Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Flibble

Niles Ferrier's Slightly Used Capital Ship Lot

Just for the heck of it, I've started fiddling around with stats for some of the capital ships from WEG's old Imperial Sourcebook, and I thought it would be worth collecting some opinions. My first effort is the Lancer-class frigate (a semiexperimental anti-starfighter screening ship developed after the Battle of Yavin, according to WEG). I'm pretty happy with how this came together, but if anyone has any thoughts about hull trauma and system strain thresholds in particular, I'm not too proud to admit that I made these up completely on the fly with reference to the Marauder corvette and Nebulon-B stats in the core book.

WEG's description notes that the Lancer's targeting systems are very finicky and that more than half the quads may not be fully operational on any given day. I think that the EOTE narrative dice system can be used pretty effectively to represent this design flaw, which neither the WEG nor the Saga Edition stats really took into account mechanically.

CCGLancer.jpg

LANCER-CLASS FRIGATE

Silhouette: 6.

Speed: 2.

Handling: -1.

Def Fore/Port/Starboard/Aft: 2/2/2/2.

Armor: 6.

HT Threshold: 68.

SS Threshold: 35.

Hull Type/Class: Frigate/Lancer.

Manufacturer: Kuat Drive Yards.

Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2, Backup: Class 15.

Navicomputer: Yes.

Sensor Range: Long.

Ship’s Complement: 850 officers, gunners, and enlisted crew.

Passenger Capacity: 40 troops.

Encumbrance Capacity: 480.

Consumables: 1 week.

Cost/Rarity: 4,760,000 credits [R]/8.

Customization Hard Points: 2.

WEAPONS

5 Forward, 5 Port, 5 Starboard, and 5 Aft Firing Quad Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward, Port, Starboard, or Aft, Range [Close], Damage 5, Critical 3, Accurate, Linked 3).

Edited by Mr. Flibble

I'm trying to stick with capital ships of Silhouette 5 or 6 for now, both because they are presumably more numerous and EOTE characters are more likely to have to deal with (read: evade) them, and because there are at least a few models in the core book for smaller capital ships. My next entry is the Carrack-class light cruiser, an oldie but a goodie. The Imperial Sourcebook describes it as an older ship often used for naval system patrol, so PCs stand a decent chance of running afoul of one of these. They're highly reinforced and compartmentalized and have a reputation for crew survivability, which I've reflected in high hull trauma and system strain thresholds, and those heavy turbolasers pack a mean punch for a ship this size even if they are slow-firing. The Imperial Sourcebook notes that Carracks carry four TIE/rc fighters on external racks, but a small handful of recon TIEs probably don't provide a huge threat for PC ships. Neither the sourcebook nor Wookieepedia list a price for these, so I've arbitrarily set it somewhat higher than a Nebulon-B to reflect the reinforced bulkheads and internal compartmentalization as well as the slightly larger size of the Carrack.

Carrack_cruiser.jpg

Silhouette: 6.

Speed: 4.

Handling: 0.

Def Fore/Port/Starboard/Aft: 2/2/2/2.

Armor: 7.

HT Threshold: 80.

SS Threshold: 50.

Hull Type/Class: Light Cruiser/Carrack.

Manufacturer: Damorlan Manufacturing.

Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 1, Backup: Class 12.

Ship’s Complement: 1,092 officers, gunners, and enlisted crew.

Passenger Capacity: 142 troops.

Encumbrance Capacity: 5,600.

Consumables: 1 year.

Cost/Rarity: 8,720,000 credits [R]/7.

Customization Hard Points: 1.

WEAPONS

Two Forward, Three Port, Three Starboard, and Two Aft Mounted Heavy Turbolasers (Fire Arc Forward, Port, Starboard, or Aft, Range [Long], Damage 11, Critical 3, Breach 4, Slow-Firing 2).

Five Forward, Five Port, Five Starboard, and Five Aft Mounted Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward, Port, Starboard, or Aft, Range [Close], Damage 5, Critical 3).

One Front, Two Port, and Two Starboard Light Tractor Beam Projectors (Fire Arc Forward, Port, Starboard, or Aft, Range [Close], Damage -, Critical -, Tractor 2).

Edited by Mr. Flibble

I love the picture for the Lancer.  Nice stats.   :)

I'm getting the pictures from Wookieepedia, and there are a couple of nice ones of the Lancer there. I'm glad the stats work for you--just let me know if you think I'm doing something wrong.

Here's some stats for the Strike-class medium cruiser. I figure this ship to be Silhouette 7, and that's about as large as I'm going to go--if I get too much bigger than the ships in the core book, I really am entering unknown territory on Defense, Hull Trauma, and System Stress. Besides, even this brute should be a sign to player characters that they've overstayed their welcome in a system, and I don't think that providing an assortment of Imperial ships really requires me to get into something like a Star Destroyer that should be a cue to start calculating a lightspeed jump rather than to stay and find out what kind of damage sixty turbolasers can inflict. Note that a Strike cruiser is supposed to carry a squadron of TIEs and a light ground assault's worth of surface vehicles.

