Sign in to follow this  
d4rkwing

Need "Non-Combat" Character Advice

Hi All!

I was contemplating making a protocol droid character (like C-3PO) but I was wondering how this would work in combat. Assuming I can't directly attack anyone, what are the best things I can do during combat to help us win? If it matters I was thinking Colonist: Scholar would be the closest match to a protocol droid.

Thanks!

Well, aid another is always an option.  I would say focus on support mechanics, possibly even going politico for a non-lethal combat ability or two as well as the "social" abilities. Doctors are worth their weight in glitterstim IMO.  scholar is also a good choice.

And while you may not have any skill ranks in the attack skills, you can still default to the characteristic. you could also go for computers/mechanics and use the environment to hamper your foes. One destiny point and a computer roll later, and suddenly blast doors are opening/closing.  fire supression systems have been activated.  power couplings are blown spraying debris everywhere.

Possibilities are endless.

Scholar works great of course but you could also dip into another career to get some defensive or party coordinating abilities. Not to stack direct combat skills onto a non combat character, but there are some interesting talents that could augment a Heady character quite well and play to concept. Like sliding into Mercenary Soldier and going down the field commander route...and play it off in combat as being a bit bossy but effective :-)

I would say that scholar or politco definitely fits the bill. A scholar would be a protocol droid that focuses on translating and accessing data. A politico would be a protocol droid that focuses on helping out with negotiation between two parties, and might, in my opinion, be more fitting of a protocol droid. Think of it as a politician's best friend.

Either way the aspect of not fighting would be up to you to roleplay. You could conceivably spend combat rounds helping other characters with assisted checks on skill attempts, or you could even have a ball fighting people "on accident" ala C3-P0 in Episode II. But there's no mechanic that says protocol doids can't attack anyone.

Annoying Protocol Droid, the ultimate support character:  Colonist with dual spec into Politico, for the "inspiring" chatter that helps allies recover strain and get boost dice, and Doctor, for patching people up.  If you can speak like Anthony Daniels, so much the better...

We had a slicer using Computers on droids to deal strain damage ignoring soak by physically plugging in to the droid with their slicer gear and tampering with their systems.

It was pretty boss.  I'd totally let people do that in my campaigns.