Sign in to follow this  
sgtderrick

Meters to squares conversion.

Hello all, I am going to be running an only war vanilla campaign pretty soon. Having recently bought the core book my question is how many meters are in a standard generic game board square? The reason I ask is because a 1:1 ratio would allow a combat shotgun to shoot across my board.

Anyways, I am wondering if there is a better ratio to use or should I just get/make a larger game board?

i use 1:10 but mostly because my squad has a chimera
if the are just on foot, especially in an urban environment, i use 1:1 since fighting room to room rarly need more than a few meters and it allows for better oversight of the scene

we usually use 1 fullmove for 1 sqaure in 1:10 since most of my players have 6-8m fullmove, same goes for enemies tough so its fair, alternativly you can place the models on the border between squares and the middle of the sqare to get ~5m distances in case thats better suited for your needs

I use miniatures for most of my WH40KRP combats. For 'indoor' combat (or similar environments where conditions are cramped), I usually use a wet-erase board with a grid of 1" squares, and stick with 1"=1 meter; ranges aren't much of an issue if you can't see around a corner... Outdoors, I usually use a standard wargame tabletop with 3D terrain, measuring distances with tapemeasures, and go with .5"=1 meter for 'skirmishes', or 1 cm=1 meter for larger battles (using small half-round beads instead of figs for characters and cardboard rectangles for vehicles in that case).

Hello all, I am going to be running an only war vanilla campaign pretty soon. Having recently bought the core book my question is how many meters are in a standard generic game board square? The reason I ask is because a 1:1 ratio would allow a combat shotgun to shoot across my board.

Anyways, I am wondering if there is a better ratio to use or should I just get/make a larger game board?

I use 1 meter = 1 Centimeter on the ruler and either doubled or triped the ranges (can't remember, but one worked perfectly)

I can't remember exactly what the problem was (we've only played one game so far) but I think I just doubled or tripled the ranges for everything and it worked out fine.  Even so, the player with the Melta had to get reeaalllly close to use it.

I mean, you don't want ranges as short as 40k (pistols shoot 12") but you don't want every gun to be in-range all the time either.