Sign in to follow this  
basilisk 51

Imperial Capital Ship

I am super excited for the big ship release and am really happy they are keeping the 100 points games for tournaments and bringing in new game modes. We have played several 400 point games in 2v2 or 1v1 and they have been fun.  I had a discussion at our local group about what large ship the Imperials might get.  One of our members mentioned something i thought would be amazing. The dreadnaught.  I am not sure how big it is but i think it could be scaled well and still be, the dreadnaught.  That or the tartan patrol ship. Either way i think both of these ships would be perfect.  A star destroyer would be amazine but i think even scaled it might be impractical for anything but special order. I also really like what they did with the transport because i have bought it already in just xwings so now i can have more pilots and more upgrades with a really nice looking model for not to much.  But back to the imperials It would be nice to have a few more named imperial pilots who aren't in a tie fighter maybe more bomber or interceptor pilots to come with our ship :).  I am curious to see how the big ships are going work but i am looking forward to trying out these new game types with these ships.  Does anyone know if the dreadnaught would be impractical or if it would work if they scaled it the same as the blockade runner?

Yeah i would have to agree.  I just looked it up. The dreadnaught is the same length as a victory class star destroyer.  With this in mind though i think the dreadnaught would be a better choice between the two because you don't have the width to deal with.  It really seems like they are focusing on playability which i believe is a great thing.  The triangle of a star destroyer being to large for ships to be easilly maneuverable under would be a problem.  The nebulon-b frigate would be a great addition.  It didnt look to long in The Empire strikes back with the Falcon docked under it, but i think empire needs something first.  I appreciate the link I totally agree with the broadside being the Imperial ship of choice. That thing looks amazing and would get my vote if the dreadnaught was ever out of the question..

I still don't understand the selection of the Star Galleon. Isn't it just a troop transport? I guess it could counter the tuna boat...

My thoughts on countering the CR90 could be the CR90a (Assasin-class, unlikely given smilarities), the Lancer, or the Carrack. Carracks were the counterparts to Rebel corvettes in the game Rebellion and Lancers are perfect anti-fighter ships that are small enough to be on the table.

Nebulon-B and Nebulon-B2s are just too big. Anything larger is impractical, and taking this "relative scaling" too far imo.

What about something like this? 

star-wars-rebels-ghost-concept-art.jpg

Technically within the Galactic Civil War era? Of course there's the question of licensing, but that's between FFG and LFL. Those ships are beautifully unique while still maintaining an obvious Imperial aesthetic trend. And they look like the perfect size.

Heck, I wouldn't mind owning a mini of the Ghost, either.

They could make the Modified Corellian Corvette, the Empire seemed to prefer it in the X-Wing series of PC games. Or repaint a standard Corellian Corvette, either of them with a TIE rack on the bottom. Imperial corvettes could carry 4 TIE Fighters on an external rack along the bottom of the ship. Pretty much the same as Carrick Cruisers had.

I still don't understand the selection of the Star Galleon. Isn't it just a troop transport? I guess it could counter the tuna boat...

My thoughts on countering the CR90 could be the CR90a (Assasin-class, unlikely given smilarities), the Lancer, or the Carrack. Carracks were the counterparts to Rebel corvettes in the game Rebellion and Lancers are perfect anti-fighter ships that are small enough to be on the table.

Nebulon-B and Nebulon-B2s are just too big. Anything larger is impractical, and taking this "relative scaling" too far imo.

i like the look of the rebel transport more than the tantive IV but the star galleon on the other hand i dont really like its look. i think the ships look and detail will be just as important as the scale. a scale size turd is still a turd.

They could make the Modified Corellian Corvette, the Empire seemed to prefer it in the X-Wing series of PC games. Or repaint a standard Corellian Corvette, either of them with a TIE rack on the bottom. Imperial corvettes could carry 4 TIE Fighters on an external rack along the bottom of the ship. Pretty much the same as Carrick Cruisers had.

