to be Kirk...

I was playing a game with a Gand named Yootko helping the players. Like with most NPCs, he was unliked and viewed as eccentric, and was pitted against the team because he was a help-all-people kinda guy, and one of the players was a kill-'em-all kinda guy. Thusly, Gands are less liked. Pity.

I'm now joining the Gand Anti-Defamation League and F.U.G.L.I.

Gand are amazing and anyone who says otherwise are really mean :(.

I mean, look at this cutie.  He's Yuun, a trooper companion in SWTOR.  Spoilers for said story, but look at this little guy go.

I think part of the problem with the Gand is that their mindset is literally alien to most players.  We're raised in a society that encourages us to think of ourselves as individuals.  The Gand are the complete opposite, to the point most of them won't even use their given name unless they've done something truly notable, and even then are likely to slip back into using "Gand" if they feel they've screwed up badly enough (a habit of the Gand pilot from the X-Wing Rogue Squadron books).

I admit that I like the species, but they can be tough to roleplay, and some folks prefer to play characters that they can relate to on some level, even if it's a minor one such as playing a Human or Near-Human or just the same gender.  I'm certainly guilty of it, with my preferred character type in Star Wars being Human/Near-Human males; I'll occasionally step out of that type, especially for a one-shot, but not very often.

Yeah, I tend not to play females in face-to-face roleplay because it is immersion breaking.  I do it for GMing obviously, but that's different.  I can see how Gand would be hard to play, but it would be a challenge that I would probably really enjoy given the right opportunity.

I can see how Gand would be hard to play, but it would be a challenge that I would probably really enjoy given the right opportunity.

Some gamers aren't necessarily looking for a "challenge" in their roleplaying, but instead simply just want to kick back, roll some dice, and have fun with their buddies.

Not saying either approach is wrong (looking for RP challenges or not), but some folks just don't have it in them to be amateur thespians and truly embrace an oddball character role.

I will admit that I am not the strongest of RPers.  

With Gand I just keep his comments short and splash in Dirty Harryesque one liners.

After watching the above video, I think I have some more ideas to work with. 

I've always loved the downgrade of name based on guilt/shame etc.

Of course, to use it more than alternating between family name and "Gand" you have to have learned a "skill" but I can see an EotE character having already attained that. Of course, you probably wouldn't be far enough to be able to use the personal pronoun, but that could be a great thing to work towards.

It adds an interesting layer of meaning in conversation to downgrade your name when speaking.

It is my hope that by the end of AoR, Gand will be able to use his name.  I make a point of doing heroic stuff that legends are made of (as we all do).  Stuff that could likely end up with Gand in a grave, but it's so fun and tense.  Had I not made the jump from one cargo speeder to the next I'm sure it would have ended badly.

That's the easy part.

What I am working on now is how to socially act as a Gand.  With minimal career social skills and a low Presence score, it sure does make for awkward outcomes when I try to turn on the Charm, but it's fun!

I will admit that I am not the strongest of RPers.  

With Gand I just keep his comments short and splash in Dirty Harryesque one liners.

After watching the above video, I think I have some more ideas to work with. 

You can totally find some more action shots of Yuun talking and doing things if you look around on Youtube, if you want some more inspiration :D.

I can see how Gand would be hard to play, but it would be a challenge that I would probably really enjoy given the right opportunity.

Some gamers aren't necessarily looking for a "challenge" in their roleplaying, but instead simply just want to kick back, roll some dice, and have fun with their buddies.

Not saying either approach is wrong (looking for RP challenges or not), but some folks just don't have it in them to be amateur thespians and truly embrace an oddball character role.

Yeah, I can totally see how some people wouldn't be all about that.  I am constantly striving to better my roleplaying and storytelling, so I like challenging myself with difficult roles (that I know I will still enjoy) to branch out.  But I can see why some people would be more content to just shed their boring skin and shoot a blaster as something more basic and easier to get in to the mind set of.  It is cathartic and fun either way :D