Sign in to follow this  
HappyDaze

That's just what I need... I'll take two! (Starship Modifications)

Other than the number of Customization Hard Points available on a given starship, is there any limit to how many times a given Attachment can be added? Is the limit imposed by the Customization Hard Points enough on its own to prevent abuse?

I know that I can add Upgraded Weapons multiple times (subject to CHPs), but can I install multiples of Enhanced Carbon-Durasteel Armor (increasing Armor and decreasing Maneuverability with each installation)? How about the High-Output Ion Turbine (inceasing Speed and decreasing SS Threshold with each installation)? These two don't seem too bad since there is a downside attached with each installation, but what about things that don't have a downside, like the Advanced Targeting Array?

If multiples of a given attachment are allowed, what's the worse case scenario as far as abuse goes? Allowing EC-DA multple times still can bring any of the light freighters given above aan Armor 6 - hardened, but still easily damaged by most starship weapons. I think the H-OIT might need to be limited to a maximum of Speed 6, but that would still take 2-3 CHPs and 10,600-15,900 credits to achieve.

I don't know where it is located exactly, but the book mentions that the allowance of certain attachments is completely up to the GM's judgements.  Like, you probably couldn't have an underslung grenade launcher AND an underslung flamethrower.  You couldn't have a filed front sight and an optics scope.  You couldn't have a shortened barrel and a sniper barrel at the same time.  You couldn't have improved ablative plating on your star ship and then add more ablative plating.

In most cases, just close your eyes and picture how you would do that.  If it seems pretty impossible, then don't allow it.  If it sounds reasonable and totally doable, then go for it!

Mods are what you use to make attachments better, not repeated applications of the same enhancement.  While I do not see anything explicitly forbidding multiple copies of an attachment, I believe the Mod system makes the intent clear.  (e.g.: Advanced Targeting Array upgrades Gunnery by 1, one of the allowable Mods is another upgrade, but no more. Circumventing this by adding an additional enhancement is an act of munchkinism that warrants a slap with a soggy pool noodle.)

Mods are what you use to make attachments better, not repeated applications of the same enhancement.  While I do not see anything explicitly forbidding multiple copies of an attachment, I believe the Mod system makes the intent clear.  (e.g.: Advanced Targeting Array upgrades Gunnery by 1, one of the allowable Mods is another upgrade, but no more. Circumventing this by adding an additional enhancement is an act of munchkinism that warrants a slap with a soggy pool noodle.)

Some Attachments do not allow Customizations. However, it may be reasonable to put more than one additional layer of armor and/or more ion engines on a vessel just as it's obviously possible to add more weapons.

Some Attachments do not allow Customizations. However, it may be reasonable to put more than one additional layer of armor and/or more ion engines on a vessel just as it's obviously possible to add more weapons.

As an engineer, I'm dis-inclined to take the view that one can just add more armor and engines until you run out of hardpoints: there are problems like scaling and diminishing returns. Game-wise, there are balance issues when certain numbers get too big. I think you have to approach this on a case-by-case basis with the strictest of scrutinies.

Of course there is always the fun to be had when the Imperial Port Inspector starts asking questions about why a simple tramp freighter has so much armour and three advanced targeting arrays if all it hauls is bulk grain shipments....

But I'm gonna go out and say that you probably can't buy two serrated edges for your vibroknive, and three monomolecular edges on your vibrosword :P.

While it might seem silly, many blades are double-edged...

Which doesn't make it any less silly.  You aren't going to cut someone with both edges at once, so you wouldn't get double the bonus.  

Of course there is always the fun to be had when the Imperial Port Inspector starts asking questions about why a simple tramp freighter has so much armour and three advanced targeting arrays if all it hauls is bulk grain shipments....

Hey, Bert the Hutt really doesn't like missing his daily bowl of nutritious, delicious oatmeal.

Repeat after me - 'The role of the Empire is not solely to prevent PCs from having any fun'.