I believe the Modified Corellian Corvette idea would be excellent  :D

Edited by Cohen

The Vigil class ship is a wonderful mini star destroyer looking ship that screams empire. But it's really stretching the limits of ship size being 40% longer than th CR-90. I hope FFG can find a way to pull this ship off without having to sacrifice scale ever more than it already has been for capital ships.

The Vigil class ship is a wonderful mini star destroyer looking ship that screams empire. But it's really stretching the limits of ship size being 40% longer than th CR-90. I hope FFG can find a way to pull this ship off without having to sacrifice scale ever more than it already has been for capital ships.

That's only by the Wookipedia's reckoning, I don't believe there are any official size on it. A few people have said they reacon it's around  190m, not the 250 they quote.

That's only by the Wookipedia's reckoning, I don't believe there are any official size on it. A few people have said they reacon it's around  190m, not the 250 they quote.

Yeah. Like I said earlier, the length quote came from the author's Tumblr or something like that, as an afterthought. It was never included in the official literature.

If FFG built this and called it ~190m, that'd be fine by me.

I was looking for imperial ships what about the bayonet light cruiser.  It looks like the vigil but is actually only 200m according to this site.  I was also looking at the acclamator but i think it may be to big at 700 meters.  Also according to this site the nebulon-b is only 300m long. with the corvette being 170 the nebulon-b may be doable but i wouldnt go bigger than 400m which is why i think the vigil or the bayonet would be a good choice.  I also found several sites that change the legnth of the dreadnaught.  I have found it as low as 550m to as high as 800m.  If FFG could edit the scale a  little 550 may be doable depending on how the rules are written.  Of course the dreadnaught doesnt have the width of other vessels so this helps it alot(would probably be as wide as the corvette just longer so models could move under it easilly) but who knows.  Here is the site i have found if anyone wants to look at the bayonet class.  This site also has the tartan at 250 so thats doable.  In the end i wouldnt want the modified corvette because it is so closely related to the blockade runner.  Imperials should get an imperial ship not a modified rebel one.

http://starwars-exodus.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Imperial_Ships

I believe the Modified Corellian Corvette idea would be excellent  :D

Though I'd support anything from the games getting more recognition I think the assasin is too close to the base CR-90 to really stand apart. I wouldn't like it for the same reasons I wouldn't like a YT-2400 so soon after the YT-1300.

As for the Vigil... Fractalsponge is the original artist, and you can see a gallery of the Vigil here. I think a good place to start reading up on his WIPs for this ship is here, on the StarDestroyer.net boards. Intended as a small self-sufficient patrol ship with a hangar for TIEs.

I still really like the look of the Vigil.  I think it is pushing the limits of what is practical, both in size and in weaponry.  The sheer number of turrets and the fact that it carries a squadron (or more?) of ties makes it a prospect for a fairly large fleet of rebel fighters.  I still want to be able to stage games that I can finish in one sitting, not those that take all week.  But man is this a cool looking ship, and trying to take one down would be lots of fun.  It also would lend itself well to use in "Edge of the Empire", as it could explain the presence of Ties wherever the adventure is taking place.

I'd really like to find out more about how FFG is handling Capital ship combat.  I have tried to piece together some things from the comments made from various source, but this is just flat out speculation.

Different damage decks for different parts of the ship.  Cool, that implies I'll be able to target different sections of the ship.  I'm hoping for target-able areas like weapon mounts, engines, bridges, shield generators.  Different damage decks for each of these type would allow criticals that would make sense for that particular kind of area.

Different firing arcs on the different stands of the ships?   Hmm...  Some pictures show one big card across both stands, so not so sure if we really are talking about multiple base cards or just one big one.  Still, either way having multiple weapons with multiple firing arcs noted on them is a necessity to provide a sense of realism in my book.  A big part of the strategy of taking out a capital ship would be to concentrate fire in vulnerable areas.  And will we see longer range weapons?

