• Announcements

• FFG Fra

Upcoming Changes to the Fantasy Flight Games Forums   01/20/2017

Hello Fantasy Flight Games forum community!   This week, we will be making some important changes to your Fantasy Flight Games community account and the way that you log into the Fantasy Flight Games community forums and web store.   We have been working hard to integrate with the rest of the Asmodee group, and we are happy to announce a unified way to access all the websites and apps made by Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, and Asmodee!   For most users, nothing will change: you will still log into the Fantasy Flight Games forums using your current login name and password. Only the login user interface will be new.   For a few users, your credentials might be slightly changed. For example, this could happen to users who have both a Fantasy Flight Games and Days of Wonder account, or in the case of conflicting login names across platforms. When these situations occur, special e-mails will be sent to those users with an easy explanation about those changes and what steps to take next. For any of you receiving those e-mails, please make sure to follow the instructions carefully.   Remember, official communications from Fantasy Flight Games or Asmodee.Net will never ask for your password.   What are the benefits for you as a player? Using a unified account to access all of our web services and apps makes your life simpler. Over time, you will see new features emerging, such as keeping all of your friends under a single account, finding friends easily in apps with online play, or developing your personal profile by adding to your board games collection. These are just some of the features that you will see during the next year, once this important technical step is complete.   Important note: The migration of the forums to our new system will take place on Tuesday, January 24th. The forums will be offline for about two hours during that time. Once the migration is complete, older forum posts may look strange for up to 24 hours as we rebuild them in our new system.   We can’t wait to connect our board game communities and build bridges between universes, game systems, players, events, groups, game clubs, and more! This is only the first step in bringing people and games closer together. For more information, read our FAQ at https://asmodee.helpshift.com/a/asmodee-net/.   Best regards,   The Fantasy Flight Games Team
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
herozeromes

Star Trek: Attack Wing copyright infringement?

42 posts in this topic

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-wizkids-star-trek-attack-wing

So, I'm a big fan of Star Trek, but how is this NOT copyright infringement? I mean, everything from the ship bases, the movement templates, and even the Dice system are nearly identical. The only difference is that they haven't bothered with exact ship scales.

Does FFG license out their game mechanics to other companies?

It's hard to read, but on the image you can make out:

"The FLIGHTPATHtm Game system used under license from Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc"

That's been posted plenty of other places as well.  It's not infringement in at all.  WizKids saw a good thing, licensed it and build a game around it.  We will see how well it does.

WizKids has indeed paid FFG to utilize the Flight Path system. FFG were smart to partner with WK, as WK's parent Company NECA holds the license on many franchises, including Star Trek. I think this will be a good pairing. I am planning to get this at GenCon. I play some WK games & just got into X-Wing & really enjoy it, so since I like Star Trek as well as Star Wars I am going to give Attack Wing a try. Here are links to the info on WizKids' website.

http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/03/11/neca-wizkids-announce-star-trek-attack-wing-heroclix-board-game/

http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/05/23/wizkids-games-to-host-mini-tournaments-of-their-new-star-trek-attack-wing-miniatures-game-at-gencon/

http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/06/03/wizkids-games-proudly-announces-a-khan-exclusive-at-gencon-for-star-trek-attack-wing/

But Jesus, how tacky does that thing look compared to X-Wing? :(

Yeah, it looks pretty rough comparatively. The models are the same cheap ones that they've been producing for a while.

It's hard to read, but on the image you can make out:

"The FLIGHTPATHtm Game system used under license from Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc"

That's been posted plenty of other places as well.  It's not infringement in at all.  WizKids saw a good thing, licensed it and build a game around it.  We will see how well it does.

Okay, I was trying to see if they were mentioned, but I didn't see it.

The problem I have with this (and I LOVE Star Trek as much as I love Star Wars) is that Trek ships don't do the same things that Star Wars ships do. At all. You're taking dogfighting mechanics and using them for ship to ship encounters. The only Federation ships that would make sense are shuttles, runabouts, and the Defiant. Also, it wouldn't make sense for the Enterprise to maneuver on the same field with a Klingon Bird of Prey. The to-scale ships are what really make X-Wing work.

