Sign in to follow this  
fjw70

What will be in Age of Rebellion?

We know that the big selling point of Force and Destiny is that it will have a bunch of force stuff, but what will be the big selling point of AoR?

We know it will have more careers/specs, races, and ships (probably a lot of fighters), but will there be any new rules in the book? Ground and space mass combat rules maybe? Or are new careers/specs, races, and ships enough of a selling point for a new core rulebook?

Just curious what everyone thinks. Hopefully with Gencon right around the corner we will get more info about what will be in that book.

It's a good question, because I can't think of much beyond what you already mentioned, except I imagine they'll be more gear and weapons.  Age of Rebellion sounds to me like EotE, but closer to the Core Worlds where you might deal with more dignitaries and politicians.  You can do that in EotE, but it's more tailored to the fringes of society and the underworld, so maybe we'll get a little more into the "Intrigue" of the galaxy, or in other words, the legal aspects of it.  Rather than dealing with crime lords, maybe we'll have the opportunity to deal with major corporations and governments.  The Age of Rebellion should still bring much conflict, obviously, but maybe we'll get to try and do it on the up-and-up.

As I understand the little of the blog and what I have heard.

* AoR, will be a full RPG. So all the rules will be printed again.

* Career's and Specs focused on Military, Intelligence, 

* very likely to include more fleet ship combat, but only from the PC perspective. Not running it.

* Military orientated gear

* Military rank or some such to replace Obligation. though I suspect it will have similar concept

* Force. Where as EtoE shows force abilities shown in New Hope. I suspect we will see Luke capabilities from RotJ

* Rules to handle PC participating in battles.

* A lot of fluff about Rebel and Imperial structure, groups, ideas. With a lot more politics.

Those are my thoughts on AoR. 

Yeah.  Instead of playing fringers, you'll be playing Rebels and Imperials, so it will have lots of info about that, and lots of cool stuff for us to combine with the info already found in EotE to make even stronger Star Wars campaigns.  I suspect F&D will do similar, but the conflict will be primarily surrounding the Force instead, with Jedi vs. Sith, or at least Light vs. Darkness.

Well, I mean, even if they gear the book towards playing Rebels, you can EASILY just play Imperials instead.  I mean, hell, you could play a Stormtrooper right now using EotE if you wanted to.  Just be a Mercenary Soldier/Bodyguard that uses blaster rifles and wears laminate armor :P.  

Well, I mean, even if they gear the book towards playing Rebels, you can EASILY just play Imperials instead.  I mean, hell, you could play a Stormtrooper right now using EotE if you wanted to.  Just be a Mercenary Soldier/Bodyguard that uses blaster rifles and wears laminate armor :P.

True. Though rebel adversaries would be nice.

Ooo yeah, I do hope they do that.  I'm sure they will, though, since it would be nice even to have Rebel dudes for Rebel campaigns if they fight alongside the PCs, or if they just need to interact with them socially.

I am very intrigued to see what exactly will replace Obligation. I'm assuming Age of Rebellion will have it's own unique mechanic, and that Obligation is a mechanic unique to Edge of the Empire.

The idea of military rank that jayderyu suggested seems likely.

Perhaps they will do something similar to what was done in the Rebellion Era Campaign Guide for Wizards of the Coast's Star Wars: Saga Edition and provide rules (or guidelines) for building your own particular type of military squad.

It will be especially fun then, I'm guessing, to mix and match characters created from the different Core Rulebooks.

"Age of Rebellion" will focus on the youth of the Galaxy. It will include rules for wild hair colours and styles, piercings, tattoos and body modification. New Careers will include the Party Animal, Slacker, and Musician. It will feature expanded material on youth culture, galactic teen idols and speeder racing.

"Age of Rebellion" will focus on the youth of the Galaxy. It will include rules for wild hair colours and styles, piercings, tattoos and body modification. New Careers will include the Party Animal, Slacker, and Musician. It will feature expanded material on youth culture, galactic teen idols and speeder racing.

drum%2Broll.png

* Military rank or some such to replace Obligation. though I suspect it will have similar concept

Why would Obligation need to change?  The basic principle is still sound and should be usable for AoR and FaD.  The higher your rank, the more Obligation you have (and the more people will come after you if you don't live up to it).  Jedi have Obligation to the Order and their masters, Sith to their master, etc.

Why would Obligation need to change?  The basic principle is still sound and should be usable for AoR and FaD.  The higher your rank, the more Obligation you have (and the more people will come after you if you don't live up to it).  Jedi have Obligation to the Order and their masters, Sith to their master, etc.

I completely agree. Although, if Obligation gets replaced, it would be nice to see a way of converting Obligation into this "Rank", so that characters could eventually give up on the Fringe and become Rebels/Imperials or the other way around. 

I always thought this was what Star Wars was about: playing a pirate who also helps the Rebellion and who can also be trained as Jedi or Sith (:

Wouldn't this sort of be the opposite of how our current obligation is seen however?

The higher your obligation, the less likely civilized people will deal with you and the more willing crime bosses will respect you.  Higher rank will work in a polar opposite fashion.

Higher obligation for a Jedi to his master/order isn't going to make it easier for him to deal with Hutts or make him look like a lawless criminal.

