Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sorednax

Fight vs Combat, please clarify

7 posts in this topic

The rules for combat state you use your fight skills, plus any item cards (like guns/whips/etc) that give you modifiers to your combat.

But in the final bttle, it seems the write up on the ancient ones specify "your FIGHT skill" and not necessarily your combat, ergo, do you get your modifiers from items, spells, etc?  Or is is just your stright fight skill?

When "in Combat" against a Monster, you use the Investigator's Fight Skill along with anything (ally, weapon, spell, etc.) that adds a bonus for either Fight (Tom "Mountain" Man' Murphy's +2 Fight) or Combat (.45 Pistol's +4 to combat).

However, if an encounter requires a Fight check, only the Fight check and anything that provides a bonus solely to Fight (i.e. Sledgehammer's +1 Fight and not the Combat bonus) may be used

So, I think it was clarified for me like this...

When Combat is specified = Fight + Weapons

When Fight is specified = Just Fight Skill

But in the final bttle, it seems the write up on the ancient ones specify "your FIGHT skill" and not necessarily your combat, ergo, do you get your modifiers from items, spells, etc?  Or is is just your stright fight skill?

In final battle you do get to add any applicable combat bonuses from items.

In final battle you do get to add any applicable combat bonuses from items.

And that's the reason why we read "magical immunity" / "physicaly resistance" and so on on the AOs sheets... otherwise, if only Fight counted, we couldn't care the less about immunities or resistances...

So, I think it was clarified for me like this...

When Combat is specified = Fight + Weapons

When Fight is specified = Just Fight Skill

If by this you mean the same thing Professor said, then ok.  Otherwise, I think you might be slightly off course.

There are two type of bonuses, Combat bonuses and Fight bonuses.  All Fight bonuses are also Combat bonuses, but Combat bonuses are not Fight bonuses.

Therefore, in Combat, you gain all + Combat and all + Fight modifiers.  If you're maing a Fight skill check outside of combat, you only get + Fight modifiers.  This is not quite the same as saying "Combat = Fight + Weapons" because it is possible that some weapons may provide a + Fight bonus, which would apply to Fight checks equally well.

Combat = Fight Skill + Fight Modifers + Combat Modifiers

Fight Check = Fight Skill + Fight Modifiers