Sign in to follow this  
GoTLove?

A Plea for Decency to the Colluders and Snakes

Christian, LaughingTree is Jimmy Bagels.  I think his post was referring to the OP, not you :) Dobbler said all that I would've said, so I don't think I need to respond to the OP, except to say that I do not look forward to meeting anyone who would try to tear down the community like this.

As a member of the DC meta, I feel like I have to comment on this thread.

My reaction to the original post was the same as many of yours.  It's disappointing and depressing to see something so negative in our community.  This type of post attacking a player is totally inappropriate, and I want everyone to understand that the post in no way reflects the feelings or values of the DC meta.

I play this game for one reason: to hang out with friends and to make new ones.  I know the same is true for many of you.  I hope we can all move on from this incident and get back to focusing on getting ready for Gencon and looking forward to seeing everyone.

Corey

Christian, LaughingTree is Jimmy Bagels.  I think his post was referring to the OP, not you :) Dobbler said all that I would've said, so I don't think I need to respond to the OP, except to say that I do not look forward to meeting anyone who would try to tear down the community like this.

Yes. Sorry Christian, my  post was 100% referring to the OP ,  I just didn't make it clear  that I was talking to you about the OP. Sorry for the confusion :)

Edited by LaughingTree

Ugh... I'm going to have to be an irritating rules lawyer again (due to certain choices of vocabulary, which are probably just slightly off by accident):

I need to remind everyone of the fact that passive abilities are not triggered, not optional and it's the common duty of all players at a table to remember them. Unless there's some kind of 'may' involved in the wording, which Kings of Winter does not have. So, it's not a case of the player with The Kings of Winter Agenda being the only person who needs to remember it. I'll refer you to the Code of Conduct portion of the Tourney Rules, particularly that for Misrepresentation.

However, that said, I've got no doubt whatsoever that a player of Mathlete's caliber would resort to anything in the form of Misrepresentation. Oh, and backtracking after choices/actions are made is always difficult thing in competitive games.

So, I guess I mainly wanted to point out to the would-be Jaime's out there that any kind of ignoring of mandatory passives is not 'playing to win' but rather 'playing against the rules'.

Just as clarification: so as long as I tell my opponent at the beginning of the game that it is also his responsibility to remember all of my passive effects I can go back and claim a potential code of conduct violation every time the winter agenda passive effect is "forgotten"?

You could claim whatever you like. Each of those passives forgotten was just as much your responsibility as his, and unless you suspect him of deliberately avoiding your passive and could demonstrate it to a judge, your claim doesn't have a lot of weight to it. If a player is repeatedly accused of selectively forgetting passives, the judges may then take action.

The easiest thing is not to forget (obviously), and not to forget your opponent's passives either; then everyone has a better game all around.

Edited by -Istaril

If anyone actually questions the kindness and honesty of John Bruno, I invite you to come play AGoT in SoCal.  He doesn't just build metas, he builds metas the right way.  If you do not have a good time playing AGoT with us, then you do not know what a good time is.

Edited by Deathjester26

So, the OP has the misconception that if mathlete did cheat, the community would protect him because he's a champion? The answer is no, if anyone got caught cheating it would be quite the controversy. Also, winning a torunament does not make one popular, its what they do to build and maintain the meta which both mathlete and dobbler have done. The description is incredibly out of character. However, if anyone tried to rush to marshaling denying me the chance to trigger a passive, I would deal with the situation right at the tournament. But the I AM AN ###HOLE, so I have no problem being rude :)

Of course being the ###hole I am, I am going to note my disappointment at the fact that a few of you have lowered yourselves to my level, and that is a shame.

As people have said in more polite and more rude variations: There have been no past incidents of cheating in their experience. And what can I say? All my interactions with him have been pleasant.

Edited by bloodycelt

Also...for more rule lawyering....even the "may" passives must be resolve. So the player with a vigilant character MUST have the option of standing his character. 

On the topic of rushing....it would depend on the match. I remember watching the streamed match of Dan with Bruno. At the end some where saying that john was rushing and skiping things (by chat). But there was the other point of view that Dan was playing slow on purpose....i have seen both play in person, and although i don't really know whats in their heads, i didn't feel anyone was cheating. It's just that when you are playing fast paced things get forgotten and when the slow pace at the start is lingering in the foreseable future of the match things also get forgotten. 

My two grains of salt/suger...or whatever you say. ;)

See you all at gencon....and i would definetly like to taste the brew!!

Well...this is the most views and posts a thread has gotten since the rebirth xD

~That's IT! The thread was started by someone from FFG to generate traffic for the forums! Quick, somebody start a "GoTLove? is Christian T. Petersen" thread!

As a member of the DC meta, I feel like I have to comment on this thread.

My reaction to the original post was the same as many of yours.  It's disappointing and depressing to see something so negative in our community.  This type of post attacking a player is totally inappropriate, and I want everyone to understand that the post in no way reflects the feelings or values of the DC meta.

I play this game for one reason: to hang out with friends and to make new ones.  I know the same is true for many of you.  I hope we can all move on from this incident and get back to focusing on getting ready for Gencon and looking forward to seeing everyone.

Corey

I have to second Corey's intimations here. As the oldest (:sigh:) member of the DC meta, and one who values inclusiveness (both within our own meta, and the global meta), I am not appreciative of character-sniping, or of antagonistic trolling. The OP does not reflect the opinions of the DC meta. Although I must add that people are still entitled to their own opinions, misconceptions, and errors. 

I have yet to be able to hang out with many in other metas, simply because I am quite the introvert, but I would hope that I (or anyone else in my meta) would not be judged by the anonymous ramblings of the OP (or by the association with other intentionally-unspecified infamous players lol).

I have always appreciated this game's community, and I think it is strong enough to weather a post that is obviously an outlier. I hope to see all of you at Gencon. Maybe I will be able to attend the crazy after-party that I have somehow avoided for the past two years!

Dan Ach

Can somebody at least touch upon the topic of people intentionally forgetting passives in such a way that we come up with a good resolution for it? I mean it's not like this is the first time this accusation has been made. I'm sure some of the DC guys remember when one of hte NYC guys came down and was forgetting stuff (I don't think any of us were particularly amused by it).

What if Ktom is the judge and is called over multiple times because of this? Should there be a means by which a player can request a referee for a game so that this doesn't happen? Are we saying "well you're boned if this happens because we can't referee games." This is a serious problem and is likely to grow if the game increases in popularity. What's the best resolution for this? I say refereeing games, but it's not feasible really.