Sign in to follow this  
schoon

Obligation, Duty, and...

Now that the first teaser for Age of Rebellion is out, we know that the Obligation-like mechanic for that game will be Duty.

Care to hazard a guess as to the mechanic name for the third game?

Yeah, the Jedi follow a strict code. Something that ties them down and even dehumanizes them in a way. Hence, code.

Pledge would work as well

Aaah.  I think someone else mentioned Oath.  Same sort of concept then.

It'll be Destiny.  I'd pierce my nipples if it isn't.

*hopes no one throws this in my face when it ends up being Thetans for real*

In the OT every light and dark side force user makes mention of Destiny in relation to the force at some point.

• Obi-Wan: Your Destiny lies down a different path | You cannot escape your Destiny
  • Palpatine: It is unavoidable, it is your Destiny
  • Darth Vader:  You can destroy him.  It is your Destiny | If that is your Destiny;
  • Yoda:  If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your Destiny
Edited by Callidon

It'll be Destiny.  I'd pierce my nipples if it isn't.

*hopes no one throws this in my face when it ends up being Thetans for real*

In the OT every light and dark side force user makes mention of Destiny in relation to the force at some point.

• Obi-Wan: Your Destiny lies down a different path | You cannot escape your Destiny
  • Palpatine: It is unavoidable, it is your Destiny
  • Darth Vader:  You can destroy him.  It is your Destiny | If that is your Destiny;
  • Yoda:  If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your Destiny

Hopefully you can use credits to pay down your destiny like you can with obligation :-)

Code

Code?

"Never broke into a car. Never hot-wired a car, kid. I never broke into a trunk. I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof. Nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. That's what I call the repo code, kid. Don't forget it -- etch it in your brain.

Not many people got a code to live by anymore."

Kaiser Soze.

But seriously... Balance is not a bad guess. Possibly something representing staying on the path of light and resisting the dark side.

Although, do non-Force users really care about that?

Nope.  It all depends on where they put the balance for that game.  More force info may send it there, but I think Destiny is a more likely prospect.

That, and I hope somebody gets a piercing.   ;)

I'm thinking they might tie it in with the whole dark side/light side balance thing, and call it Serenity.

Think about it, especially since Duty in AoR is something the players want to increase so as to provide a benefit to themselves, so too would Serenity.  Obi-Wan would generally have a high Serenity, while Yoda's would be freakin' huge.  But with reduced Serenity, it becomes more difficulty to use the Force properly without resorting to the dark side.

Just a thought...

I dunno about the mechanic being something as a Light Side vs. Dark Side element.

Obligation has a whole slew of different forms it can take.  Duty sounds like it will be the same.  Simply making it a "Balance" or "Light vs. Dark" thing makes it just a binary score, with only one real option, and that seems pretty boring from a game design perspective.

Also, just because the book is called Force and Destiny, I don't think the game is going to be all about "everybody is a Jedi or Force-user all the time always." Having the core 'hook' mechanic being about the different sides of the Force doesn't feel like it'd fit well in a game that needs to support multiple character types.

Destiny seems right.

How about this as a summation. 

Obligations: Debts as payment for upfront benefits (XP and credits)

Duty: What people expect of you, and if you succeed at it you will be rewarded with temporary and limited power in the form of equipment and possible command of others.

Destiny: What the universe expects of you and if you succeed you will be rewarded with power, if you go against it, you will lose power.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Edited by JesterOC

Given what I've seen thus far, my money would be on Destiny (or a synonym)

...anyone can have one

...it works for both the force sensitive and not

...it's similarly tied into the narrative/storytelling aspect of the games

i would say, that keeping with the theme of AoR and using Duty as their choice, FaD may either use Oaths or Repsonsiblity as their goto tracker stat. I'm more inclined to say Oath because under its subtext jedi code is the example.

AoR duty is compatable with EotE because Duy is an obligation, so how many and how much one obtains Duty in AoR it could translate over as a character having alot of Obligation under Duty.

FaD will follow suit, because FFG has stated that all the games can intermingle and thus characters can transfer between the core books, a jedi who Joins the military suddenly finds himself with Duty to share in his oaths, while if he ever gets tired of both and enters the edge of the empire he suddenly just finds himself bogged with obligates all over, from a clinging oath of the jedi order, a sense of duty to the republic, or even outrunning the memory of his betrayal from his student turned dark lord, or his bounty from the empire. Best become a force exile on a desert planet.

Destiny seems to be the most obvious.  With obligation (or Duty, I'm assuming), you can choose to go with it or against it.

Same with Destiny.  As a force user, you're driven to do a certain thing.  you can fight against it, or accept it.