Sign in to follow this  
fjw70

Triumph and Despair in the movies

Episode II

Mace Windu and Jango Fett duking it out in the arena while the droids are firing, the jedi are swinging, and all hell is breaking loose.  Fett uses Two-Weapon Fighting with his pistols against Windu, and rolls a despair.  The GM bounces a blaster bolt off of the lightsaber and it grazes the nearby rampaging Reek.  Enraged, it charges Fett.

It makes its combat check, fails, but rolls 3 advantage and a Triumph.  The GM knocks Fett prone, and has the Reek destroy his jet-pack.

The Reek turns to charge again, but Fett gets up, spends some Strain to Aim, and pops the Reek with a Triumph for insta-kill.

Fett goes back to two-weapon fighting again, but can't hit Mace.  That increased difficulty is killing his rolls... Mace closes, engages... and TRIUMPHS with a lightsaber crit to remove the Fett-man's helmet, with head still inside.

Boba cries.

I like this, but one thing...Jango was only using 1 of his pistols in this fight (he lost the other one on Kamino, I believe). The only reason I know this is because I just rewatched that clip 10 minutes ago while researching his specific pistol (WESTAR-34). Such a great scene!

And I am totally digging this entire thread!

P.S. GM Chris...love the podcast...ever since the Saga days.

Edited by imachubchub

Qui-gon rolled a despair and ended up with Jarjar as a sidekick.  That GM was a ----

Han rolled some threat and a triumph as the shuttle Tydirium was transmitting its code sequence to land on Endor.

No no, Jar Jar was played by the little sister of another player.  Read Darths & Droids...it makes PERFECT sense.

Qui-gon rolled a despair and ended up with Jarjar as a sidekick.  That GM was a ----

Han rolled some threat and a triumph as the shuttle Tydirium was transmitting its code sequence to land on Endor.

No no, Jar Jar was played by the little sister of another player.  Read Darths & Droids...it makes PERFECT sense.

Darths & Droids made Jar Jar a lovable character, something I'd never thought I'd say...

I like this, but one thing...Jango was only using 1 of his pistols in this fight (he lost the other one on Kamino, I believe). The only reason I know this is because I just rewatched that clip 10 minutes ago while researching his specific pistol (WESTAR-34). Such a great scene!

And I am totally digging this entire thread!

P.S. GM Chris...love the podcast...ever since the Saga days.

Thank you!

And ****!  You're right!!!!  [goes off to re-write scene...]

The best example I came up with was from ESB.

Han is looking for Luke on Hoth, while riding a Tauntaun. Han rolls a successful pool, but also rolls a despair thanks to increased difficulty from Environmental factors. So, Han finds Luke, but the Tauntaun dies. So, he does a vigilance check, and since he's pretty good at improvising and staying alive, I give him a boost die. So, he rolls successfully with a triumph, but there is a net threat. Thanks to that triumph, he has remembered to bring a shelter to set up, but those threats mean that Luke will freeze if he doesn't come up with something fast. So, Han decides to use Luke's lightsaber to slice open the Tauntaun. I would just let him do it as a simple check since the Tauntaun isn't moving.

Awesome thread!

Stormtroopers were ordered to use perception to search some suspicious activity on the death star.  All of them failed, except one rolled a despair... and then smacked his face into a door.

Chewie rolled successes and despair putting C3P0 together and got his head backwards...

Lone Star rolled successes and despir when he jammed the radar but forgot Dark Helmet would immediately realize it was him when he used raspberry... :P

Maybe Despair and Triumph for the droids on Tatooine falling into jawa hands only to end up meeting Luke (or was that the Force guiding stuff?)

Leia must have had triumphs to resist whatever interrogation she had to deal with

Obi-wan was successful in his attempt to convince the squad leader that those weren't the droids they were looking for. He got a Triumph so the other five didn't question the fact that the commander just repeated everything said to him by the old man.

I don't think I saw when Han stepped on the stick which snapped as he crept up behind the last Biker Scout mentioned...

That's just a failure, in my opinion. Possibly failure with threat at worst.

Awesome thread!

Stormtroopers were ordered to use perception to search some suspicious activity on the death star.  All of them failed, except one rolled a despair... and then smacked his face into a door.

LOL