The descriptions of the Strike cruiser in the Imperial Sourcebook and on Wookieepedia note that the high modularity of its systems leads to a design flaw--it's possible to knock out entire groups of weapons, or possibly even break up the whole ship, with well-placed shots. The WEG and Saga Edition rules don't address this mechanically, but in EOTE it can be handled by rolling several dice worth of Triumph.

Neither WEG nor Wookieepedia lists a price for these things, and I'm away from home without access to my Saga Edition books, so I don't know if they list one or not. I've followed the Imperial Sourcebook and just listed this as "Not available for sale" for the time being.

StrikeCruiser-SWR.png

Silhouette: 7.

Speed: 3.

Def Fore/Port/Starboard/Aft: 3/3/3/3.

Armor: 7.

HT Threshold: 90.

SS Threshold: 50.

Hull Type/Class: Medium Cruiser/Strike-class.

Manufacturer: Loronar Corporation.

Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2, Backup: Class 12.

Ship’s Complement: 2,112 officers, gunners, pilots, and enlisted crew.

Passenger Capacity: 340 troops.

Encumbrance Capacity: 9,600.

Consumables: 1.5 years.

Cost/Rarity: Not available for sale.

Customization Hard Points: 3.

WEAPONS

Four Forward, Three Port, and Three Starboard Heavy Turbolasers (Fire Arc Forward, Port, or Starboard, Range [Long], Damage 11, Critical 3, Breach 4, Slow-Firing 2).

Five Forward, Five Port, Five Starboard, and Five Aft Medium Turbolasers (Fire Arc Forward, Port, Starboard, or Aft, Range [Long], Damage 10, Critical 3, Breach 3, Slow-Firing 1).

Four Forward, Three Port, and Three Starboard Medium Ion Cannons (Fire Arc Forward, Port, or Starboard, Range [Close], Damage 6, Critical 3, Ion).

Two Forward, Three Port, Three Starboard, and Three Aft Medium Tractor Beam Projectors (Fire Arc Forward, Port, Starboard, or Aft, Range [short], Damage -, Critical -, Tractor 4).

Edited by Mr. Flibble

Today's entry should be useful for EOTE GMs: the Imperial Customs Corvette. This one is pretty straightforward, as it is similar in size to the Corellian Corvette, Corellian Gunship, and Marauder Corvette from the core book. I leaned light where there was any doubt about what value to assign a stat, since the ICC really isn't meant for heavy combat. There is some discrepancy between sources on the ICC's weapons; WEG and Wookieepedia give it six double turbolasers, while the Saga Edition Starships of the Galaxy sourcebook changes these to laser cannons. I decided that turbolasers might be a little overpowered for the ICC's purpose, so I've gone with double heavy laser cannons. On the black market, these ships go for what the market will bear when they are available, and there is no above-board list price that PCs can pay since Rendili StarDrive supplies ICCs to the Imperial Customs Office through an exclusive contract, so like every other source I list these as "not available for sale."

Wookieepedia and Starships of the Galaxy claim that the twenty troops assigned to an ICC are stormtroopers. I think this sounds fairly ridiculous for a customs ship and that Imperial Navy troopers (the closest thing I can see to "marines") are a more likely troop type. Your mileage, as always, may vary.

Imperial_customs_Corvette_SotG.jpg

Silhouette: 5.

Speed: 4.

Def Fore/Port/Starboard/Aft: 2/1/1/1.

Armor: 5.

HT Threshold: 50.

SS Threshold: 30.

Hull Type/Class: Corvette/Light Corvette.

Manufacturer: Rendili StarDrive.

Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2, Backup: Class 8.

Sensor Range: Medium.

Ship’s Complement: 58 officers, gunners, and enlisted crew.

Passenger Capacity: 20 troops.

Encumbrance Capacity: 800.

Consumables: 2 months.

Cost/Rarity: Not available for sale.

Customization Hard Points: 1.

WEAPONS

Six Turret Mounted Double Heavy Laser Cannons (Fire Arc All, Range [short], Damage 6, Critical 3, Linked 1).

Edited by Mr. Flibble

I notice that both the Carrack and the Customs Corvette are Speed 4. That seems really fast for such large vessels. In Star Wars large almost always equals slow and ponderous.

I usually derive the Speed stat by dividing the Space speed in the WEG stats (which generally followed a 1-12 scale, quickly translatable into the 1-6 scale suggested by the ships in the EOTE core book) by 2. These ships are actually meant to have speed (but not maneuvering) capabilities on par with some starfighters--or in the Customs Corvette's case, with many of the souped-up freighters flown by the smugglers the ship is intended to stop. The Corellian Gunship, supposedly a dedicated anti-starfighter vessel, also has Speed 4 in the EOTE stats, and for much the same reason.