Sign in to follow this  
Rossbert

Starting Stats - Informal Poll

Since the system has a huge range of options all using the same resource pool there are many ways to build a character, this leads to a question.

What stats (characteristics) are most people taking starting out?

It varies wildly depending on the player.

In an upcoming Skype game, two players purchased a 4 in one characteristic (neither of which had a starting value of 3 in that Characteristic), and have at least a 3 in two other Characteristics.  I'm the odd man out at the moment, as i only bought two Characteristics to 3, but my character is also Force-Sensitive and so I needed the XP to purchase a third Characteristic up to 3 in order to by my Force-Sensitive spec and a Force Power.

For the various Heroes on Demand entries that I've written, I tend to go for three Characteristics at 3, and then spend the remaining XP on talents and picking any skills that are necessary for the concept, as I build these potential playable characters with the idea that I want them each to have some fun options outside of their skill checks.  Sometimes I'll bump a score up to 4, particularly if the species starts with a 3 in that Characteristic, but those are exceptions and even then only done if it truly fits with the character concept that I'm working with.

That's what I was curious about, how many people blow all their points on characteristics and how many save the points for skills and talents.

By my math having a 4 and a 3 use all 100 points you have to start (possibly only 70 if one of those started at 3). Making a max starting stat block of 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1.

Does the rest of your group not like talent or skills?

Did I miss something?

My group falls into the "skills and talents can be purchased later while characteristics can't, so for now I buy characteristics" set. After a single session, they can have 10-20xp and buy the skills and talents they skipped to get another characteristic point. They couldn't have done the opposite.

That's what I was curious about, how many people blow all their points on characteristics and how many save the points for skills and talents.

By my math having a 4 and a 3 use all 100 points you have to start (possibly only 70 if one of those started at 3). Making a max starting stat block of 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1.

Does the rest of your group not like talent or skills?

Did I miss something?

Creation is the only time to grab those characteristics outside of heavy dedication. A bump to a single characteristic can effect multiple skills as well, so it kind of makes sense that folks are focusing heavily on basic building blocks and forgoing skills and talents that can be purchased with xp later down the road. There's also the opportunity to grab some more obligation if you need a few more things during character creation as well.

My group falls into the "skills and talents can be purchased later while characteristics can't, so for now I buy characteristics" set. After a single session, they can have 10-20xp and buy the skills and talents they skipped to get another characteristic point. They couldn't have done the opposite.

That's what I thought the motivation might be, which is actually what lead to the creation of this thread.  Just getting a feel for how many people are inclined to dump all their points into the things that can't be improved and how many spread it out into more career stuff.

On a personal note I'm looking at a low characteristic spread because, much like Donovan, I'm trying to grab an initial Force Sensitive Exile.

Also, weirdly enough, I'm not finding a career/specialization combination I like. It looks like I need a combination like Smuggler/Mechanic.

I favor pumping attributes. The initial skill allotments, and any remaining exp after I have maxed stats is sufficient for a starting character. My human thief and soon to be pilot got a 4 agility and 3 cunning. Actually taking the pilot specialization can wait.

I favor pumping attributes. The initial skill allotments, and any remaining exp after I have maxed stats is sufficient for a starting character. My human thief and soon to be pilot got a 4 agility and 3 cunning. Actually taking the pilot specialization can wait.

It almost seems as though CharGen was designed to encourage this, esp. with all of the free skills up front and the fact that starting skills are capped at 2 anyway.

Encouraging this style of initial point-buy could also help new players feel less intimidated in creating a character, it would let them learn what they like doing before dumping a bunch of points into talents they might not totally understand yet.

my players, upon hearing that raising attributes in play was at least 5 sessions away with awesome play and no skill gains, and then only 1 point, all opted to spend almost all their points on starting stats.

One of the wookies went for Brawn 5, rest default; the other went for Brawn 3, Int 3, Wil 3, and feats. 

Most everyone put a 4 into their key attribute for their role. 

When we first got the beta and rolled up characters it was a bit of a mixed bag, some players upped characteristics but others bought a nice load of skills and talents. However after finishing the first adventure I allowed them to rebuild their characters and they all then chose to start with higher characteristics as in the long run this means they will have the opportunity to have dice pools with more Yellow dice in the mix.