Sign in to follow this  
JP_JP

Starship handling ? WEG vs EotE

My group has been trying to convert key starships from WEG to EotE.
Since WEG is the main reference for Star Wars RPG, I would have hoped that the stats system would have been fairly easy to convert. Unfortunately, some major differences makes it difficult.

In WEG 3rd edition :
- Stock YT-1300 has handling of 0D

- Stock YT-2400 has handling of 1D

- Z-95 Headhunter has handling of 1D

- Y-Wing has handling of 2D
- TIE Fighter has handling of 2D

In EotE :

- Stock YT-1300 has handling of -1

- Stock YT-2400 has handling of 0

- Z-95 has handling of +1
- Y-Wing has handling of 0

- TIE Fighter has handling of +3

So the stats aren't comparable... I wonder if they did this on purpose (knowing WEG stats) or they just made up their own.
To have comparable stats, you'd have to put Z-95 at 0, Y-Wing at +1, and Tie Fighter of +1.

So ? Comments ??

Stats are comparable in my opinion, I see your issue, but there's also the abstract speed notion in EotE to take into account.

Also, changes to the y-wing vs z95 in handling makes sense in my opinion - and the TIE has lots higher since the handling also affects chases and in a way speed, at least how well it handles at its speed. Speed (and silhouette) also generates difficulties in this game: higher of speed and silhouette/2 (round up) is number of dice, lower of the two is how many difficulty dice are upgraded to challenge dice.

So I'd think that the up-coming X-wing stats (next year in AoR if not before) would probably have equal speed to the TIE, but lower handling, or perhaps lower speed, but higher or equal handling, this relationship between speed and handling affects performance in dogfights and chases, more so than one of them alone, obviously, but handling is what makes it more likely that you'll succeed, more so than speed. If this is at all understandable.

WEG values don't seem to reflect the fiction about the various ships as well as the EotE values do.

WEG's values were created before 90%+ of the Fiction you're referring to existed. The Z-95 was really just a concept art for the X-wing before WEG made it into a new vehicle.

WEG values don't seem to reflect the fiction about the various ships as well as the EotE values do.

While I love the WEG game and use it's books for every Star Wars game I've played, I agree with this;

From WEG Star Wars sourcebook (as an example)

" the reason for the TIE fighter's vaunted speed and maneuverability." = Handling 2D

"No longer as fast, maneuverable or as heavily armed as other starfighters, " = Handling 2D

The WoTC starfighters stats were even worse, X-wings and Y-wings with same maneuverability.

If the EoE stats better reflect the fluff I'll be an even happier bunny than I already am. :)

My main concern is that it creates some complications for those of us trying to develop conversion rubrics.  There is a ton of D6 stats, and some players and GMs want to move familiar ships over to EotE in a consistent manner.  It's looking less and less like this is a possibility.

My main concern is that it creates some complications for those of us trying to develop conversion rubrics.  There is a ton of D6 stats, and some players and GMs want to move familiar ships over to EotE in a consistent manner.  It's looking less and less like this is a possibility.

I think it would be better to take the original d6 stats then also look at the other available source material like wookipedia and compare with existing EotE ships then come up with some stats. I don't think just putting the numbers into some formula would be accurate and be a missed opportunity.

You may need to adapt based more on other abstracts or, in some cases, the intention or ideal behind the ship.

This is very, very true.

I've had to make a number of 'educated' guesses on converting WEG stats over to EotE as part of my "Equipment Labs - Exploring the Galaxy" series of articles for the Gamer Security Agency, particularly ones that never got a d20 write-up.

Trying to figure out a straight-line conversion formula is akin to getting a toddler to sit still after giving them a super-sugary snack.  At least not without resorting to duct tape...

My whole free-traders catalogue (update in the works) is a collection of educated guesses and assumptions based on what was released in the beta, and previous versions of said ships in relation to the ships I've converted. Certainly its far from perfect, particularly silhouette and encumbrance conversions is sometimes difficult, although I find handling to be somewhat easier once I've seen speed and handling from earlier versions, and read description of the ship's performance. Sometimes a faster ship will have same speed, but higher handling than a somewhat slower ship, which will have the same speed, but lower, perhaps negative, handling.

That said, I haven't done all that much work on starfighters - there are some in the Known Threats catalogue, but these are originally not done by me, even if I have tweaked them for the catalogue.