Sign in to follow this  
DylanRPG

Thoughts on the Lightsaber

You could always let someone find or build a lightsaber after a few adventures to do so but make it limited.  It is simply not the quality of a "real lightsaber" cut the stats in half.

A training saber?

The thing about the 'training saber' concept, from my recollection, is that 'standard' lightsabers in canon were supposed to be able to be dialed down to the point where they couldn't cut, just sting (painfully)/potentially burn, while a training saber would only go up to that point... kaosoe, are you talking about that?

A training lightsaber, which was much the same as a regular lightsaber in construction except for having an attachment on the emitter that drastically curtailed the cutting power of the blade.  A character was able to grab on to a training 'saber's blade during a formal competition (not unlike a martial arts exhibition tourney) to defeat one of her opponents, and was both chided and commended by the tourney's lead judge for using an unorthodox tactic that wouldn't work with a real lightsaber.

The Tapani lightfoil was primarily a knock-off design of some real lightsabers that a group of local young nobles got their hands on after the Empire pretty much purged one of the other Great Houses for that house's past connections with the Jedi Order.  Not having the same level of diligence, the Tapani lightfoils weren't as reliable or energy-efficient as a true lightsaber, and were even prone to shorting out if put under too much duress (such as that caused by trying to deflect a blaster bolt or a prolonged blade lock).  They were still just as illegal as a lightsaber under Imperial law, but local authorities weren't quite as hung up about it, and many of the older nobles saw the whole 'Saber Rake' thing for what it was; a fad that was spawned by fascination with something with a long and significant history.  In fact, there were a number of Tapani nobles that would treat a Jedi Knight as being a peer, even if said Jedi was a non-human of non-noble origins, and would be a rare instance where being a Jedi was a boon to the group in a social situation instead of a hurdle to be overcome.

Interestingly enough, the Tapani lore also had Jedi and Sith aligning with -- and produced by -- rival Tapani noble houses...

But yeah, what Donovan Morningfire described is specifically why I asked kaosoe which he was referring to.

The thing about the 'training saber' concept, from my recollection, is that 'standard' lightsabers in canon were supposed to be able to be dialed down to the point where they couldn't cut, just sting (painfully)/potentially burn, while a training saber would only go up to that point... kaosoe, are you talking about that?

Right. Your interpretation of a training saber is correct. Mechanically. I (just my own interpretation) would flavor a training saber as a Less-that-stellar version of a standard Lightsaber.

RP-wise, this would serve to get a wannabe Jedi hungry for the real thing. To whet their apatite so to speak. But also it would satiate their own desire for a glow stick.

Edited by kaosoe

Well My thought was...An "inferior" Lightsaber  would/could one day by turned into a normal lightsaber.  You have the PC build it after adventuring for the components and plans, but without the proper training he/she simply cant get the thing to work perfectly.  But as he and his powers progress (and finally the Jedi rules come out)  He/she at some point gets it functioning properly.  A laser foil is and always will be a laser foil same as a training saber. 

Edited by ryolacap

I wonder why no one ever came up with a plasma edge for bladed weapons.  Something in between a vibro weapon and the glowy beatstick.

They probably deemed it to not really be worth the hassle.  After all, why have something that's kinda like a lightsaber in terms of function when you can just have a lightsaber?  And a vibroblade already does a pretty good job of cutting people up, so what's the real need for a plasma edged weapon?

And when you get down to it, a plasma edge really isn't all that different from a lightsaber in function, though it's far more vulnerable as there's significantly more of the weapon available to attack in a fight in comparison to the rather small hilt that's the only vulnerable part of a lightsaber.

3. I'm hoping they don't do a whole bunch of trees for Jedi. They did a good job with the FSE (and other trees) of giving two distinct paths that blend at the end. Sometimes, less is more. Give us essential mechanic effects so we can flavor it however we like.

I was thinking about this too, but with only, let's say, 3 more new trees in addition to the 2 we have now, a Jedi character would only ever get to 5 Force Points. There need to be 7 base Jedi Specializations (and the 2 we have now), to reflect a traditional Jedi's eventual ascension to Yoda/Emporer levels. Or there need to be other ways to gain Force Points, like have the final level of 3 trees have two opportunities to gain a FP. So that would mean only 4 new specializations. 

Edited by BradPlogsted

I kind of don't want people getting to 7. At least not in the core book. Maybe throw some force-rating talents in the eventual supplements.

I agree.

Force Rating 7 shouldn't be something that can simply be achieved by throwing enough XP at the goal.

