Sign in to follow this  
BaronIveagh

Noise

I've generally seen the boltgun being described as notably loud, so it should be in the high end of that list. I don't know about throwing knives, but the autogun sounds pretty spot on imho. I used to live about 10km from a military training facility, and on a quiet day you could definitely hear when they held exercises.

I think it's important to note that these ranges are the maximum they can be heard, without intervening structures or background noise. You can definitely hear someone fire an autogun 10km away, but you'd probably have no idea about distance or direction.

But honestly, I find it really abstract. I have no idea how accurate or inaccurate these distances are. I do appreciate actually having a list for it though, that's actually quite helpful.

One thing that's worth saying, the way Silent interacts with these is just a bit ****. It should be a straight penalty to the Perception roll to hear the weapon.

Agreed, the Silent values on the tables right now make no sense to me.  For example, what on earth does it mean when a needle rifle has Silent (5)?  That it can be heard at 5km less than an UNsilenced needle rifle?  :blink:

Agreed, the Silent values on the tables right now make no sense to me.  For example, what on earth does it mean when a needle rifle has Silent (5)?  That it can be heard at 5km less than an UNsilenced needle rifle?  :blink:

Yes, that is precisely what it means ^^ it also means a long las can literally not be heard, ever, at least according to the table listing for a lasgun shot (1km) and the fact that the long las has Silent (3)...