Sign in to follow this  
Keeop

Specialization Cards

I know the Anti-Card brigade won't like these but hey, they're POD. No like no buy. The custom talent tree pdf's that are floating around certainly get the job done as well. Smart marketing option as opposed to getting everyone hurt by putting them in a Core product. The only weird thing here is that if multiple players end up in the same spec tree it could push towards duplicate decks. I guess we'll see what the price point is. My Warhammer players would love these in their Edge game, regardless.

Edited by Keeop

I know the Anti-Card brigade won't like these but hey, they're POD. No like no buy. The custom talent tree pdf's that are floating around certainly get the job done as well. Smart marketing option as opposed to getting everyone hurt by putting them in a Core product. The only weird thing here is that if multiple players end up in the same spec tree it could push towards duplicate decks. I guess we'll see what the price point is. My Warhammer players would love these in their Edge game, regardless.

$6.95 per tree deck.

I'm in as soon as all the ones I need are listed.

Pretty cool. I'm glad they exist. That said, I'm not likely to buy any. We'll see what happens though. Maybe my players will be in love with them.

I am for anything that helps a player keep track of things.

That said, I do not see myself purchasing them.  

$7 for a single tree seems expensive.  Especially for a PnP product.  I could understand $7 per CAREER but not per tree.

I won't be getting them because I prefer to have everything the same size (A4 paper) in my portfolio.  I can see how some of my players might like to have them.  I do like how they are committing resources to something like this.  Just not something I need personally.

Edited by kelann08

$6.95 per tree?  Ugh.  I really thought they'd be able to sucker me into anything related to this system, but not this.

It's going to cost upwards of $600 to cover all the specs.

3 core books.

6 classes per core.

5 specs per class (3 base plus 2 from splat books).

That's 90 decks lol.  Thats not even counting the force based stuff that could have it's own decks.

Maybe $10/class I could deal with, but dang....

Buying a couple seems odd.  I'll just get the 3 specs my party are playing now.  And then someone buys a new spec, well, need another deck.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have them, but it seems almost like an all or nothing type of deal, and you'll likely be able to buy every supplement book for less than half of what it will cost to get all the spec decks.

I can't even see the benefit of these over a printable spec sheet.  A typical table is going to have multiple character sheets, note sheets, adventure material (maps, drawings, tokens, etc), dice, GM screen.  Now you include a bunch of loose cards to float around.  "I was going to do precise aim, but I can't find that card...dangit!"

Edited by kmanweiss

I agree that these are akin to flash cards with no other real game purpose for being in card format. In that respect, I leave it up to my players if they choose to purchase the decks of their choice (when all are released.) I will probably purchase one or two, A) just to introduce the option to my players and B) to support the company that makes this game I enjoy.

I'm all for them producing more material to help players.

I won't be buying them (especially after the work I put into my own trees), but more power to FFG.

As a side-note, since it's been confirmed that as of AoR some specializations exist in multiple careers, I wonder if they are holding off on some of the sets because they will cross over with AoR.

Considering all the vitrol WFRP3 got I can't wait to see the response on this. It's funny really. Almost as funny as the poster considering this to be a 600 USD all or nothing deal...

Edited by bladerunner_35

I'm extremely excited about this product.

It's not easy for every player to keep track of which Talents they have and exactly how they work. It's very intuitive to hold a deck of cards and see at a glance what you can do, and how to do it.

A few thoughts:

1. These could be useful if you are only a player and just have your sheet and a notebook. Or if you are a GM who wants to lay everything out in front of you.

2. Not sure they really are THAT useful though considering you can just photocopy the pages of the trees from the book. The pages even have permission on the bottom in small type.

3. GLAD these are POD....that way you can pick up just the ones you need and ignore the rest. With the nasty response to the "boardgame-esque" components of WHFRP3E, I am shocked they went this way. Again, as a POD option, it is nice, if we were forced to purchase them with packaged with some other product, I think that would suck.

4. I have to give FFG some thumbs up for great and varied support of these lines already though. Good JOB! Keep up the good work.

$6.95 per tree?  Ugh.  I really thought they'd be able to sucker me into anything related to this system, but not this.

It's going to cost upwards of $600 to cover all the specs.

3 core books.

6 classes per core.

5 specs per class (3 base plus 2 from splat books).

That's 90 decks lol.  Thats not even counting the force based stuff that could have it's own decks.

Maybe $10/class I could deal with, but dang....

Buying a couple seems odd.  I'll just get the 3 specs my party are playing now.  And then someone buys a new spec, well, need another deck.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have them, but it seems almost like an all or nothing type of deal, and you'll likely be able to buy every supplement book for less than half of what it will cost to get all the spec decks.

I can't even see the benefit of these over a printable spec sheet.  A typical table is going to have multiple character sheets, note sheets, adventure material (maps, drawings, tokens, etc), dice, GM screen.  Now you include a bunch of loose cards to float around.  "I was going to do precise aim, but I can't find that card...dangit!"

I'm sure the logical, cost-effective thing to do would be to buy the decks you need. Many players will only have one specialization for their character. Even with two, that's about $14.

As a GM you may be tempted to get them all, but then it's on you if you're willing to pay that much.

A better idea, similarly, if you want to buy these and provide them for your players, is to determine which ones your players need, and then buy just those. So if you have four players and they each have 1 spec, that's about $28.

But really, I'm sure the intention here is for players to buy their own decks, and obviously not all of them. These are reference cards, not an indispensable expansion.

I know that there is a sheet of blank talent cards (similar to those of DnD4e) out there and I intend to add forms to it and type out the talents I so it is in card format but all on one page. That or I will re-find the progam that lets make custom DnD4e cards.

Considering all the vitrol WFRP3 got I can't wait to see the response on this. It's funny really. Almost as funny as the poster considering this to be a 600 USD all or nothing deal...

Yeah, over on the WFRP boards there is a gang of hard stance anti-component players crying about cards to this day. I can only imagine this will fuel their hate...which will lead to anger, suffering...all that. :) They're violently opposed to components, yet here...at a company known for components. It's a fascinating conundrum.

I think ultimately the loud backlash to WFRP3e certainly shook the roof, but I can't help but feel that the numbers driving these product and marketing decisions indicate that the loud, obnoxious vocal minority were just that. If it wasn't a profitable method it wouldn't be repeated. As an upgrade from the all inclusive Warhammer Core, I think offering the cards separately really places the decision firmly in the hands of the customer. If you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. Easy stuff. I always applaud FFG for at least pushing boundaries and trying new things, even if it comes under a little fire. At least someone's doing it.

Edited by Keeop

I don't think these Talent cards are really that useful plus they have that D&D 4th Ed video-gamey powers kinda feel. I could see getting wound/injury cards. I did like those in WHFRP.

My concern is that making these could be a consumer overload kind of thing, where you have FFG spending risk and resources trying to sell to people who've already spent a fair sum on books and dice but may not feel it's worth the extra cash to buy only at best, marginally useful extras. I'd rather see them put their resources into more useful game aids like map packs, adventures, and *cough* the legal fees to get permission to sell PDFs...

Edited by FuriousGreg

I'm personally not that interested. It just seems like having the information on several cards doesn't really organize anything over a list.

Its not like 4e D&D where the powers were selectable options, a lot of talents are just passive boosts, better to just include those into the stats on your sheet.

Basically: selectable combat options I can see being cards, passive abilities and boosts to existing options/stats should just be on the character sheet. You don't need a separate card somewhere that tells you to ignore a setback dice on pilot checks that can be lost in the shuffle of your things, you need that information right there on your sheet.