Movement that eliminates the fishtailing effect?  Well, something had to be done about movement, moving a whole ships length for even a one move just doesn't make sense.  But the best way I can think of to minimize fishtailing would be to do the move from the center of the ship.  That would be tricky with the current move templates.  I have no idea what we are in store for on this front.  New templates?  Or maybe just forward movement with a "barrel-roll" like action for the front stand to simulate turning via pivot.  Wow that could be some shallow turn radius's.  We're definitely going to need a bigger play area!  Especially if more than one capital ship is involved.

Anyways, until we know how individual weapons will be portrayed and how maneuverable these ships will be, it's really hard to guess on the max size of a ship would be feasible.  I was originally thinking in the 300m range, which would put the Nebulon-B at the top end of the scale, but that was really only based on the fact I wanted to be able to use that size ship and not the mechanics of the game.  Then, of course, there is the manufacturing and cost considerations.  Just because a 300m ship might work in the game doesn't mean it would be a success, especially if it came out to the tune of $500.  But if teh Tantive IV has a MSRP of $90, that is encouraging that we could still see some bigger ships.  Sure there would be a lot of moaning about it by some (especially about the upgrade cards!), but as long as the epic game is an alternative and not a replacement for the standard game, I look forward to more from FFG.  Please, just don't make a sliding scale between the capital ships!

I agree with RookiePilot.  They would need new rules for movement(or at least templates).  I think a Nebula-B would be amazing as well i hope they consider going to at least 350 or 400m in terms of length. It would open up alot of options. Your post was well written and i agree completely.

I really hope that the Imp capital ship isn't an Imperial class Star Destroyer.  Something tells me that it might be, however.  Think about it, FFG said that one of the primary goals of the capital ships is for cinematic play.  What other ship was in the scene with the Tantive IV?  A Star Destroyer.  What other ship was in the scene with the rebel transports?  A Star Destroyer.

I am perfectly fine with the altered scale of the corvette and transport.  Frankly I couldn't tell they were off scale until it was mentioned.  But a Star Destroyer would have to be ridiculously out of proportion to fit well on even a large gaming table.  A corvette isn't even a quarter the size of one.

But whatever it is, it's too late the gripe about it now because I'm sure the Imperial capital ship(s) is in the final stages of design if not already in production.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

LOL i was thinking the same thing when they released it ag GenCon.  At Hoth what do they have to get past, a star destroyer.  First Imperial ship seen, a star destroyer.  The only ship in the movies for Imperial, a star destroyer and a super star destroyer.  If it is a star destroyer i want 2 but it would be big and probably at least 250 dollars if not more.  I still want one though....

Who's to say that they actually need to release a small scale imperial capital ship in 3D form?

Couldn't they release a set of tiles to represent a Star Destroyer playboad with say 3D elements such as turbo lasers, raised bridge  or shield generators?

Cost wise that would probably fall into the same price bracket as a fully painted resin rebel ships and would require far less additions to the existing rules.

I for one would never collect cardboard anything...I have collected miniatures for the last century . Back in the day it was lead then pewter after which came resin ; and now recently 3d plastic....Cardboard takes away the Zeal for me...I just hope FFG does nott keep adjusting the scale...Once is enough for me....Never give up ,Never surrender

I wonder if FFG could make a go at something similar to WotC's failed attempt at Starship Battles.  All capital ships in a different scale not compatible with the current X-Wing, but similar movement system.

Could be played as a seperate game and/or linked with X-wing so the battles impacted one another somehow. 

Even at the revised scale we will not see the iconic capital ships in X-wing, but something like this could meet the need for the iconic ships. 

Capital ships could launch fighter squadrons to duel between the fleets (X-wing game) or take on capital ships directly and fighters could be smaller multi-unit models in the capital ship game instead of individual ships.  So many squads of fighters could equal x amount of point sto convert into and X-wing game if you wanted to play that way or they could interact in the large scale game as well.

Probably could make for some great campaigns.

Just a thought