Sign in to follow this  
cogollo

Brawl and Assist action (spoilers inside for Long Arm of the Hutt)

Well, today we had our third Edge of the Empire session and we are having a great time so far... We are all enjoying the game immensely! I have a couple questions.

During the first scene in "Long Arm of the Hutt", the Wookie player got really mad when the group found the Wookie pelts. In Escape from Mos Shuuta, the group had taken Trex prisoner and Oskara had binded him.

Lowhhrick went on a rampage and started hitting Trex with his fists while Sasha and 41-Vex tried to pin the Wookie to the ground, so the obvious choice here was to do an Opposed Brawl between Lowhrrick (4 Brawn 1 Rank) and Sasha+41-Vex (both 2 Brawn).

From what I remembered from the Assist action when I read the Core Rulebook, assisting gives a bonus to the main actor... Still, just adding one Boost die to the roll when two characters are cooperating seemed very underwhelming in a physical encounter like this... It's true that for a more "cerebral" action, one Boost die seems good enough, but two characters joining forces to pin down another (in our view) should have better chances.

We have thought a cool house rule for this would be to add as many Boost dice as Green dice from the helping character and to upgrade the check as many times as Yellow dice used by the assisting character...

What do you think? Anybody there having run into a similar situation?

By the way, the encounter was very funny. They finally managed to restrain the Wookie but not before he had hit the Slaver 3 times, one of them a very solid hit! In the meantime, Oskara's character was trying to calm the Wookie down with no success... And all of this with the noise and nasty smell from the Wookie pelts!

Edited by cogollo

I'd just follow the RAW. Two untrained individuals of average strength are going to have a very hard time taking down a powerful and trained wookiee in hand to hand without using a blaster on stun. The Boost die is really all they should get.

I'd just follow the RAW. Two untrained individuals of average strength are going to have a very hard time taking down a powerful and trained wookiee in hand to hand without using a blaster on stun. The Boost die is really all they should get.

Well, thanks for your comment and I agree with your point here but that's not what I was aiming for... The roll must be very difficult, but what I meant was that the Assist action in this case seems pointless.

Just think of two untrained individuals of average strength taking down another untrained individual of average strength... That's two Green dice and one Boost against two Purple dice, so the Assist action there is a bit useless, and having to make two rolls for each of the tackling guys slows the game down...

I have a feeling that in physical actions just one Boost die seems too little, so I'm asking whether someone has tried something different.

I'd personally say use what makes sense.  If all characters were of equal strength, then sure, doubling up makes sense.  However, if you're talking about 2 characters trying to restrain someone of a strength magnitudes higher than either of them then I'd call it much harder and add more difficulty dice.  Perhaps through a setback die or two at them for the attempt.

if either of them are trained in brawl, you can combine their skill and characteristics.  For example:

Use the Brawn characteristic from PC 1 and Brawl skill from PC 2, or use Brawn characteristic from PC 2 and Brawl skill from PC 1, and build the dice pool that way.

I think the rules allow for this.

..snip...  having to make two rolls for each of the tackling guys slows the game down...

I have a feeling that in physical actions just one Boost die seems too little, so I'm asking whether someone has tried something different.

You wouldn't roll twice, because they're using assistance.  If they are both untrained trying to bring down a Wookie...yikes.  Still it's better than either of them trying on their own.  After all, just look what happened when Chewie broke loose in the Death Star (dudes be flyin' through the air).

As far as other things to try:

• Destiny Point flip to upgrade their pool. 
  • Or roleplay it out. 
  • Or ... as C-3PO suggested, let the wookie win.
  • Or let the other characters use another skill besides Brawl to oppose the wook.  Maybe Athletics or Coordination or hell even Medicine if someone has a med-kit...pump that crazy upright bear-dog-man full of tranq's.

But in general, yeah taking on trained people with other untrained people should be a poorly stacked deal. 

Edited by Callidon

..snip...  having to make two rolls for each of the tackling guys slows the game down...

You wouldn't roll twice, because they're using assistance.  If they are both untrained trying to bring down a Wookie...yikes.  Still it's better than either of them trying on their own.  After all, just look what happened when Chewie broke loose in the Death Star (dudes be flyin' through the air).

As far as other things to try:

• Destiny Point flip to upgrade their pool. 
  • Or roleplay it out. 
  • Or ... as C-3PO suggested, let the wookie win.
  • Or let the other characters use another skill besides Brawl to oppose the wook.  Maybe Athletics or Coordination or hell even Medicine if someone has a med-kit...pump that crazy upright bear-dog-man full of tranq's.

But in general, yeah taking on trained people with other untrained people should be a poorly stacked deal. 

I like the tranquilizer idea a lot... Pity they did not think about it...

About brawling the Wookie, I agree it should be darn difficult/almost impossible for them. They actually did not get a single success in 3 tries but manage to roll a Triumph in one check, so I decided to give a big bonus for the next Wookie's check to cool down, so at the end he did relax by himself.

What still worries me is having a similar situation where all involved have a similar skill+brawn... I mean, two Wookies pinning one Wookie should have more chances than just an extra Boost die... I'll try using for these cases the house rules I propose and see whether it makes sense with the results.

Thanks all for your ideas here!

I'm agreeing with HappyDaze that RAW should work.  I could be misreading it, but I think you only gave the restrainers half their chances to restrain.  Plus, "Assist" is a maneuver, not an action.  So both Sasha and Vex would each get their own dice rolls, and each would be assisting the other (boosting), and any advantages they generate could be used to boost that even further.  So if the Wookiee got 3 shots, they should have had 6 dice rolls between them.

And a Wookiee should be hard to take down, if you house rule it too easy now, it will probably haunt you later :)

Plus, "Assist" is a maneuver, not an action. 

And a Wookiee should be hard to take down, if you house rule it too easy now, it will probably haunt you later :)

Good points there. I checked the Core rulebook back at home and found out that Assist is indeed a maneuver, so now the RAW makes a lot more sense... I guess I'll talk with my players and see how to proceed, but if it's just a maneuver a Boost die seems good enough.

And yes, taking down the Wookiee proved impossible for them, which seemed right. I was hoping all the time that any of them would roll a Despair so that the Wookie would hit one of them, but they were lucky there... :angry:

And by the way, this is a thing I love about this system: almost every single roll matters with the possibilty of rolling a Triumph or Despair. It reminds me of Warhammer Fantasy 3 and its Chaos Stars and Sigmar's Comets, but they seem to have optimized the probabilities of these events happening.