Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DurakBlackaxe

New content for WFRP, When?

22 posts in this topic

I was wondering when they would release a list of what they are planning next report like they did for other the other expansions.

Was waiting for more content so I could get my Grey Magic set, its cheaper for the postage if more posted together. Do they give you 2 months notice or a months?, I know the Pods give you like a few minutes notice.

As a player, I like more careers for rank 3 and 4, dwarves are quite limited in that regard. High elf, wood elf, Bretonnia, Kislev, the border princes, Araby. More origins for those types like there was in Hero's call for humans and dwarves. I know there is player made content but I cant produce good quality cards.

Whenever I decide to gm, I would love more creatures from the world, the rare undead, the slann/skink/sauron (book just released), the forces of Law who we rarely hear of now. 1st edition had a few special law demons. Chaos dwarves etc.

Also like to seem more spells for the missing racial types. Ice Magic, Lizardman High magic (obviously not the world spells), Chaos dwarf magic, High Elf magic ( there must be some sort of lower ranking spell system), Law magic for those followers of the Law gods.

So far everything is focused inside the empire, lets get something west/east/south, north is self explanatory only really kislev and ice witches content. Wonder how Teclis would explain Ice Magic.

When I was reading about Dragons, I learnt that the more powerful Master Runes that were allegedly lost were in fact created with Dragon fire/magic which due to the wildness of the dragons cannot be duplicated today. Also the Dragons were used by the Old ones to construct the World Gates, which could mean that some high level Lizardman spells arent able to be cast without Dragon help. Maybe thats how the High Elves created that vortex of drain magic, Dragon help, wasnt the High mage of that time a Dragon Prince?

The game has such a rich lore its a pity that it feels limited to such a small area.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe
JA_42 likes this

Those POD's have been coming out every other month in an attempt to placate us while they work on SW.  They promised dice /again/, but that doesn't mean anything as they've been promising dice for 2 years and customer service must just have a standard line that they give out regarding that.  Jay Little was quoted as having stuff that they /want/ to do, but he gave no specifics.  Seems though that there is a pretty big influx of new players who are interested in fantasy' b/c of the sw drum.  That's good anyways.

In the meantime, we'll have plenty of people trying to perfect the house rules for emulating a differen't game system to play the same game system :)

Best to just keep your scenario avenues open with older stuff and adaptations from other systems (wait until Zweihander starts putting out scenarios..they will be highly compatable theme-wise).

Edited by Emirikol
JA_42 likes this

When I wrote my post it was spaced and paragraphed, what happened to it?

*okay think I fixed it*

Edited by DurakBlackaxe

I'd like to see another supercampaign that covered some of that stuff.  For example:  The Enemy Within involves a bit of travelling (spoiler) around the empire and you get to see some places.  That would be cool to go from Reikland to Brettonia, An maybe get some updated details there.  Or From Kreutzhofen, through the underground river to Tilea or something would also be neat.

jh

Keeop likes this

Some Gazeteers on regions of the Old World would be pretty fun for when the gears start moving again...

As to when that will happen is really anyone's guess. (Is anyone going to GenCon who can ask?)

I will be at GenCon and last year I asked about WFRP at FFG's Warhammer RPG seminar. It was the only none 40k question. not sure if they are having another seminar this year but they are running some demos that I signed up for so I will ask again. I personally don't expect any more big box releases. Probably just some PODs and maybe another big adventure in the vain of The Enemy Within to close out the line.I think it is a fantastic game and really under appreciated, but unless there is a big influx of Edge of the Empire players (to Jay's point) I don't think we will see much new material.

Keeop likes this

I can see them doing another sourcebook/adventure combo, or perhaps make it a little bigger into a campaign. I don't think they're done with this game, or else the dice and Adventurer's Toolkit would not already be on the boat here.

Maybe they are planing something becouse the core set is also reprinted. Maybe even Jay Little will come back as leading designer - that would be something, I always thought he was the soul of this game.

If they ging to cver more unexplored areas of the Old World then I whink there is a chance that I will come back to this game or just buy those sourcebooks for the backgroud info in them.

Just one more week and GenCon is here, lrt's hope to hear something there about the future of the WFRP line.

JA_42 likes this

Almost 6 months now since last PoD went out.

If not for the word from one of those cons that they were developing stuff.

I would think they had forgotten.

Am wondering if the PoD sales are working out.

I know I am buying them.

My guess is the PODs would have worked out, had they made them useful to a larger audience.  Rather they chose the CCG mentality, not realizing that only the hardcore collector is going to pick up these hyper-specialized-useful-to-no-one cards.

I hadn't realized that it had been 6 months already..I think that probably spells the end.

