Sign in to follow this  
Kager

AOR Beta

I don't think so.  I think they put out the beta for EotE to get!HYPE about the dice system and test the core mechanics of the game.  Since they kinda took care of most of that already, they're just building extra content and stuff for the other systems, so I dunno if they will do it.

I could possibly see them doing one for Force and Destiny, because force users have the potential of being game-breakingly OP.

I doubt it - the rule system is the same, according to Sam and the others, and that was the reason for the EotE beta. Having an AoR beta would suggest that rules would be changed, which could result in the game lines not being compatible.

I doubt it - the rule system is the same, according to Sam and the others, and that was the reason for the EotE beta. Having an AoR beta would suggest that rules would be changed, which could result in the game lines not being compatible.

Did I hear an echo?

As stated above.  Even in the EotE Beta, FFG mostlikley did many an hour of Alpha testing in house before releasing it, some of which was logically based on WFRP3E.

I could possibly see them doing one for Force and Destiny, because force users have the potential of being game-breakingly OP.

I don't think so. As long as they balance the xp expenditures, I think they can handle the Jedi just fine.  Besides, if Ep.3 showed us anything, it's that the Jedi are good, but not invincable.

Although.. I do question their ability to do math.

Yoda (speaking of anakin) He will bring balance to the force.

Obi-wan (doing math) Jedi polulation several hundred, sith 2... hummm seems like we'll come out on top...

As stated above.  Even in the EotE Beta, FFG mostlikley did many an hour of Alpha testing in house before releasing it, some of which was logically based on WFRP3E.

Obi-wan (doing math) Jedi polulation several hundred, sith 2... hummm seems like we'll come out on top...

Yoda was quite correct in the end saying, "He WILL bring balance". After the smoke cleared (forgetting EU for a second), Sith left with 2 (Darth + Emperor), Jedi left with 2 (Obi-wan + Yoda).

They did more testing than that prior to the beta. I should know, I was involved.

Edited by MILLANDSON

Yoda was quite correct in the end saying, "He WILL bring balance". After the smoke cleared (forgetting EU for a second), Sith left with 2 (Darth + Emperor), Jedi left with 2 (Obi-wan + Yoda).

GL says that the Sith are imbalances in the Force in and of themselves. Balance of the Force would mean no Sith whatsoever. Anakin brought balance by redeeming himself and killing the Emperor. According to GL, though. So ignore it if you choose.

On topic. As others have said, no real need for it. I can't see it happening.

A beta for AoR would worry me that the mechanics for the line are not fully stabilized. That would hint that the subsequent products would be less than 100% compatible.

Not necessarily. It could mean that they don't want new stuff breaking old stuff, making old stuff obsolete, or otherwise wind up with unexpected consequences. Even if the QA department has 500 people in it, they'll never find everything that could go wrong that all of us could.

Pretty sure the only reason we saw an EotE Beta rulebook was to 1) drum up interest and 2) test the hell out of their new narrative dice system, particularly as one of the recurring critiques of their Warhammer Fantasy RP 3rd edition was with the dice systems, and how it could at times slow the game down due to assorted issues.

Now that the narrative dice system has been pretty well tested, both internally and by the consumer base, and there is already plenty of buzz for the Star Wars RPG, there's really not much of a point to doing an AoR Beta, since that's going to be using many of the same core mechanics as EotE.

Now we could also be completely wrong, and it's part of FFG's intended development cycle to do a Beta of each of the three core rulebooks, and I doubt folks would have too much trouble forking over the $30 bucks for the stripped-down rules.  But I don't see it as really being all that feasible for FFG, particularly now that they've got the EotE product line to support.

Do you think FFG will follow the same lead as EOTE and put out a beta for AOR or no?

Well, it is a chance to try to sell us the same rules set one more time.

Do you think FFG will follow the same lead as EOTE and put out a beta for AOR or no?

Well, it is a chance to try to sell us the same rules set one more time.

It would be epic for FFG to susccesfully sell 6 different copies of one rules system to some gullible idiots (the beta and release of all three core books). I would probably be one of those idiots.

AOR is very likely already written and finished with typesetting and layout in the process now. From the time the Beta ended and the EotE book to hit shelves was 8-9 months. I can't possibly imagine they would release a beta at this point with such a short lead time to release.

AOR is very likely already written and finished with typesetting and layout in the process now. From the time the Beta ended and the EotE book to hit shelves was 8-9 months. I can't possibly imagine they would release a beta at this point with such a short lead time to release.

I agree I don't expect there to be an AoR Beta but I'd imagine we'll find out a lot more come Gencon ;)

HIGH--Larious! Hope the book is at GenCon next week. It would be almost the exact pattern. Last year they annouced the Beta to much applause...  and then said... "Oh by the way, it is here at Gencon... NOW. They are unboxing it on the floor as we speak.