Sign in to follow this  
fjw70

Age of Rebellion Beta a go!

It seems whoever called the new Duty mechanic in that other thread got it right. :)

That was me (and I want my cookie)!  :D

Fresh out of cookies. How does the satisfaction of having proven your clearly superior foresight sound?

It seems whoever called the new Duty mechanic in that other thread got it right. :)

Fresh out of cookies. How does the satisfaction of having proven your clearly superior foresight sound?

Sounds like I might be being made fun of, to be honest!

But I have to say, I really like that they went that route. Han had an Obligation to the underworld, but also a Duty to the Rebellion, and he had to make a choice. That's some great roleplaying stuff, built right into the rules!

I guess we'll see in 2015 if a character's 'Oath' to the force will need to be weighed against those two...  :P

IJ Thompson nailed "Duty", but I still suspect there will be ranking, and other military elements to flesh it out. Obligation was often broken up into different obligations. Duty not so much. Your automatically obligated. Instead I suspect it will be broken ranks, favours, weight to pull resources. Instead of "Why your dutiful". I suspect Motivation will cover why one is Dutiful to the cause.

Since we seem to be skirting some of F&D. I'm leaning to no specific term, but along the lines of Oath and Code. A spiritual personal discipline that one walks to better one self. i suspect that will have influence not on Credits, but on Force Points and the Force die.

I have to admit the Beta is out awfully faster than suspected. I'll be passing on the Beta and just wait for it to come out. I'm looking for this new rpg.

I personally think that creating 3 different rule books was a good idea for SW. People can by a focused version of the game that they want. So maybe quick releases is a good idea.

The quick release and limited time for playtesting means I'll be buying it, but only as a resource for my EotE game. With my planned vacation, I'm only looking at getting in four or five sessions between now and the deadline. Since it won't be in my hands tomorrow, that drops that number by one.

Don't know if I am the first but I think the FoD mechanic will be called... "Destiny".  Obligation - Duty - Destiny.  Makes sense to me since everything in the OT is about Luke's destiny.

Yup.  Called that on my blog a while ago.  Maybe we're right!

"A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind."

Commitment would be my guess for Force and Destiny's mechanic.

Nice. Also echoed by Kenobi in Episode II: "You have made a commitment to the Jedi order, a commitment not easily broken."

Not sure it makes sense to call it Destiny, as there's already a destiny element in the game in the form of Destiny Points. I can foresee some confusion between Destiny and Destiny Points.

Edited by Ineti

But I have to say, I really like that they went that route. Han had an Obligation to the underworld, but also a Duty to the Rebellion, and he had to make a choice. That's some great roleplaying stuff, built right into the rules!

I guess we'll see in 2015 if a character's 'Oath' to the force will need to be weighed against those two...  :P

I don't think it'll be called Oath. Oath is currently a subset of Obligation. ;) 

And, whatever it's called, I can envision where a Force-sensitive character might have an Obligation, a Duty, and a Commitment (or whatever they call the F&D flavor of it). Talk about a lot of roleplaying and gaming potential. In a given adventure, a character could be pulled three different ways--what do they do? Not to mention the potential Obligation, Duty, or Commitment of their allies.

Sounds like I might be being made fun of, to be honest!

Not the intention, sorry. Unintended snark is making its way into a lot of my posts lately.

I agree. The things that draw and keep you in the underworld are not the same things that draw you into a group of idealistic freedom fighters.

"A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind."

Commitment would be my guess for Force and Destiny's mechanic.

Nice. Also echoed by Kenobi in Episode II: "You have made a commitment to the Jedi order, a commitment not easily broken."

Not sure it makes sense to call it Destiny, as there's already a destiny element in the game in the form of Destiny Points. I can foresee some confusion between Destiny and Destiny Points.

Good points.  Commitment makes sense.

Well, for starters we don't have to get up to speed on the actual game engine. Everyone should know it by then, so no learning curve.

That's not true. This is a separate-but-compatible game. There's no reason that everyone should already know it the game engine. The game engine surely isn't the focus of this Beta, but unless FFG is being disingenuous with its "separate game" talk, they must be expecting some considerable portion of the player base to learn the rules for the first time through this Beta release.

Well, for starters we don't have to get up to speed on the actual game engine. Everyone should know it by then, so no learning curve.

That's not true. This is a separate-but-compatible game. There's no reason that everyone should already know it the game engine. The game engine surely isn't the focus of this Beta, but unless FFG is being disingenuous with its "separate game" talk, they must be expecting some considerable portion of the player base to learn the rules for the first time through this Beta release.

The fact that most know the rules already will speed up the feedback process, whether it's literally "everyone" or not. Yes, people will jump on with AoR. These people, if buying the beta at all, will not likely have time to contribute a whole lot to the beta as well as learn the core mechanics at the same time. That doesn't stop the people who do know the mechanics from contributing more quickly.

The fact that most know the rules already will speed up the feedback process, whether it's literally "everyone" or not. Yes, people will jump on with AoR. These people, if buying the beta at all, will not likely have time to contribute a whole lot to the beta as well as learn the core mechanics at the same time. That doesn't stop the people who do know the mechanics from contributing more quickly.

And it's probably those people, the ones already familiar with and playing EotE, that FFG is likely expecting the bulk of the feedback from.

Commitment makes sense.

If complete new comers pick up this Beta and have trouble with the basic rules, that does allow a chance to add clarifications in the second book. Not changes to the rules but clarifications of how they work.

If they change core rules at this point I for one will be very displeased. And it should be noted "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."

If they change core rules at this point I for one will be very displeased. And it should be noted "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."

Completey agree. Errata and small tweaks are fine and encouraged. But if they go changing the system at this point it could be enough for me to throw up my hands and stop making any future purchases.

And it's probably those people, the ones already familiar with and playing EotE, that FFG is likely expecting the bulk of the feedback from.
Definitely. In any beta, there are people who are there just to check out what the product will look like on release, and there are people there to try and push the game and see what breaks. I feel like people jumping on with the AoR beta are almost entirely going to be from the first group. In this kind of test, much more so than in EotE beta, the feedback from that second group is really what FFG needs.

Less than 2 months to make it available, play and get your feedback? I maintain this book is already finished, this is just to make money and check for typos.

Finished? no... but most of the book is the same rules. They are going to be looking for typos, and playtests on New races and classes... plus any minor differences like Duty.

It does not look like they are going to be supporting Imperial characters aside from perhaps some ex-Imps. But if they think they can make an entire book on just the rebels that is fine, perhaps they can make a splat book for imps.

It does not look like they are going to be supporting Imperial characters aside from perhaps some ex-Imps. But if they think they can make an entire book on just the rebels that is fine, perhaps they can make a splat book for imps.

I'd also say that it should be very trival for any group to adjust the fluff and skin the entire thing from the Imp side

everyone also needs to remember that dutybound is also under obligation as well. so they are taking things from obligation and expanding on certain obligations. Commitment is an obligation to the jedi as Duty is to the rebel alliance.