Sign in to follow this  
Hida77

Battle of Hoth - Speeder Set - Glimmer of Hope on Main Page

I'm really looking forward to this pack for Rebel Alliance.  I've been trying to find a synergy to build an RA deck around and haven't found one I am happy with.  A speeder deck, built around winning edge battles and quick deployment of speeders sounds amazing.

For me, the edge-dependency of Rouge Two's potential blast icon(s) is what kills that unit, and likely that entire set for me. I wish that it could have been a 3-cost unit with potential to add black blast damage icons. 

If you are making a speeder deck, hopefully you get Hoth Operations out and you can overwhelm them with edge.

For me, the edge-dependency of Rouge Two's potential blast icon(s) is what kills that unit, and likely that entire set for me. I wish that it could have been a 3-cost unit with potential to add black blast damage icons. 

If you are making a speeder deck, hopefully you get Hoth Operations out and you can overwhelm them with edge.

That was my thought too. With Hoth Ops out, the Speeders should get lots of Edge.

My immediate thought went to this build, though 'builds-in-theory' don't always pan out. I'm excited by the prospect, though.

Hoth Ops x2

Prep for Battle x2

Attack Pattern Delta x2

Prep for Evac x2

Rebel Fleet x2

I'm going to be trying out. I'm going to proxy up this set now that we have seen it in full so I can try it out.

Hoth Ops x2

Prep for battle x2

Attack Pattern Delta x2

Prep for Battle x2

and then maybe Sleuth Scouts x1 and Frozen Refuge or Defense of yavin 4 x2 or even Sleuth Scouts x2

Depending on what is in Hold the Line that could really change things along with Coordinate Strike.

At this point I'm raving for Luke's X-34 landspeeder to become a card. Probably that won't happen until a "Tatooine" or "Outer Rim" cycle comes out, though.

I can't imagine any meaningful stats they could assign to it.  I don't think Luke's going to perform vehicular manslaughter on a crowd of stormtroopers having lunch on an outdoor patio.  Maybe a remove a focus token from a character unit like Jabba's barge.

Luke's T-16 Skyhopper could count as a speeder and be used in meaningful combat though.  Hmm.

Edited by Sephirex

I can't imagine any meaningful stats they could assign to it.  I don't think Luke's going to perform vehicular manslaughter on a crowd of stormtroopers having lunch on an outdoor patio.  

I can see it now...

Luke and Biggs head into town to have a few drinks over the lunch hour. They get talking about the Academy and the perils of becoming a star pilot. At a distance, they see some stormtroopers causing trouble with a well-meaning and innocent local family. Suddenly, Luke fills with rage and heads toward the stormtroopers at full speed. Luke's alcohol-induced fury stifles his driving skills, and he careens into the group of stormtroopers, leaving behind a mess of limbs, gore, and shattered white metal as Biggs looks on, clutching his seatbelt in horror, slack-jawed and wide-eyed in dismay and disbelief as Luke speeds away with flesh, hair, and teeth in the grill of the land speeder.

After the two lay low for a bit, they make a plan for Biggs to smuggle Luke aboard his Imperial ship on his return to the fleet, posing with some hacked identification as a recent recruit. Obi-Wan is later cut down in a hail of laser blasts, having never spoken with Luke, other than once in the past, an encounter cut short by Uncle Owen's berating of the nomadic Jedi as he ushered him off of the property.

Now a known felon on Tatooine for his alcohol induced burst of homicide, Luke decides never to return. Rather, he takes to his newfound role as an Imperial pilot. It is not long before his skills are discovered by various commanders, who bring him to the attention of Lord Vader. Vader trains him and tutors him over the years, until a fateful day when the two of them dispatch with Darth Sidious, leaving the dyad in control of the Galactic Empire.  

Edited by divinityofnumber

This is just me, but my interpretation has always been that Vader never actually believed he could overthrow the Emperor, even with his son's help. He makes the offer to Luke in order to play into Luke's hatred of Palpatine, as well as his emotional tumult over just having been told of his heritage. Remember: the Emperor's first inclination is to destroy Luke, but having realized that the latter is his son, Vader counters with the proposal that they instead turn Luke to the dark side. Vader knows that Palpatine has grown weary of him, has been disappointed with him ever since his defeat at the hands of Obi-Wan, and is seeking a new apprentice to replace him. In Vader's twisted worldview, he wishes to "save" his son from death by bringing him before the Emperor, but since he will not go willingly, he must instead tempt Luke with the possibility of defeating Palpatine.

Edited by MarthWMaster

This is just me, but my interpretation has always been that Vader never actually believed he could overthrow the Emperor, 

Turns out all he needed to believe was that he could throw him over a railing.

Vader literally overthrew the Emperor. lolz.

He must have a Bowflex inside of his rejuvenation chamber; Vader shoulder presses like a boss.   :lol:

The emperor must have weighed, what, a whole 95 pounds?

His whole life was building towards that moment where he could push Grandpa down the stairs.

Edited by Sephirex

Honestly, with the number of walkways and gang-planks the DS had over huge, unexplained gaps in its floors, I can't believe Vader didn't just accidentally bump the Emperor off of one the first time they gave him a tour.

Those Imperial OSHA inspectors must really suck at their jobs. No way the Death Star should have passed an inspection. Needs moar guardrails.

Honestly, with the number of walkways and gang-planks the DS had over huge, unexplained gaps in its floors, I can't believe Vader didn't just accidentally bump the Emperor off of one the first time they gave him a tour.

Those Imperial OSHA inspectors must really suck at their jobs. No way the Death Star should have passed an inspection. Needs moar guardrails.

lolz. Yes.

How about the setting for the end battle of Episode I? No guardrails anywhere.

Well, if you ignore the huge death plummet off those various platforms who can you blame but yourself if you fall off from being a bit too curious what the view looks like. No need for guardrails when simple common sense should keep you safe.

That 6 foot drop from the balcony thing in the room where they find Senator Palpatine at the beginning of the first fiolm? That just doesn't look risky enough to keep people away from it, so of course it needs a guard rail. Someone might trip over and bang their head on the floor below.