Sign in to follow this  
A Duck1

If you had the choice between the Pacific Theater or the Eastern Front for the next expansion

Which one would you choose? Obviously none of use knows what the next expansion will be about, but if you could pick one of those two, which one would you pick and what would you like to see in it?

I would choose the Eastern Front, since it's a part of the European Theater. The Pacific Theater will have more than one expansion, I believe, since there are a lot of facets to that theater that a single expansion couldn't cover, so might as well try and complete the European theater before moving to other theaters.

Expanded rules for weather and rules for urban fighting would be welcome.

I prefer the eastern front scenario.

We need russian tanks for real panzer combat.

Think we don't need more weather rules then in the normandy expansion, just a few more cards for snow strom and stuff like that.

Snow covered hexes with higer movement costs for infantry and trucks will be fine.

The rivers could be deep frozen (passable for trucks) or not frozen for example.

I really don't care either way - both would be welcome.

I would hope if they release a Pacific version they include both Japanese and ANZAC troops - it's not like a lot of tanks got used in the Pacific Theatre anyway so there shouldn't be a bit of palstic available for troops.

As for campaign expansions (ala Normandy) Stalingrad is an obvious way to go. I'd also like to see Crete. 

MGBM said:

I would choose the Eastern Front, since it's a part of the European Theater.

I would like to see the Eastern Front, too, with operations cards for light snow, deep snow, frozen rivers, frozen engines, frozen anything, and with Russian SMG companies, commissars, urban fighting, Katyushas, armored cars, partizans, self-propelled artillery, selfpropelled AT guns etc.

OK, I also have to admit that my preference is influenced by the fact that I have almost finished painting my Russian minis for ToI, and my Japanese are nowhere near ready. gui%C3%B1o.gif

FFG would be a fool not to observe all the Eastern Front talk on these boards.

I believe dense urban combat (especially since the introduction of rubble and destroying buildings in Normandy) would be a priority to jungle and island hopping at this time. Notice there isn't a large Japanese fan base (yet).

I agree with Klaus, give me all that, plus Russian artillary bombardment. They had lots of arty , not very accurate but they fired enough of it that something was bound to get wiped. It also kept German heads down and movement was not wise.

The Eastern Front should be the next expansion.  A lot of the war was fought there. There are a lot of interesting scenerios that can be played out. Just think T34's, KV1's  against the panthers and jagpanthers. 

KlausFritsch said:

MGBM said:

I would choose the Eastern Front, since it's a part of the European Theater.

I would like to see the Eastern Front, too, with operations cards for light snow, deep snow, frozen rivers, frozen engines, frozen anything, and with Russian SMG companies, commissars, urban fighting, Katyushas, armored cars, partizans, self-propelled artillery, selfpropelled AT guns etc.

OK, I also have to admit that my preference is influenced by the fact that I have almost finished painting my Russian minis for ToI, and my Japanese are nowhere near ready. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Ditto, Eastern Front.babeo.gif

Alright. I'll be the dissenting voice. I'd like the Pacific Theater. Partly because of the upcoming HBO miniseries. Partly because it was the Japanese conflict that brought America into the war. Partly because it'd provide a little more variety (i.e. non-European Theater).

Of course, I think they'll make both - and I'll like both. And if the Eastern Front is first, no one will hear me complain. (In fact, in another thread here there was a discussion with one of the scenario-designers who, though not revealing what's next, frequently mentioned how much EF lit he was reading....)

Belloq said:

Alright. I'll be the dissenting voice. I'd like the Pacific Theater. Partly because of the upcoming HBO miniseries. Partly because it was the Japanese conflict that brought America into the war. Partly because it'd provide a little more variety (i.e. non-European Theater).

Of course, I think they'll make both - and I'll like both. And if the Eastern Front is first, no one will hear me complain. (In fact, in another thread here there was a discussion with one of the scenario-designers who, though not revealing what's next, frequently mentioned how much EF lit he was reading....)

Yeah, that was kinda a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" type deal!gran_risa.gif I'd like to see the Russians next, but like you said, I'm good with what-ever and when-ever they decide to add more to this game. And like you, I'm hoping that we''ll see both down the line.

The campaign scenarios are super cool, and the scenario book is super-out-of-this-world.

I saw a thread on here asking about the scenario editor, and it would be great if they get that going again, seeing as this is a scenario based game and all. M44 has like, 12 trillion I think it is; scenarios as of current, and still adding!gran_risa.gif

Eastern Front for me as well, but I'll bet that they go right to the Pacific. :rant start: The Russians get screwed in every American made WWII game. Not sure why, they sold more blood than all the other Allies combine. I guess its just that Americans havn't gotten over the Cold War yet :rant end: aplauso.gif

Yes Eastern Front for me as well. I think Eastern Front implies cold and snow.  I would love to have wide open Rus/Gem massive tanks battles. Oh and maybe a scenario that involved say a "large factory" with sewer movement?  I think that might hold my interest for a while.

For me, Tide of Iron is all about the interaction between tanks and infantry and how well the players manage those resources. It seems to me the Russian Front would be a better choice for this kind of warfare. Additionally, street fighting rules for Stalingrad would be an interesting new concept.

Having said that, the Pacific War has been an interest of mine for many years, although more at the operational and strategic level, so it would be interesting to play and/or design some scenarios featuring the British against the Japanese, perhaps in Burma or Malaya, for instance.

Australians in the Solomons and New Guinea spring to mind as possible additions as well. Banzai charges would be interesting to simulate as would the cave defences on Iwo and Okinawa.

Of course, if both expansions ever come out then you could have a Nomonhan scenario, pitting Japanese defenders against Soviet tanks. Now that would be cool.

Pacific for me!We have enough soviet's themes in other games.Pacific has to be first,then Soviets or Poles,because not everybody knows that II WW was started in Poland on september 1939 and Poles were fighting on all fronts of WW II in Europe and were one of the four biggest european armies,despite the fact they lost their country whacked by Germans and Soviets.So give me Japaneses first gran_risa.gif.

I would go for the Eastern Front, especially if it included boards/rules for Stalingrad/urban conflict. The German pieces mostly seem to be in place such an expansion, just needs hordes of Soviet infantry.

gasha1 said:

...the Pacific War has been an interest of mine for many years, although more at the operational and strategic level, so it would be interesting to play and/or design some scenarios featuring the British against the Japanese, perhaps in Burma or Malaya, for instance.

Australians in the Solomons and New Guinea spring to mind as possible additions as well. Banzai charges would be interesting to simulate as would the cave defences on Iwo and Okinawa.

Of course, if both expansions ever come out then you could have a Nomonhan scenario, pitting Japanese defenders against Soviet tanks. Now that would be cool.

Yes. These are great ideas. A PACIFIC EXP. would be far better served if it included not only the island-fighting, but these other locations as well. (Especially SE Asia. Heck - why not include scenarios from the Japanese invasion of China...?)

cyric036 said:

I would go for the Eastern Front, especially if it included boards/rules for Stalingrad/urban conflict. The German pieces mostly seem to be in place such an expansion, just needs hordes of Soviet infantry.

Agreed! Throw in "a few hordes" of T-34s as well!gran_risa.gif

And while they're at it, they might as well thrown in a half horde of KV-1s too!gran_risa.gif