Sign in to follow this  
peterstepon

Core book PDF

Case precedent in the court states knowingly looking something up illegal or not, is *not* illegal.

What case in what court? Because the case you cited before pretty much says that under the statute in question that knowingly looking at something illegal is illegal. One court in one jurisdiction might rule one way and another court in another jurisdiction might rule the other way, and unless one of those courts is in your jurisdiction and of higher authority than your court you can't really tell in advance which rule applies to you.

Case precedent in the court states knowingly looking something up illegal or not, is *not* illegal.

What case in what court? Because the case you cited before pretty much says that under the statute in question that knowingly looking at something illegal is illegal. One court in one jurisdiction might rule one way and another court in another jurisdiction might rule the other way, and unless one of those courts is in your jurisdiction and of higher authority than your court you can't really tell in advance which rule applies to you.

Ahhh, but I do know how the court rules in my jurisdiction, and looking at illegal things online is not illegal. Again, as an IT Executive I have attended a few legal lectures specifically regarding IP rights and web/internet legalities due to the reuse of our own IP materials through hot linking as well as site crawling, hosted material that might be questionably legal by users, etc.

Okay one disclaimer, I did not read all of the posts before making this.

I bought 2 core books. Wondering since they are my books, I paid for them, & have the receipts, does that mean I can do what I want with them? I would love to turn one into a pdf for MY USE ONLY. Am I allowed to do that? If so how do I go about doing it, I have never done something like this before and I would definitely need guidance. Any help is appreciated.

I bought 2 core books. Wondering since they are my books, I paid for them, & have the receipts, does that mean I can do what I want with them? I would love to turn one into a pdf for MY USE ONLY. Am I allowed to do that? If so how do I go about doing it, I have never done something like this before and I would definitely need guidance. Any help is appreciated.

So long as that PDF you created doesn't find its way to the internet or to any computer other than your own, then you're free and clear, since it's for your personal use.  Giving a copy to your friends breaks that "personal use" clause, but it's very much like trading VHS tapes back in the day or recording a show off cable for a friend.  Technically illegal, but debatable as to whether the law dogs are gonna bust down your door for doing so for simply giving a copy to a friend.

Of course, if that friend gives a copy to their friend and so forth, it could get ugly, but it's also a matter of the IP owner feeling it's worth their time and effort to go after you.

So long as that PDF you created doesn't find its way to the internet or to any computer other than your own, then you're free and clear, since it's for your personal use.  Giving a copy to your friends breaks that "personal use" clause, but it's very much like trading VHS tapes back in the day or recording a show off cable for a friend.  Technically illegal, but debatable as to whether the law dogs are gonna bust down your door for doing so for simply giving a copy to a friend.

Of course, if that friend gives a copy to their friend and so forth, it could get ugly, but it's also a matter of the IP owner feeling it's worth their time and effort to go after you.

Actually, it depends on what country you're in - in some countries, format shifting is still illegal.