Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jabberwoky

Karrikian Lock-Arm Question

10 posts in this topic

Pg. 77, Book of Judgement

Karrikian Lock-Arm

A character with a Karrikian Lock-Arm is treated as having Unnatural Strength (x3) for the purposes of grappling or restraining a target. In addition, the user gains a +20 bonus to Strength when making melee attacks using the arm.

----------------

If I have a Karrikian Lock-Arm on my dominant hand, do I gain a +20 to my strength when wielding a one-handed weapon in that hand? 

Or does the +20 to my strength only count when making a melee attack when grappling an opponent?

Since it simply says "melee attacks", I see no reason why you shouldn't apply the bonus to a weapon attack as long as it's made with that hand.

I'm not saying that it's not "overpowered", I'm just interpreting the way it's written, and the way it's written, it'd result in +40 Strength while wielding two-handed weapons (or even when wielding a 1h weapon with both hands, I guess).

I believe the person would only gain a +20 to their strength.  Unlike in D&D, wielding a one-handed weapon in two hands doesn't incease the damage output.  Having two lock-arms would simply qualify you for the bonus for a two-handed weapon.

But then another question comes up, how does one acquire these lovely bionics?  The Book of Judgement lists their effectiveness, but does not list their availability or cost.

Edited by jabberwoky

I believe the person would only gain a +20 to their strength.  Unlike in D&D, wielding a one-handed weapon in two hands doesn't incease the damage output.  Having two lock-arms would simply qualify you for the bonus for a two-handed weapon.

I'm not considering whether it's overpowered or not, I'm just reading the rules as written, and the way it's written, there's nothing preventing you from using two arms for a 1-handed weapon (usually), no matter whether it applies any other bonuses or not (..and it actually should, but yeah, it doesn't).

But then another question comes up, how does one acquire these lovely bionics?  The Book of Judgement lists their effectiveness, but does not list their availability or cost.

No-one knows. There's no table for the bionics in Book of Judgement, and Fantasy Flight Games are notoriously terrible when it comes to Errata, for some reason. The last Dark Heresy Errata is from 2009(!).

Now that they've started dropping the 1st Edition WH40kRP line, it's unlikely you'll ever see any updates of it again, unfortunately.