Sign in to follow this  
FFG Ross Watson

New Dark Heresy Designer Diary: Edge of Darkness has a new look!

This thread has made my day. I've sung the praises of Edge of Darkness many, many times and seeing it revitalised and brought to the community's attention again fills me with glee. Skimming through I believe I see some new art pieces. I'll read it thoroughly after this, but can you tell me if anything has been changed?

Excellent stuff. Edge of Darkness was always a favourite of mine, and it's nice to see it all tarted up, although the players won't get to see it. lengua.gif

One thing I noticed was the back cover: 'Sinister Intrigue among the decadent nobility of the Imperium!' - Did the Tattered Fates tagline get put in by mistake?

Very cool to see this given a visual update.  I've only had a chance to run one session of DH (and sadly it was almost a year ago now), but this was the adventure I chose.  It's very good and well worth a look for anyone who likes or wants to play Dark Heresy.

Ursca said:

Excellent stuff. Edge of Darkness was always a favourite of mine, and it's nice to see it all tarted up, although the players won't get to see it. lengua.gif

One thing I noticed was the back cover: 'Sinister Intrigue among the decadent nobility of the Imperium!' - Did the Tattered Fates tagline get put in by mistake?

Nice catch! That has been corrected, and the servitor responsible has been duly re-lobotomized. gui%C3%B1o.gif

FFG Ross Watson said:

Ursca said:

Nice catch! That has been corrected, and the servitor responsible has been duly re-lobotomized. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Well, I certainly can't fault you for speed!

First of all, I am glad to see this wonderfull adventure get a new release with a fine artwork and layout.

But there is one thing missing, a thing I am grieving and yearning for:

There is still no official map for the alms house. Why the descriptions are quiet good and there are a lot of fan maps around, I would still be interested in a official map. Especially since I never quiet puzzled out

SPOILER WARNING!!!

...where this one left shaft was coming from and why it is supposed to be an escape root. The the lift shaft mentioned early wasn´t empty but equipped with a functional lift, wasn´t it?

FFG Ross Watson said:

So that's what FFG calls interns now, servitors?  lengua.gif

Joking aside, excellent work Trent a job well done.  I hope they're paying you in more then corpse starch and the occasional lobotomy

Wow, wonderful Ross, Edge of Darkness is in my opinion the best official DH adventure published so far, it realy deserved such awesome look (I especialy appreciate pictures, which seem to be a new artwork (pg. 5, 11, 12, 14, 21, 22, 26 and realy sweet one on pg. 37) altough old or coloured ones (pg. 3, 19) are also great) :)

Peacekeeper_b said:

Its me, back again.

Any chance of getting a full color version of the Vehicle Apocrypha as well?

Man I ask for way too much!

Seconded! Motion carried.

Looks like you guys have no choice now. :)

Beautiful!  I still think this is probably the best adventure released for the game so far.  Nice to have it in a deluxe format for presentability.  Now, if only someone would chain Alan Bligh to an autoquill long enought for some sequels...

From p. 16. "a monthly wage for a common hablabourer (if they are lucky enough to draw the work shifts with Tantalus)is about 2530 Thrones"

Is that correct??! That's quite a lot of money those hablabourers make. Isn't that the cost of some of the more expensive weapons!?

Also, p. 17, paragraph right after the Oppossed Tests box: "husband" is spelled "sband". lengua.gif

Lexicanum said:

From p. 16. "a monthly wage for a common hablabourer (if they are lucky enough to draw the work shifts with Tantalus)is about 2530 Thrones"

Is that correct??! That's quite a lot of money those hablabourers make. Isn't that the cost of some of the more expensive weapons!?

I think that should be "25-30 Thrones" - the hyphen appears to have been omitted...

Trevor Stamper said:

I love the look of Edge...any chance we will see the three winning contestants get nice overhauls like Edge did?

I hope. But I think Trent may have alife outside of FFG offices. Ross, you must crush his spirit and force him to labour so we can have nice PDFS, for free!

I'm currently running Edge of Darkness for a new group of players. As I was going through my notes again (I've already run it once for my old game group) I was struck by what a great adventure it is. I've seen some discussion in one thread or another debating which is better EoD or Illumination from the Core book. And while Illumination is an interesting scenario, I think the thing that make EoD stand out (and makes it a better intro adventure) is the fact that it could really take place in any time period. It's a nice solid investigation adventure, and with some tweaks it could be played as a Kult or (shudder) World of Darkness game in a modern day horror setting. It seems that Illumination requires some understanding of the Imperial Creed and their reliance on Saints that a newbie player may not pick up on.