Sign in to follow this  

Damage seems about right for this game.  Getting shot sucks.  The PCs should be encouraged to seek cover whenever possible.  Gunfights are dangerous business.  Vibroweapons are terrifying.  And lightsabers... well, they are even worse.

However, PCs don't automatically die when damage exceeds their wound threshold.  Wounds in this game do not equal hit points in D20.  They are their own mechanic.

Yeah, I think I would prefer getting stabbed with a lightsaber over a vibro-weapon.. at least you get all burny cauterize-y and dont bleed all over the place before your corpse gets violated by curious jawas...

That's one thing I absolutely love about this system.  It is LETHAL.  I mean, think about real life.  How many times can you get shot before you're down for the count?

Yeah, I think damage is pretty reasonable in this game for most builds. For really high soak builds (high brawn + talents), the damage is actually pretty low, but that's a problem with high soak builds more than the damage. 

Also, it's worth noting that blaster pistols take quite a bit more hits to take a PC down against an armored PC with average brawn. In fact, in my game I boost all blaster pistol damage by 1 to make them a little more deadly. Even a standard blaster rifle might take 3 hits to take down a PC. 

Finally, stimpacks are a very useful tool for giving PCs added survivability, since their liberal use can easily make up for a couple hits.

Flip those Destiny Points on incoming barrages, and pay no mind to the gleam in the GM's eye at having a DS point.

Purchase Dodge at the earliest opportunity...and then do it again a few more times

Try not to get into fights as though you were playing Dragon Warrior I and triggered a random encounter with a pack of slimes.  Corpses do not equal XP / per body as in d20.

Stand behind the wookie, or Plush Cover® as they are known to me.  One player's wound is another player's good fortune :P

If you get hit with an autofire weapon, consider surrendering, bluffing, fast talking, running, switching sides, or going for a hail mary to work advantage or triumph results to change the battlefield in your favor.

Try not to get in a fight unless you start with the upper hand.

In the 90%+ of cases where the above is not possible...go with one of the other suggestions ;) .

Mostly combat resolves quickly in Edge of the Empire.  Deadliness is a group preference and/or current situation thing.

Flip those Destiny Points on incoming barrages, and pay no mind to the gleam in the GM's eye at having a DS point.

Purchase Dodge at the earliest opportunity...and then do it again a few more times

Try not to get into fights as though you were playing Dragon Warrior I and triggered a random encounter with a pack of slimes.  Corpses do not equal XP / per body as in d20.

Stand behind the wookie, or Plush Cover® as they are known to me.  One player's wound is another player's good fortune :P

If you get hit with an autofire weapon, consider surrendering, bluffing, fast talking, running, switching sides, or going for a hail mary to work advantage or triumph results to change the battlefield in your favor.

Try not to get in a fight unless you start with the upper hand.

In the 90%+ of cases where the above is not possible...go with one of the other suggestions ;) .

Mostly combat resolves quickly in Edge of the Empire.  Deadliness is a group preference and/or current situation thing.

I lol'd.  I lol'd hard.

You have to remember that this is not d20 or any one of the various SW video games.  In  the films, everybody, absolutely everybody is down for the count after 1-2 hits from  blaster (especially extras.)  IMO FFG has replicated the feel of the films perfectly as well as the realism of combat.

OP: Remember that just about everyone is going to have some soak.  it may not be high, but it will be there.  As far as the damage goes, at least in the movies most people went down with one good hit, much less 2.  Of course you could make the "critical" hit argument, but I don't think so.

Yeah, I think damage is pretty reasonable in this game for most builds. For really high soak builds (high brawn + talents), the damage is actually pretty low, but that's a problem with high soak builds more than the damage. 

Also, it's worth noting that blaster pistols take quite a bit more hits to take a PC down against an armored PC with average brawn. In fact, in my game I boost all blaster pistol damage by 1 to make them a little more deadly. Even a standard blaster rifle might take 3 hits to take down a PC. 

Finally, stimpacks are a very useful tool for giving PCs added survivability, since their liberal use can easily make up for a couple hits.

The max soak you can get with all talents, armor and upgrades is 16. The max damage you can do with a heavy blaster pistol, with all upgrades, talents etc is 28 (plus successes).

I think it will stay lethal :-)