Sign in to follow this  
fjw70

Triumph and Despair in the movies

What are some examples of someone rolling triumph or despair in the SW movies? I will start.

Han rolled a failure and despair when he tried to hot wire the bunker doors in RotJ (the despair closed an additional door).

Han or Chewie rolled a despair when navigating their way through an asteroid field to escape the imperial fleet, only to have to have landed in the belly of a space slug.

Threat when Vader threw items at Luke in Empire and it smashed the windows, causing a vacuum.

Triumph when Han charged after the guards by himself and scared them all, with a number of threat that he would run directly into their reinforcements.

- The ewok rolling a success and triumph trying to work the speeder bike - he got the rest of the stormtroopers to follow.

- Anakin rolled a fail firing torpedoes at the droids, but a triumph made him hit the main generator. (ew Episode I reference!)

• TIE Fighters pursuing Han into the Asteroid field rolled Despair on their piloting checks and ran into asteroids.

Luke rolled a Triumph when he got the torpedo into the Death Star's exhaust port (at least in my opinion).

Han/Chewie rolled a Triumph when attacking Vader's wingman and caused him to fly off and hit Vader's TIE (or the pilot rolled a Despair)

When Han landed the Falcon at the trash port on the Star Destroyer in Empire, he rolled Triumph to completely lose them, but Threat which meant Boba Fett was able to go after them (and possibly rolled a failed/threat/despair on the Astrogation check to get to Bespin, since Boba Fett and Vader managed to get their quite ahead of them).

The A-Wing Pilot who crashed into the Executor's bridge rolled at least one Triumph.

Edited by Sinosaur

Han Triumph against the squad of Stormtroopers he chases down that Death Star corridor in A New Hope. He took an Attack action, he shot one, the rest fled and he pursued yelling madly.

I would say a success... with 3 threats on whatever the bluff skill is (names escapes me now for some reason): Han runs down the hall scaring the troopers.. only to run around the corner into a small squad, aka 2 more minion groups (ORIGINAL 1977 version of course).

DESPAIR: Han rolling to hotwire the entrance to the base on Endor...  "I got it I got it!" Closes a blast door.

TRIUMPH: Han is about going to attempt to surrender and give up to the approaching using Coerce to prevent them from just getting blasted... Turns out it is an ally inside.

Edited by BrashFink

- The ewok rolling a success and triumph trying to work the speeder bike - he got the rest of the stormtroopers to follow.

- Anakin rolled a fail firing torpedoes at the droids, but a triumph made him hit the main generator. (ew Episode I reference!)

As for the ewok, I'd say he made a successful piloting check, but rolled some threat along with it (almost falling off).

He wasn't interacting with the scout troopers, but with the speeder bike.  The troopers choose to follow on their own.

Lando rolled a success to navigate the Death Star II corridors.  But rolled a Despair, causing the Falcon to clip a low ceiling, sheering off the Radar dish.

I'd probably say that might have been threat, but it's hard to say. 

Lando rolled a success to navigate the Death Star II corridors.  But rolled a Despair, causing the Falcon to clip a low ceiling, sheering off the Radar dish.

I'd probably say that might have been threat, but it's hard to say. 

I think despair would be fitting.  A threat could be ship strain.  This is direct damage to the ship and it's going to bork their communications up until they get some major repairs.  That sounds like despair.

Luke's player: I try to time a break between the stormtroopers' shots, and then dive across the corridor into the chute!

GM: That sounds pretty tough and dangerous. *Flips a Destiny Point* Okay, make an Acrobatics skill roll.

Luke: Two successes, two threat and one despair.

GM: Ooh, okay, you plunge down the chute and land in a reeking garbage pit filled with foul, toxic water up to your knees. Something slithers beneath the water; there's a creature in here, and it wraps a tentacle around your leg!

Han: I dive in too! *Rolls* One success, one advantage.

GM: Well, Han lands in the pit but the monster doesn't go after him, it seems to be locked in on Luke. It yanks him under the water!

Han: I shoot it! *Rolls* Two successes, one triumph and one despair.

GM: You blast away at the water where you think the creature might be, and for a moment, nothing happens. Suddenly, Luke splashes to the surface! The monster has set him free and fled.

Han: Well, that's the triupmh. What about the despair?

GM: ...and that's when the trash pit's two mechanical walls groan and creak as they come to life, sliding inexorably toward each other, crushing everything between them...

Luke Fails with multiple advantages: Cannot get speeder bike unstuck.... jumps off suffering strain. The other one is getting away! Luke player flips Destiny and says "he wants to come back and finish me off".

Episode II

Mace Windu and Jango Fett duking it out in the arena while the droids are firing, the jedi are swinging, and all hell is breaking loose.  Fett uses Two-Weapon Fighting with his pistols against Windu, and rolls a despair.  The GM bounces a blaster bolt off of the lightsaber and it grazes the nearby rampaging Reek.  Enraged, it charges Fett.

It makes its combat check, fails, but rolls 3 advantage and a Triumph.  The GM knocks Fett prone, and has the Reek destroy his jet-pack.

The Reek turns to charge again, but Fett gets up, spends some Strain to Aim, and pops the Reek with a Triumph for insta-kill.

Fett goes back to two-weapon fighting again, but can't hit Mace.  That increased difficulty is killing his rolls... Mace closes, engages... and TRIUMPHS with a lightsaber crit to remove the Fett-man's helmet, with head still inside.

Boba cries.

I don't know if it's a despair, or just a bad failure, but Hans attempts to bluff the guards over the radio after breaking into the detention block in New Hope.  "Just a little weapons malfunction" ""Reactor leak, very dangerous"

I don't know if it's a despair, or just a bad failure, but Hans attempts to bluff the guards over the radio after breaking into the detention block in New Hope.  "Just a little weapons malfunction" ""Reactor leak, very dangerous"

It's a failure, possibly with threat. I wouldn't put it quite as the level of Despair.

• When Han landed the Falcon at the trash port on the Star Destroyer in Empire, he rolled Triumph to completely lose them, but Threat which meant Boba Fett was able to go after them (and possibly rolled a failed/threat/despair on the Astrogation check to get to Bespin, since Boba Fett and Vader managed to get their quite ahead of them).
  • The A-Wing Pilot who crashed into the Executor's bridge rolled at least one Triumph.

Han rolled a simultaneous Triumph and despair - threat won't do it.

The A-Wing pilot failed - more failures than Successes+Triumphs — on his emergency repairs,  but still used his triumph to "bring a major combat advantage" by disabling the star destroyer.

Remember: The amount of failure doesn't matter once it's cancelled all the successes (and the success portion of triumphs). Only threat and despair can make things worse. (tho' there are good reasons to use the margin of failure in economic actions.