Nomad_Carl

Talisman - Digital Edition

Steam is currently having a Summer sale on Talisman DE along with all currently released  expansions.(Forstmarch and Reaper)

I got the whole package for 13$. It's nice.

I don't really  have time to break out the physical copy along with all the extra footage, especially  now that I've switched to Relic, but the Digital Edition is a very nice diversion since I can play it anytime.

It's compact and light as an electronic package.

Works great as a filler.

Just to clarify, Frostmarch isn't in the Steam sale as an individual purchase, but everything else you say is correct.

The sale ends on Saturday so grab whatever you want soon as they won't be on sale again for a while!

Hello Carl ,

Very good job transfering the board game to digital . Only problem so far is that in online games most of the time the connection is lost after an hour or so..

Questions :

a) Is there an undo button on the way when it comes to casting spells

b) Do you have an ETA for the dungeon expansion?

Cheers

Hello Carl ,

Very good job transfering the board game to digital . Only problem so far is that in online games most of the time the connection is lost after an hour or so..

Questions :

Cheers

Hi!

Lost connections are usually caused by just one player in the game having a connection issue. Does this happen to you no matter who you play against? Or are you playing with the same group each time?

We won't be adding an 'undo' button for spells because it's extremely complicated. Once you go down the route of casting a spell and choosing a target, you're revealing to all the other players which spell you have. If you undid that then the secrecy is lost. Code-wise, rewinding the flow of showing spells and choosing targets is also very complicated.

We're working on the Dungeon expansion now and expect it to be ready for release in about 2 months. We haven't released a board expansion before, so it's new territory for us (excuse the pun). We need to get a system in place that lets us easily add the other 3 corner expansions in the future.

Carl

Hello Carl ,

Questions :

Cheers

Hi!

Lost connections are usually caused by just one player in the game having a connection issue. Does this happen to you no matter who you play against? Or are you playing with the same group each time?

We won't be adding an 'undo' button for spells because it's extremely complicated. Once you go down the route of casting a spell and choosing a target, you're revealing to all the other players which spell you have. If you undid that then the secrecy is lost. Code-wise, rewinding the flow of showing spells and choosing targets is also very complicated.

We're working on the Dungeon expansion now and expect it to be ready for release in about 2 months. We haven't released a board expansion before, so it's new territory for us (excuse the pun). We need to get a system in place that lets us easily add the other 3 corner expansions in the future.

Carl

Hey Carl ,

Thanks for taking the time to answer  . It happens with random players and friends,  at some time in the point the connection is lost and is probably what you said that it is because of the player loosing connection and not because of the game . What happens though almost every time we are online with either friends or random players is that at some point of the game , the game freezes it gets stuck and we are left to do nothing but chat in game how a good game of over two hours is wasted . It happens 9 out of ten times either it be a 3 player game or a 4 player game . I have only managed to finish a 2 player game once (and that was prior to the expansions) . This is not good for the game it takes away the joy of the online and it is kind of demotivating to play online . You guys should see to this problem .

The game will really take off when the other expansions are released especially with the border expansions and it will be a pity if online game is not steady .

I have a season pass for the game and eagerly awaiting the border expansions .

Up the Talismans

It's a really hard problem to fix, because there are so many variables involved. We've had hundreds, possibly thousands of online games with 4 players in the office, with a mix of steam friends and non-friends, and we never have any issues. We've also tried with us NOT in the office, and spread over 4 different networks. This leads us to think that it's somehow related to the specific network setup some players have. We use steam's servers for network games and that sometimes leads to problems if they have down-time.

The only way we can see if it's Steam that's causing the problem is if we use a different networking system, which we're working on right now. The Android version will use a network system called Photon, which is multi-platform. Once that is up and running and working we'll be rolling it out to the other platforms hopefully. The iPad version didn't have any disconnections and those players haven't reported any to us either, and that obviously doesn't use steam, so we're pretty sure the steam servers are affecting connectivity.

Did you try double-clicking those cards to use them? If you view your 'play area' by clicking the 3-card icon near the bottom, it shows you cards that can be used. When the Mercenary/Potion is glowing blue, double-click it to use it.

I have Ipad version. My achievement icons gain color once achieved, but you still gain XP for them... You get a XP bonus every time you fill the bar again. Im not sure what the 'alchemize 8 objects' is supposed to do...

For the record, I had a few glitchy things when I first gor it, but after I updated it with the new Frostmarch expansion it has been running very smooth.

Why can't I target with the heal spell? I wanted to heal the warrior character, and it only brought up the wizard (whom we did not want to heal).. And it forced me to select the wizard. I couldn't even pick myself or cancel the spell.

