Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kelst Lasel

Fuel Costs and Hyperspace travel

18 posts in this topic

Just wondering how people handle this in their campaigns. The book suggests making the group spend credits on maintenance and such, right now we are putting credits into it, but nothing major and nothing strictly monitored, and it is allowing us to kind of zip around the galaxy.

Has anyone created any hard and fast rules for fuel costs for regular travel and hyperspace travel? Hyperspace travel times?

Docking fees are between 50 and 200 credits per day, depending on the size of the starport and quality of the services. Also, a maintenance bay (for making repairs) is more expensive than a regular docking bay.

For fuel, oxygen, water and other consumables I use a simple formula: Days spent in space times the number of crew + passengers aboard ship times 10 credits.

Thanks for the navcomp link. That's fun. The hyper speed is "backwards" to the EotE system, ie: the higher the speed on the site the faster the ship - it is using WEG's or Saga edition's speed.

What's the slowest hyperspace engine in EotE, because then that would be "1" for the site and from there we could work backwards.

Thanks for the navcomp link. That's fun. The hyper speed is "backwards" to the EotE system, ie: the higher the speed on the site the faster the ship - it is using WEG's or Saga edition's speed.

What's the slowest hyperspace engine in EotE, because then that would be "1" for the site and from there we could work backwards.

It is not using WEG's if higher equals faster. WEG's was lower is faster because it was a multiplier to the time. Typical multipliers were 2-4 for primary hyperdrives and 12+ for backups with military hyperdrives being 1 or less.

Both WEG and Saga used the same hyperspace multiplier system as EotE. The slowest hyperdrives are backups, some of which are in the x16 or higher levels.

That guide is amazing, thank you.

Do you charge for fuel or just parking?

About every 4 or 5 jumps I tell them they should probably refuel. I only have two costs for it, either a full tank for 1,000 or 500 for half

Oh, and don't forget basic maintenance. I seem to recall in Galaxy Guide 6 that every 20 or so jumps the hyperdrives need to be tuned up and calibrated. The more jumps past that, the more fuel it'll drink down, the slower the engines get and how the system gets more and more twitchy.

I am preparing a campaign, and am seriously considering having the PCs pay a percentage of their earnings (10-20%) towards regular starship-related costs, just to cut down on the banal haggling over docking fees, fuel cost etc. Repairs after taking major damage, upgrades etc. would be in addition to that. I've run a Star Wars game in another system where I was strict about that sort of thing, and it gets really boring really fast. Anyone have any experience winging the expenses like that?

A starship has one fuel cell for every day of consumables it carries. Thus, a starship with one week of consumables (5 Galactic standard days) would have 5 fuel cells, a starship with one month of consumables (35 Galactic standard days) would have 35 fuel cells, and a starship with one year of consumables (368 Galactic standard days) would have 368 fuel cells.

A single fuel cell will provide power for any of the following:

• one hour of combat, or atmospheric flight
  • six hours of hyperspace travel
  • one week (five days) of sublight travel
  • one month (35 days) while stationary or in orbit

The YT-1300 Light Freighter carries 2 months consumables, therefore 70 fuel cells

Recharging at a spaceport costs 50 credits per fuel cell.

Example: A jump which would take 4 days in hyperspace to arrive, would drain 16 fuel cells from the 70 total.

With my group I have found that they now deal in buying trade items for sale off-world, which helps cover refueling costs either that or take on passangers, which opens up a whole new can of worms, and troubles. 

I'm trying this system:

to cross a sector it takes a Class 1 Hyperdrive ship 10 hours (the minimum according to table 7-14 on page 247 of the Core Rules).

So, a YT-1300 (class 2 Hyperdrive) flying from Tattooine to Alderaan would be 160 hours (6.6 days).  Now the Millennium Falcon was surely (considering Han's claims of how fast she was) using a class 1 Hyperdrive so that reduces the time to 3.3 days.  Now I know that's way longer than it appeared in A New Hope, but that movie was made with no consideration for the kind of calculations we're trying to do here.  So I'm going with it.... Besides, maybe travelling along a major spacelane such as  the Corellian run (as Han, Luke, Leia and the gang likely did) might have cut back on time.  If a really successful skill check was made by Chewie or whoever laid in the course then that would reduce travel time as well eh?

Edit:
I've since decided to go with 17 hours per sector for Class 1 Hyperdrive (the average according to chart 7-14).  This is modified by Hyperdrive class as per the rules and also by successes, failures, advantages, threats, triumphs and despairs rolled on the Astrogation check made before the jump.

Spend:

Successes - to cut off 10% of travel time.

Failures - to add 10% to travel time.

Advantages - to cut off 5% of travel time.

Threats - to add 5% to travel time

Triumphs - to cut time in half

Despair - something bad like getting lost or Hyperdrive breaking mid journey.

Edited by dancingplanet
bradknowles likes this

I always used the 1% rule for maintenance cost (1% of the cost of the ship) and then based on the number of jumps + distance that was the number of 'gallons' your ship consumed and a gallon is about 50 credits.  So for example from Coruscant to Bespin would be 4 jumps two on major an two on minor and going out from Core to outer rim which is 10 jumps so 500 credits.  Now why is it a Firspray-31 would be the same expense as a Y-wing fighter?  Well the Firespray is bigger and it is easier to crawl around and maintenance things then it is on a Y-wing fighter.  Why is it more expensive for a Y-wing maintenance then a cloakshape fighter?  No hyperdrive on it.  Mind you this is just maintenance cost of the ship and fuel expenditure the foodstuffs, entertainment, and other equipment (like bacta) is up to the crew. I don't know how many 'gallons' per ship you would be comfortable with but I would say that a fighter could do 10 jumps, a freighter 20, a transport 30, and a capital ship 40.  Kind of hard to tell as you don't see them pull over often for gas lol.

bradknowles likes this

I agree with BradKnowles... some great work here! I've always liked to factor in the costs of players running their ship, makes it a bit more real for me... I run a sandbox type of game & it therefore also keeps the players constantly on the look out for ways to earn credits

Aerilyn84 likes this