My guess is that they will talk about ranks, but not mess with the obligation meter at all.  Military duty and jedi codes will be explained as motivations, not obligations.  A military officer taking on obligation would be threatening his career.  Blackmail becomes a major threat.  Just think of some of the US generals and the scandels that revolved around their obligations to other women.

While fringers take on obligations left and right on a daily basis, things will be a bit different in the core worlds.  Most of the plot seeds I'm coming up with for the Edge is based around criminal activity.  Hired by thugs or Hutts.  Perhaps working for law enforcement off the books (as the law can't really associate with your kind).  We're living in the wild west of space out in the Edge.

The core worlds will be a bit different though, and there will be more options for clean cut characters.  Dealing with the Imperials or the Rebels.  Working for politicians.  Working for corperations.

All of those groups will also have needs for the seedier characters too.

Likely replacing Obligation with 'conviction' maybe?  Conviction would be a measure of how strong your loyalty/connection to the cause (be it the Alliance or the New Order, or anything else, like Corellia's independance, Mandalore's code, etc).  Higher the score the more the military brass support you, rivals respect you (even if they intend to shoot you on sight now), and more neutral types veer away from you.  Lower conviction makes you more accessible to neutrals but may call into question issues of double-dealing, corruption, etc.  Like Obligation it can come up in game (i.e. your faith in General Madine is tested when your team is left high and dry in a bad operation and a bounty hunter is willing to help you out... if you let him operate under your protection for a bit to eliminate a rival officer).

Maybe AoR will also be a bit like Only War - rules for unit creation and mass combat (maybe not mass combat, but more squad based, talents with minion control, etc).

- Ma'at

(Oh yeah, hi - first post)

I was thinking that the inverse of Obligation might be Reputation.

Consider the mechanics of Obligation:

• It's designed to help inspire and direct story.
  • It can serve as a stress factor with mechanical impact.
  • It can serve as a limiter for who will deal with the character.

To me, Reputation is the positive version of that. Rather than owing more as you get to a higher level, people are more and more likely to seek you out for assistance. The stress factor is your growing responsibility. And it's the exact inverse of Obligation in terms of who will talk to you.

In a sense, that's what drives both Han Solo and Malcolm Reynolds. In FIREFLY, it's often mentioned that Mal does "belong" anywhere -- he's too shady for polite society, but too reputable to be at home with criminals. (As an aside, the fact that his home exists literally between worlds, and that he's put together a crew that could not exist anywhere except between worlds is a brilliant metaphor.)

It probably won't happen, but I was hoping they'd put out a version of the book without all the basic rules in it again.  While I'll certainly still buy it, It's a bit annoying that I have to pay for replicated content.  How many times do I really have to have putting a dice pool together explained.

Other then that, I'll be happy if it just has more professions, ships, species, equipment and the like.  I like more choices.

It probably won't happen, but I was hoping they'd put out a version of the book without all the basic rules in it again.  While I'll certainly still buy it, It's a bit annoying that I have to pay for replicated content.  How many times do I really have to have putting a dice pool together explained.

Other then that, I'll be happy if it just has more professions, ships, species, equipment and the like.  I like more choices.

Only one core rulebook would be great but that ship has sailed unfortunately.

They intend for each of the 3 core books to stand on it's own.  That way someone getting into the game with the 2nd book won't have to buy the first just to play.  It's good marketing really.  Lure people in on the cheap and then they'll buy more products if you capture their attention as opposed to turning people away with the high starting price point.

Certain sections will be repeated, but honestly, most of the book won't.  New races, classes, ships, weapons, planets, adventure, etc.

As for obligation vs reputation.  Obligation is your reputation.  Are you well known as a bad guy dealing with thugs and villians? Then you likely have a high obligation, or a negative reputation.  Are you a hero to the people?  Do you pay off your debts, deal honestly with others, and keep your noise clean for the most part?  Then your obligation is likely low and your have a reputation as a good person.  Hutts find you suspicious and politicians will meet with you in public.

I think most of my group would have a hard time trying to distinguish one from the other.

We know that the big selling point of Force and Destiny is that it will have a bunch of force stuff, but what will be the big selling point of AoR?

We know it will have more careers/specs, races, and ships (probably a lot of fighters), but will there be any new rules in the book? Ground and space mass combat rules maybe? Or are new careers/specs, races, and ships enough of a selling point for a new core rulebook?

Just curious what everyone thinks. Hopefully with Gencon right around the corner we will get more info about what will be in that book.

T'm thinking, to watch "The Empire Strikes Back" very closely will have our answers..

They intend for each of the 3 core books to stand on it's own.  That way someone getting into the game with the 2nd book won't have to buy the first just to play.  It's good marketing really.  Lure people in on the cheap and then they'll buy more products if you capture their attention as opposed to turning people away with the high starting price point.

I honestly don't think that most purchasers would consider $60 to be "on the cheap" for a single RPG book.

I'm not too worried about the doubling up of rules stuff. We only have one book at the table at the moment and it means there is a high demand for it. Having the diversity of a second book, with its different focus and options, and yet the continuity of rules and mechanics is going to be helpful.