Sign in to follow this  
HappyDaze

That's just what I need... I'll take two! (Starship Modifications)

Page 194 gives us permission to use our common sense. ;). Looking down the list, the only one I could see applying more than once would be the weapons upgrade. However, I can find no mention of, say, adding additional stations -- like a gunner station to a ship that has none: my guess would be 1 hard point and some nominal fee.

Looking at the High-Output Ion Turbine, why couldn't you add more than one? If I can install one 'booster' to my ship, why not two or even three?

Why stop at three? Why not six?

At some point, you just turn into a Rancor.

No one can say exactly when this happened -- it was gradual. One day, after enough "why can't I?"s and self-modifications, you realized you had the exact same stats as a Rancor. Fortunately, no one at the table was upset by this, and thus the game did not explode.

Reading the starship rules, Speed tops out at 6. While a YT-1300 could mount six High-Output Ion Turbines - per its hard points - any installed past the third wouldn't make it any faster. Edited by HappyDaze

Page 194 gives us permission to use our common sense. ;). Looking down the list, the only one I could see applying more than once would be the weapons upgrade. However, I can find no mention of, say, adding additional stations -- like a gunner station to a ship that has none: my guess would be 1 hard point and some nominal fee.

Looking at the High-Output Ion Turbine, why couldn't you add more than one? If I can install one 'booster' to my ship, why not two or even three?

No one can say exactly when this happened -- it was gradual. One day, after enough "why can't I?"s and self-modifications, you realized you had the exact same stats as a Rancor. Fortunately, no one at the table was upset by this, and thus the game did not explode.

Reading the starship rules, Speed tops out at 6. While a YT-1300 could mount six High-Output Ion Turbines - per its hard points - any installed past the third wouldn't make it any faster.

Three spares.

Reading the starship rules, Speed tops out at 6. While a YT-1300 could mount six High-Output Ion Turbines - per its hard points - any installed past the third wouldn't make it any faster.

Three spares.

Well, if the owner wants to spend half of his hard points and 15,900 credits just to have three spares and another -3 SS Threshold, I hardly see that as being overpowered.

And that doesn't fit Star Wars? Crazy amounts of modifications doesn't seem to go against the source materials (including the old WEG Tramp Freighters stuff) that I've seen. Just because two or three added Ion Turbines leaves your SS Threshold in the gutter doesn't mean that someone that wants Pure Speed isn't willing to try it.

There is a long tradition of building ships good at nothing but going in a straight line. There's also a beautiful tradition of those ships breaking (which is nicely covered by the lowered strain threshold). If I were GM and my players really wanted to spend a ton of money on ridiculous turbines... I'd probably let the... but I might actually drop their handling while using that speed.

Well, if the owner wants to spend half of his hard points and 15,900 credits just to have three spares and another -3 SS Threshold, I hardly see that as being overpowered.

...so...have you answered your own question sufficiently?

But I'm gonna go out and say that you probably can't buy two serrated edges for your vibroknive, and three monomolecular edges on your vibrosword :P.

While it might seem silly, many blades are double-edged...

Would you really give someone a weapon that was double-edged, and then make them buy two of them in order for it to count?

And someone brought up a good point in the whole "You can't swing with both sides" thing.  XD

Edited by Endrik Tenebris

But I'm gonna go out and say that you probably can't buy two serrated edges for your vibroknive, and three monomolecular edges on your vibrosword :P.

While it might seem silly, many blades are double-edged...

Would you really give someone a weapon that was double-edged, and then make them buy two of them in order for it to count?

And someone brought up a good point in the whole "You can't swing with both sides" thing.  XD

No, you woundn't have to buy two serrated edge attachments to get +1 Viscious on a double-edged weapon. However, having two serrated edge attachments on a weapon intended primarily for thrusting (vibroknives and some vibroswords would be OK, vibro-axes don't really appear built for this) could give +2 Viscious as a thrust most certainly can be a 'swing with both sides'..

I'm not sure... Am I a Rancor? :P

For my PC's I made the attachments binary, you either have one or you don't.  I'm also pretty stringent on "slots" for mods:

One of my players wanted to put a targeting scope and the enhanced optics suite on his light repeater, given the description of the optics (goggles attached to a camera) I vetoed it.  they gave me some standard arguements about how it's future tech and we can do that now.

My response was we also have laser guided HEAP shotgun slugs, which I'm also not allowing.  Then I pointed out that he could get the scope, and a set of electro goggles for alot less, which he was happy with.

I'm generally a one or the other type of GM: one handle, one blade, one barrel, one scope, and no a harness and a sling on the same gun do not reduce it's cumbersome from 5 to 2.  besides, there's a mod for that on the harness.  I makes the attachments more unique and individual, and forces some decisions on the PC's part.

Not sure...let me...put this bone in your mouth for the moment while I think about it...on the other side of that door... 

Not sure...let me...put this bone in your mouth for the moment while I think about it...on the other side of that door... 

There's a bit of innuendo in there that coulb be rather disturbing...from a certain point of view. :D

Since the attatchments are supose to be quick and easy to instal, and all the mods that require mechanics check to add, are on the attachment itself, I could see using a few different attachments and swaping them out. If you've got a blaster rifle, why not say you have both a spread barrel and a marksman barrel, and then choose what weapon setup you want to gear up with, like in movies when an assassin assembles his rifle from parts in a briefcase. However, I wouldn't allow a swap durring combat, unless the pc were able to get out of the fight for a couple rounds. Maybe you could say it has a quick release mounts, which reduce the weapon's hard points by 1.