Repeat after me - 'The role of the Empire is not solely to prevent PCs from having any fun'.

They're also there to provide targets for the PCs to have fun shooting.

But I'm gonna go out and say that you probably can't buy two serrated edges for your vibroknive, and three monomolecular edges on your vibrosword :P.

Which doesn't make it any less silly.  You aren't going to cut someone with both edges at once, so you wouldn't get double the bonus. 

Stab and wiggle.

Stab and wiggle.

This is a triumph(or advantage)

We're making a crit here

huge success

This is a triumph(or advantage)

We're making a crit here

huge success 

"Here are the results of your skill roll:  you are a horrible person.  It say that right here in the dice. We weren't even rolling for that."

Hey, Bert the Hutt really doesn't like missing his daily bowl of nutritious, delicious oatmeal.

Keeps him regular... careful where you step...

As an engineer, I'm dis-inclined to take the view that one can just add more armor and engines until you run out of hardpoints: there are problems like scaling and diminishing returns. Game-wise, there are balance issues when certain numbers get too big. I think you have to approach this on a case-by-case basis with the strictest of scrutinies.

I'm inclined to agree, just based upon the general RPG principle of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

There's also the matter of how abusive the ability to add the same attachment multiple times to the same weapon/armor/ship would be, particularly as there's a built-in restriction on how many times you can modify an attachment (keep going until you fail a Mechanics check), so being able to add the same attachment to a weapon/armor/ship that already has a version of that attachment reeks of stinky munchkin cheese, particularly for things like Superior Armor/Weapon Customization, Balanced Hilt, Under-Barrel weapons, Weapon Sling/Harness, Enhanced Optics Suite, and Vacuum Sealed, just to nave some of the instances were stacking the attachments would be... problematic.

Page 194 gives us permission to use our common sense.  ;).  Looking down the list, the only one I could see applying more than once would be the weapons upgrade.  However, I can find no mention of, say, adding additional stations -- like a gunner station to a ship that has none: my guess would be 1 hard point and some nominal fee.

Page 194 gives us permission to use our common sense.  ;).  Looking down the list, the only one I could see applying more than once would be the weapons upgrade.  However, I can find no mention of, say, adding additional stations -- like a gunner station to a ship that has none: my guess would be 1 hard point and some nominal fee.

Looking at the High-Output Ion Turbine, why couldn't you add more than one? If I can install one 'booster' to my ship, why not two or even three?

Looking at the High-Output Ion Turbine, why couldn't you add more than one? If I can install one 'booster' to my ship, why not two or even three?

Because then you're that tool who tries to put a rocket in their sedan and get something that nearly explodes because all they'd done is add power the machine can't possibly handle. And then you go down suburban streets at 3 am and nearly wreck.

Sorry, suburban... asteroid belts.

Because then you're that tool who tries to put a rocket in their sedan and get something that nearly explodes because all they'd done is add power the machine can't possibly handle. And then you go down suburban streets at 3 am and nearly wreck.

Sorry, suburban... asteroid belts.

And that doesn't fit Star Wars? Crazy amounts of modifications doesn't seem to go against the source materials (including the old WEG Tramp Freighters stuff) that I've seen. Just because two or three added Ion Turbines leaves your SS Threshold in the gutter doesn't mean that someone that wants Pure Speed isn't willing to try it.

Oh, let him have three High-Output Ion Turbines. He'll go like stink! Won't be able to maneuver or likely even stop, but boy will that ship move. Until it hits some big, immovable object, like Bert the Hutt's grain shipment. Or Bert the Hutt himself. ;)

Why stop at three?  Why not six?

At some point, you just turn into a Rancor.

No one can say exactly when this happened -- it was gradual. One day, after enough "why can't I?"s and self-modifications, you realized you had the exact same stats as a Rancor.  Fortunately, no one at the table was upset by this, and thus the game did not explode.