In most instances, Force Rating 5 should be more than sufficient to get enough Light Side points to activate the basic effect of a Force Power and whatever upgrades the player wants on all but the most abysmal of rolls.  The odds of not getting even a single Light Side pip to work with when you're rolling 5 Force Dice has got to be pretty low.  It's also enough that the Force-user can afford to have a couple of Ongoing Effects active (such as the defensive and offensive Control Upgrades for Sense) and still have enough dice to get at least the basic effects of a power to work with maybe an upgrade or two.  Which would make sense, as in the films we really don't see the Jedi doing a lot of "big power" usages of the Force when they're in the midst of a lightsaber fight.  The Senate sequence in RotS with Palps literally throwing the Senate at Yoda occurred at a point where Palpatine had pretty much given up on lightsaber fighting and simply wanted to squash the little green Jedi Master.

However, unless FFG really does decide to buck the trend, we probably will be seeing multiple career/specializations for Force-users in Force & Destiny, making it so that getting Force Rating 7 does ultimately become a simple matter of time and XP spent.

I just had an insight. I was assuming Jedi/Sith Specializations would adhere to what we've seen already in Force Specializations - one chance at the end of the tree to gain a Force Point. But duh! Those specializations are untrained. With training (which the Jedi drive home), a Force user can control the Force. So I think some of the Jedi/Sith specializations will have a second opportunity to gain a Force Point (maybe still on the 25 level, maybe for Jedi Consular on the 20 level). 

So, as I agree that a PC should never get to 6 FP (Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker), and especially 7 (Yoda, the Emperor), they at least won't have to take (and nearly complete) three more Specializations to get those 3 FP's. Get 1 at the start and 1 from completing Jedi Initiate, 1 more from completing Padawan, and 2 more from Jedi Knight - Guardian and there's 5. 

Or if we keep the 1 FP per Spec, you'd have to go Initiate, Padawan, Knight, Master, to get to 5. That actually doesn't sound so bad. 

Interesting thought.  What if they add a force use skill?  Every rank in force use gives you a force die.  It's a class skill for the F&D classes but it's special in that it always costs 10 (or more) per additional rank.  That way you could still pick up the exile or emergent tree and get the bonus die at the end.

Another idea would to be to put non ranked talents that give you force dice into the trees with the last row being the generic +1 die the current ones have.  That way no matter how many talent trees you dipped into you would have to push through to the end to get an increase.

I really dislike putting restrictions on players due to movie characters. Almost as much as having said characters in your game as Mary Sues.

Oh, dear gods, so much this.

Let's set our own limits, thanks. 

Interesting thought.  What if they add a force use skill?  Every rank in force use gives you a force die.  It's a class skill for the F&D classes but it's special in that it always costs 10 (or more) per additional rank.  That way you could still pick up the exile or emergent tree and get the bonus die at the end.

Another idea would to be to put non ranked talents that give you force dice into the trees with the last row being the generic +1 die the current ones have.  That way no matter how many talent trees you dipped into you would have to push through to the end to get an increase.

Uhm no. Way too easy to get Force dice. Way too unbalanced.

Hi people!

One doubt.There days I'm re-watching Clone Wars Movie/TV Show and I saw that a Lightsaber is more than a Breach 1 weapon. I think that was in the movie and the first chapters, but Yoda, Obi and Anakin sliced heavy armored vehicles (destroying them in a few cases) so easily.

Probably those vehicles were Armor 2 (maybe more?) so, do you adjudicate this destrucction fact to a critical, lightsaber have more Breach or just that those 3 are so cool? XD

Hi people!

One doubt.There days I'm re-watching Clone Wars Movie/TV Show and I saw that a Lightsaber is more than a Breach 1 weapon. I think that was in the movie and the first chapters, but Yoda, Obi and Anakin sliced heavy armored vehicles (destroying them in a few cases) so easily.

Probably those vehicles were Armor 2 (maybe more?) so, do you adjudicate this destrucction fact to a critical, lightsaber have more Breach or just that those 3 are so cool? XD

In WEG days, this was based on the level of the user's Control (a Force skill). We may see something in a F&D tree that increases the Breach of a wielder's lightsaber just as we see hints that such things that add defense/deflection may be there.

Not a bad one idea, but, its a "Jedi thing" or a 4 years old child with a kart with a lightsaber on it could cut Confederation vehicles at chapter 1 easily?

I liked you idea and considered to apply it but I also thing that seems that Lightsaber can do it alone with not so much effort. Maybe?

Crimson, yep, unless you aren't a Jedi, lightsaber is just a cool and expensive can opener XD

Edited by Josep Maria

You could always let someone find or build a lightsaber after a few adventures to do so but make it limited.  It is simply not the quality of a "real lightsaber" cut the stats in half.

A training saber?

you mean like the ones used by young padawans?

e45873db-d490-48ff-b0ad-cb7f12b42bae_zps

Would you use one Despair to symbolize someone shooting himself with a blaster?  Self amputation seems a bit extreme. Perhaps the weapon malfunctions.  Possibly it is dropped.  Maybe upgrade the difficulty next action the player takes.

you mean like the ones used by young padawans?

Anyone notice anything wrong with this picture?

Only one thing?

Better questions: Is there anything right with this picture?