They are adding some interesting mechanics to the system.  Reverse maneuvers.  Non moving maneuvers.  Pilots/crew are separate from the ships.  I think they have an interesting take on it at least.  I don't think I'm going to buy into it, but at least they are adding something new and different to the system.

And what's with the front and back firing arcs on the Enterprise?  Photon Torpedoes forwards only, fine, but phasers are 360, aren't they?

Technicaly the torps are guided as well, so it dos`nt realy matter witch end they come out,or where the target is

Edited by Mykilus

The thing i think we need to remember is that StarWars ship combat was geared more as a "dog fight", where as StarTrek ship combat was more like real naval ship combat.  Larger ships with lots of toys, doing lots of things all at once.

I'd be willing to give attack wing a chance but component quality and presentation look to disappoint. Their ship minis aren't great on details (I keep whining about how terrible the Excelsior, one of my favorite ships, was butchered looks), and the cards look really thin. Plus the damage deck backs don't look very star trek at all.

I was also hoping to see some distinction between the eras, like TNG ships on large bases and the TMP/TOS era on small bases, but it would appear that WizKids threw out all consideration of that kind to support a multi-universe multi-timeline conflict of space battles. It could have been a beautiful game if they put more consideration into it.

Just feels like WizKids is trying to find ways to get rid of their subpar miniatures and hoping to ride the FlightPath system to success. I'll give it a chance, but it's not going to tear me away from X-Wing.

I'm even more into Star Trek than Star Wars so I'll maybe try it, but mixing eras is really really really stupid and the ships look lousy. Some mechanics sound good and the movement seems like it'll be a lot different in practice, but finding anyone to play with will be a huge challenge. Might just pass. I mean why a TOS Enterprise and a Reliant? Why not a refit at least? WHY????__

And what's with the front and back firing arcs on the Enterprise?  Photon Torpedoes forwards only, fine, but phasers are 360, aren't they?

On the Enterprise D the Main Phaser Banks are mounted in the Saucer Section and have a 270 degree firing arc (front, left and right). She also has 2 Phaser Banks (one on the Saucer and one on the Secondary Hull) mounted where the Saucer Section and Secondary Hull join together but those are only useable when the Saucer Section is separated. She also has three Photon Torpedo launchers in the Secondary Hull that can fire both fore and aft.

...star fleet battles....now that is some mental NRG!

Bah, give me B5 Wars over SFB any day. Nothing like watching the 4 Neutron Lasers of a Minbari Sharlin Warcruiser going in one side of an EA Omega class Destroyer and coming out the other side because you rolled a crapton of damage with them.

Never played B5, but I do agree that Star Fleet Battles (SFB) seems far more like a capital ship game that this new Star Trek Attack Wing.  But having said that I know very little about it so take my opinions lightly.

I just seems like with the license it's a different version of Star Wars X-Wing.  For Capital Ships I like to see damaged systems, repairing individual shields, etc.  For rules lawyering few things if anything beats SFB.

Sails of Glory also uses the flight path system.  I like Star Trek also but it appears that the minis they intend to use are horrible.

I watched a review of Sails of Glory. Looks like a fun game that captures the feel of naval combat in the Napoleonic Era. The movement system in the game is closer to the one for Wings of War/Glory than what we use in X-Wing, using cards with maneuvers printed on them instead of templates.

As for the miniatures for the new Star Trek game, it looks as if WotC is recycling the ships from their previous system which were god awful.

I will give Star Trek: Attack Wing a chance.  The only thing that will put the kabash on getting the game is the sculpts -- knowing the quality of WizKids is, in my opinion, sub-par, compared to (FFG) X-wing.  I just hope I do get a chance to demo it next weekend at Gen Con, with everything that is going on.
I will say this, it was Star Wars: X-wing . . . of course, that made me a fan of the "FlightPath" System.  Again, there are so many untapped properties that could utilize the FlightPath System.  I could see FFG, or another license put the system on Battlestar.   Sadly, I prefer the "Orginal", but the FlightPath System would work better with the "reimagined" BSG.