Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pac_Man3D

Arkham Horror RPG?

19 posts in this topic

Hi folks

What do you think of the potential for a new RPG set in the Arkham Horror universe? Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, the CoC LCG and Elder Sign all fit into their own niche within the mythos, sharing characters and organisations created or adapted by Fantasy Flight - surely there's scope for an RPG that uses Fantasy Flight's creations (and perhaps their narrative dice system) to great effect?

Any thoughts?

Pac_Man3D

Haha! Touche. But I reckon Fantasy Flight could put their own spin on things - different system, different ambience, different (and dare I say better) artwork, presentation and support?

Edited by Pac_Man3D

Why wait? I have had an Arkham Horror rpg going on for years. I use Arkham Unveiled, which has a big 3d map and is designed in a really fun way - the book works like a telephone directory with numbers on the map corresponding to entries inside. AH characters are very easy to convert, and most of the items too.

If you use rpg tools like Mythic and Mythic variations, you can even play solo...i can personally attest that the plots generated by these tools are capable of some *really* surprising twists. One game lured me into the woods investigating witch cults with a young girl looking for her brother that i was dating only to have her turn out to be my illegitimate sister, discovering that my father - a dentist - was also the head of a cult and the sire of 13. Of which i was eldest and was expected to take over after dad sadly completely lost his mind and never found it again.

This she explained casually as we made out under a tree. When i looked up, there were strange fruits, glistening entrails and bits of people up there...

Edited by dj2.0

Though you may denounce this account as the ravings of a degenerate lunatic, I care not, for I alone in that dank forest, the gibbous moon ripening above me, bore witness to that most eldritch of stygian fruits.

player1761766 and dj2.0 like this

Erm... Realms of Cthulhu rpg, check... Trail of Cthulhu rpg, check... CALL of Cthulhu? Nope... not familiar with THAT one (scratches head)...

I think there's a market for it potentially. I know ut's already covered by the Call of Cthulu RPG but FFG does do a very good take on the mythos that could be interesting to see in their own RPG.

XD Never said it was good--just that that is what they had in mind when making it.

And it seems that Eldritch Horror is another attempt at story-building.

There's a 7th edition Call of Cthulhu rule set due out soon, actually (per the kickstarter that Chaosium is doing).   I'll have to check that out.

It's interesting that I'm actually backing into the CoC RPG.  I had eschewed playing it years ago as it seemed rather clunky compared to D&D.  25 years on, and now I'm a die-hard AH fan; read every Lovecraft tale out there; started a business around this game...and only last month did I back on Kickstarter, the 7th edition...funny how things happen.

Julia,

As always, you make me <_< (I guesss that's blushing).  Richard Launius put it best in an e-mail to me..."these are exactly what is needed to bring even greater theme to the game table."

Pac_Man3D,

I can take credit for the original concept and some design ideas, but the actual crafting of our initial Masterpieces goes to my long-time friend, Rob.  He's currently in possession of over 300 pieces, in which he's painstakingly primed, painted, and sealed for delivery, albeit quite delayed, to our Backers.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor