Sign in to follow this  
fjw70

What will be in Age of Rebellion?

They intend for each of the 3 core books to stand on it's own.  That way someone getting into the game with the 2nd book won't have to buy the first just to play.  It's good marketing really.  Lure people in on the cheap and then they'll buy more products if you capture their attention as opposed to turning people away with the high starting price point.

I honestly don't think that most purchasers would consider $60 to be "on the cheap" for a single RPG book.

It not bad actually. To play D&D you need a players handbook, DMG, and a Monster Manual. That's about $100. The EotE Core Rulebook has all three in the same book for $60.

They intend for each of the 3 core books to stand on it's own.  That way someone getting into the game with the 2nd book won't have to buy the first just to play.  It's good marketing really.  Lure people in on the cheap and then they'll buy more products if you capture their attention as opposed to turning people away with the high starting price point.

I honestly don't think that most purchasers would consider $60 to be "on the cheap" for a single RPG book.

It not bad actually. To play D&D you need a players handbook, DMG, and a Monster Manual. That's about $100. The EotE Core Rulebook has all three in the same book for $60.

D&D is not the standard for book pricing, and there really aren't enough stat blocks to warrant the inclusion of a monster manual in the mix as a comparison.

While I generally agree with you, especially when the quality is so high (heck I even bought two books), I think that it is a very high price point for people who are curious, young, or just beginning to game.  Especially when coupled with the requisite two sets of dice for $15 a pop, and likely a GM screen for $20.

There have been plenty of games that give you the base information for much less.  Yes, there is long term value to any RPG.  Yes, it is roughly equivalent in cost to a video game.  When all is said and done, it is still a book.  And a book for $60 is still a high price point for many people.  

$60 is high, but not unreasonably so for RPG core books these days. Especially as EotE is a one book game.

How many "core books" do most games require to play these days? And the "you need fancy dice" argument is null when it come to new players. They would need the fancy dice for other games too...

And the "you need fancy dice" argument is null when it come to new players. They would need the fancy dice for other games too...

You can get a standard polyhedral dice set for a fair bit less than $15, and many RPGs use six siders, which can be bought pretty cheap at non-specialty stores, even grocery stores. For that matter even non-hobby gamers may have a few six siders lying around the house. So the relatively high cost of the dice for these games still impacts the newcomer.

While I generally agree with you, especially when the quality is so high (heck I even bought two books), I think that it is a very high price point for people who are curious, young, or just beginning to game.  Especially when coupled with the requisite two sets of dice for $15 a pop, and likely a GM screen for $20.

Not disagreeing at all, but this bit just screams 'Beginner's Box' to me. Of course that doesn't cover the screen, but otherwise I think the curious, young, and beginning have a great, cheap product available.

They might just keep the word obligation and add military style obligations because duty seems to me just a form of obligation. Hopefully they will add a form of command system that will allow for requisitioning resources from the the PC's faction.

They might just keep the word obligation and add military style obligations because duty seems to me just a form of obligation.

They certainly might. I'd enjoy them using a new term though, simply for the colour aspect: you can be somebody like Han, who has an 'Obligation' to Jabba, but a 'Duty' to the Rebellion.

When it comes to Force and Destiny, somebody a few posts back mentioned they might call that version of Obligation an 'Oath'. I like that, too...