Is heal broken?

Steam/PC version

*edit* ok the spells in this game are broken. I just cast immobility and it forced me to pick a creature on the board instead of a character. Where do we report this crap, cause I almost want my money back this is making me so mad.

Alternately when a spell does not give you a target that is really valid, it should let you cancel the spell instead of forcing you to use it.

*edit 2* and heaven forbid you try to read a spell that is glowing blue.. nope it's cast!

*edit3* Devs if you are reading this, please fix the horrible spell mechanics, they are incredibly frustrating and I feel that I have wasted the money on the 4pack I bought. The people that I bought the the game for had an absolutely horrible time in our multiplayer session and they never want to play it again.

Edited by Kilazar

The fact that you could choose a target for Heal means that the spell does work, if you cannot target a particular character then it's very likely that they had the Amulet object. Can you remember if they did? That stops spells being cast on the character. Either that or they had no lives to heal.

Immobility is a tricky spell because of what you can do with it. If you want to cast it to make someone miss their turn, you have to cast it at the start of THEIR turn, not yours. If you want to use it to sneak past a creature, such as the Sentinel, then you must cast it at the start of YOUR turn. Whenever you cast it, you're always asked if you want to cast it on a player or a creature, so when you say you were forced to pick a creature, did you not get the option of player/creature? I've never seen that option not appear before. Did you cast it at the start of the Warrior's turn? If so, it really does sound like he had the Amulet and he cannot be targeted by spells.

I agree the digital edition should have easier to see effects that limit the casting of spells and other effects. The Amulet is one that a simpile icon like good and evil will do or even when you open your spells if it put a red cross over all characters that cannot be targeted thus allowing the player to know automatically who can be targetted straight away. The thing is if you put a time limit on a players turn (without having a "no time limit" option) you force players to choose quickly and clicking into items etc etc all the time to see who has a item or follower is time comsuming where as in the boardgame a simple glance at a character allows you to see the amulet.

A cancel button has already been ruled out so thats not a option at all as I hear. Ethier way something has to be done.

Hey Carl, I just had a AI cast shatter on a item that I had concealed in the concealed pouch. 

I guess that could be a legal move - although we dont allow it on our table top.

I also want to say that I find the game runs almost flawlessly. It feels like this happened after I updated it with the frostmarch expansion, but I also once I got used to how the game plays (on IPAD) and some minor subtle rule interpretations (that my group call differently). I cant imagine playing the board game solo, but DE is a great solitaire. Keep up the good work! Im looking forward to Dungeon. Any release idea for that for IPAD?

I agree the digital edition should have easier to see effects that limit the casting of spells and other effects. The Amulet is one that a simpile icon like good and evil will do or even when you open your spells if it put a red cross over all characters that cannot be targeted thus allowing the player to know automatically who can be targetted straight away. The thing is if you put a time limit on a players turn (without having a "no time limit" option) you force players to choose quickly and clicking into items etc etc all the time to see who has a item or follower is time comsuming where as in the boardgame a simple glance at a character allows you to see the amulet.

A cancel button has already been ruled out so thats not a option at all as I hear. Ethier way something has to be done.

If a character has the Amulet, it is shown on the left of the screen in an area where cards appear to show effects currently in play. If you mouse-over the Amulet (on PC), a tooltip will show you the name of the owner of the Amulet.

Edited by Nomad_Carl

Hey Carl, I just had a AI cast shatter on a item that I had concealed in the concealed pouch. 

I guess that could be a legal move - although we dont allow it on our table top.

I also want to say that I find the game runs almost flawlessly. It feels like this happened after I updated it with the frostmarch expansion, but I also once I got used to how the game plays (on IPAD) and some minor subtle rule interpretations (that my group call differently). I cant imagine playing the board game solo, but DE is a great solitaire. Keep up the good work! Im looking forward to Dungeon. Any release idea for that for IPAD?

I think that Shatter/Pouch thing is a legal move. They just cannot be 'taken' from you by another player I think.

Glad your iPad version is working well! The Dungeon expansion is likely to be released in early October, about 3 weeks or so away. Hopefully we'll release the Dungeon on all platforms at the same time.

Cross-platform multiplayer is coming soon too, so PC, Android and iOS owners will all be able to play together!

Hey all, really happy to see this come out on android, played this back in the 80's in high school and while the conditions are different, brings back alot of memories! Just one question, when defeating another player in 1v1 battle, I couldn't find a way to take a life away, just an item. I can select the player but it simply shows their characters skills, etc. Wondering if it's due to playing on a phone (5.1" screen) but not sure. Thanks in advance!