Sign in to follow this  
LukeZZ

Voluntary Spending Strain?

Sorry can't answer your question as I don't know, but I have tried to find this rule you mention in the book, and I can't find it (all I found was a sentence saying that elsewhere in the book you will find a way to get more than one maneuver) can someone give me a page number?

Thanks

A character may perform one free maneuver on his turn. He may also perform a second maneuver by voluntarily suffering two points of strain. (Characters may also perform a second maneuver through a particularly successful skill check, or by other means listed elsewhere.)

However, regardless of the source, a single character may not perform more than two maneuvers during his turn.

(Page 200)

Without Talents, the only effect that characters can have by spending Strain (2 points) is to gain a maneuver?

Yeah, but maneuvers are a pretty varied lot.  If characters could do fifty things with strain there'd be no reason for talents because someone would be able to approximate it through the untalented routes and then just juice their characteristics and give the game advancement system the bird.

A character may perform one free maneuver on his turn. He may also perform a second maneuver by voluntarily suffering two points of strain. (Characters may also perform a second maneuver through a particularly successful skill check, or by other means listed elsewhere.)
However, regardless of the source, a single character may not perform more than two maneuvers during his turn.

(Page 200)

For clarification, a character suffers 2 strain if she wants to perform 2 maneuvers in addition to an action, right? My understanding is that a character can use a maneuver in place of an action without suffering strain.

(Page 200)

For clarification, a character suffers 2 strain if she wants to perform 2 maneuvers in addition to an action, right? My understanding is that a character can use a maneuver in place of an action without suffering strain.

That is correct.

E

All of this is true, but I think Luke is asking if he can spend strain on anything else without getting talents that let you do so.  The answer, as far as I know, is no.  Strain is only used as a resource for:

1. Extra maneuver, as you know.

2. Activating certain talents, as you know.
3. Converting Dark Side force pips to Light Side force pips when using a Force Power as a Force Sensitive (or Light to Dark for darkside users).

I can't think of anything else that lets you use it as a resource.  Besides that, strain is your non-lethal damage pool, and there are certain attacks and weapons, as well as environmental effects, that can drain your strain.

All of this is true, but I think Luke is asking if he can spend strain on anything else without getting talents that let you do so.  The answer, as far as I know, is no.  Strain is only used as a resource for:

1. Extra maneuver, as you know.

2. Activating certain talents, as you know.

3. Converting Dark Side force pips to Light Side force pips when using a Force Power as a Force Sensitive (or Light to Dark for darkside users).

I can't think of anything else that lets you use it as a resource.  Besides that, strain is your non-lethal damage pool, and there are certain attacks and weapons, as well as environmental effects, that can drain your strain.

OK, thank you!

Is there some "medicine" that can help you recover strain during combat?

For wounds there is the Stimpack, but it doesn't restore strain...

You can reduce your strain by spending an advantage during your checks. You can do it multiple times (pg 206, table 6-2).

So it will be going up and down during the course of battle.