Actually I have realised that Daniel is involved as a designer in many Star Wars books, like the Beginners box the Edge of the Empire core book, or the new Age of Rebellion core book. I wonder who is in charge of Warhammer 3 now. Any of you know something?

Edited by Yepesnopes

I guess if I'm holding out for an epic Storm of Chaos invasion campaign then to follow on from TEW, I'll be waiting a long time. I had best get start writing now then...

They are reprinting all the core materials for the game (at least they list it in the Upcoming link). I'm guessing that they haven't abandoned the line entirely. 

Reprints unfortunately do not mean that they are doing anything with the line. Lets face it the PODS probably exercise the artwork department far more than the development guys or writers.

It looks like all the development is going into Star Wars and the 2nd Edition of Dark Heresy. Consequently I suspect that we are not going to see anything remotely new before 2015-16. What we get then is anybodies guess, though because of the gap between major publications, I suspect, not hope, that it will be a new edition.

Can only speculate. It'll be a pretty easy thing on my end. If we get new 3e materials I'll buy them up. If it's a brand new edition I won't. Too many games out there I want to try before reinvesting in an IP I already own. I've got years of play left in my 3E set and Star Wars to run and invest in so I'm not too concerned either way. There are some excellent resources out there for filling in the few blank spots we see currently. Personally, I'd love a few more Super Campaign box sets before the curtains close.

Edited by Keeop
The 1 Eyed King likes this

Reprints unfortunately do not mean that they are doing anything with the line. Lets face it the PODS probably exercise the artwork department far more than the development guys or writers.

It looks like all the development is going into Star Wars and the 2nd Edition of Dark Heresy. Consequently I suspect that we are not going to see anything remotely new before 2015-16. What we get then is anybodies guess, though because of the gap between major publications, I suspect, not hope, that it will be a new edition.

I have all the 3E stuff and while it would be a shame to pack it up for a new edition, I must admit that a warhammer game using the streamlined EotE rules would be lovely.

Doc likes this

I have all the 3E stuff and while it would be a shame to pack it up for a new edition, I must admit that a warhammer game using the streamlined EotE rules would be lovely.

I would buy it if I could still use either existing set of dice.

Opposed checks are the one, big, glaring difference between the two systems that makes my house-rule wheels turn at all. It could be reasonably mimicked but I don't know about the Chaos Stars on the challenge dice. At any rate, the first time I had my players roll an opposed check in EotE i had to sit there and chuckle to myself and just reply "oh nothing" when I was asked about it :)

It makes sense (if they did do another edition) to use the EotE dice. They have more market penetration with that game than this one – what with EotE being the #2 selling game right now, and 2 other core books over the next 3 years. 

Opposed checks are the one, big, glaring difference between the two systems that makes my house-rule wheels turn at all. It could be reasonably mimicked but I don't know about the Chaos Stars on the challenge dice. At any rate, the first time I had my players roll an opposed check in EotE i had to sit there and chuckle to myself and just reply "oh nothing" when I was asked about it :)

Yeah opposed checks in EotE are close to 50/50 for equal opponents. But the anti dice bloat of upgrading dice is awesome too. The 1/12 despair/triumph is also great instead of 1/6 and 1/8.

But what I really like about EotE is that you can easily recreate the effects from the WFRP cards using the symbols for the different effects. It just feels much more free form and dynamic. The simple fact that if you miss someone you can still use an advantage to simulate that you either make him go a bit out of cover or distract him.

willmanx likes this

Reading this, I would really like to see them tweak the rules for WFRP3e, using what they learned from EotE where all the existing cards etc would still fit. Then publish one big rulebook collecting the new versions of the rules for all published expansions so far.

So you could just buy one handy book which then upgraded your game to WFRP3.2

Then they could also do some editing work to make the rulebook easier to use for actually looking up rules. (For example, summarize all character creation rules in one place with an easy to understand flowchart)

Emirikol likes this

FFG Executive: "Alright Team!  Lets create more content! The nerds love that crap."*looks puzzled as the office is filled by a single employee*"Why aren't there more of you?"

FFG Staff "You fired us"

FFG Executive "No I didn't Warcraft is one of our best products"

FFG Staff: "You mean Warhammer"

FFG Executive "You know what I mean you idiot!"

FFG staff: *spends a week on carefully designing new content* "Ok how about this?"

FFG Executive: *looks puzzled* So where's the space marines?"

FFG staff "um sir, Warhammer fantasy doesn't have space marines"

FFG Executive "What the hell is Warhammer Fantasy!!? You're fired!!"

and so ended the employment of the last wfrp3 content designer.

Does that answer your question?

Apollwn and Emirikol like this