Sign in to follow this  
azato

A FREE SHIP?!?

And that's when you reveal that you're really playing Traveller and kill their next characters during character generation!

I am the admin of the COTI boards... 

Subtract the Force and switch to Traveller's Jump Mechanics, and EOTE will feel a tremendously lot like Traveller... 

Oh, and Death in CGen hasn't been the actual rule in Traveller since 1987's MegaTraveller release. Even then since the 1981 printing, the option for short term has been present, and many Traveller GM's used it.

My plan is to start the players out on a new ship. The introduction is that they are merchants, traders, or passengers on a ship with an eccentric captain, they will run into a blockade. The captain will fire on the blockade, and the blockade will fire back. That's where I will start the game.

The captain will die in the battle, and we'll see where it goes. That way the party won't technically own the ship. They'll have to try to escape, deal, or fight for their lives in a conflict that they were innocent in creating. The ship will take the damage the dice deem worthy.

I am the admin of the COTI boards... 

Subtract the Force and switch to Traveller's Jump Mechanics, and EOTE will feel a tremendously lot like Traveller... 

Oh, and Death in CGen hasn't been the actual rule in Traveller since 1987's MegaTraveller release. Even then since the 1981 printing, the option for short term has been present, and many Traveller GM's used it.

I know...I have the PDFs for a couple of editions of Traveller, though I haven't actually played it much. I just found it hard to resist the joke.

I run a game for my kids, and the basic setup we're using is not unlike the game "Bulldogs!".

The PCs are basically indentured to a Bulk Transport company operating in the Outer Rim. The ship is assigned by the company, and the players have regular jobs sent by the company, with lots of adventure hooks almost built-in.

Obligation is handled, PC-group motivation is handled, lots of excuses for interactions all over the galaxy and a perfect justification for a "free ship!"

In the Stars Wars universe, ships are to players as horses are to cowboys.  Starting out with a ship (or getting one very early in the campaign) isn't going to introduce power creep unless you let it.  In fact, the longer the players have owned a particular ship, the worse it is for them when that ship is in true peril (or, worse yet, it gets stolen!).  I see the ship as another member of the party.

It also gives the players a lot more access to the whole galaxy, which is what most people want to be experiencing.  If the movies were completely set on one planet until the final movie, it would be quite boring.

Another thing you could do is imply that getting another ship would be difficult and expensive, so that will ensure they will want to take care of their starter ship as best as they can.

I've found (introducing a ship early on in Saga Edition) that having a ship the players can come back to really makes the gaming experience more fun for all involved.  It's nice for them to know they have a safe haven to retreat to and tend to their wounds, and even have some down time.  (Which, as the book suggests, if you attack them where they feel safe it really gives them something to fight for and makes them feel that more threatened)