Sign in to follow this  
Hordeoverseer

Obligation for Cash or XP

I thought you could add on each extra once as long as your boosted Obligation is < 2X your starting Ob?

So if you start with 20 Obligation in a two player game you cant jack your Obligation beyond 40 (10 for extra xp, 10 for extra cash; or 5 for extra xp + 10 for extra cash and 5 for extra cash, etc). You just can't buy each line more than once no matter your Obligation cap.

At least that's how I strolled away from pg. 40 anyway.

What Callidon said... Your max limit on Obligation is two fold. 1) No more than twice the amount of starting obligation for the party (most likely to be 10, so you can take up to 10 more). 2) You can only take each of the four options once. 

Given that each of the four options combined comes to 30 obligation, there's no possibility for someone to start out with +15xp and +3,500 cash.

In my case, I built a character with the base XP assuming 10 starting obligation. I took +5 for an additional 5xp to nab an extra career skill base rank, and then as I was buying equipment I needed more than the 500 starting credits, so I took the extra 1000 credit option for +5 obligation. However, I only did this *after* I started buying equipment.

I stand corrected, I just went back and checked.  I don't recall where I heard it but I could swear you had to choose to bump XP or credits and could only do it once overall.  I do notice it says you can only "choose each option once."  What options?  +5 vs +10?  XP vs credits?  Once for each combination (the table listed technically has FOUR options).  The rulebook isn't clear about what an option is in this case.

It means that you can't pick the same option twice, being the exact combination of obligation and reward.

So, using the above example provided, you could pick +10 for XP and +10 for credits, or you could pick +10 for XP and +5 for XP and +5 for credits, or you could pick +10 for credits and +5 for credits and +5 for XP.

But, you couldn't pick +10 for credits and +10 for credits, since it is a duplicate option.

I think I am actually going to entice my players to take out more starting obligation if they want.  I'm not going to limit them to 2x their starting obligation.  So, one player could take out all 4 options at +30 starting obligation if they want.  But, the total party obligation still can't meet 100 or they all get screwed over.  Consequently, players are going to have to decide together during the character creation process as to who gets to take out obligation, and how much.  If one guy has 40 obligation, he is going to get triggered A LOT, and he'll have to realize this if he decides to do that.

I've found that almost every character needs to get the extra 500 credits at start just to have the kind of equipment they're used to starting with from WEG/D6.

Yeah, this was a sore point for me during the Beta, and one I was rather frequently told to "quit yer whining" about.

For the few games that I've run, I just double the starting amount to 1000 credits.  Works just fine, and the player's don't feel forced to take more Obligation unless they really want some snazzy gear or those few extra starting XP.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

This whole thread seems to be focused on just character creation.  And while there is a limit then based upon party size, etc, there doesn't seem to be a limit after character creation.  Mind you, not being able to spend XP until the group total goes under 100 is a hefty stick, I don't think there is a hard limit.

I've found that almost every character needs to get the extra 500 credits at start just to have the kind of equipment they're used to starting with from WEG/D6.

Yeah, this was a sore point for me during the Beta, and one I was rather frequently told to "quit yer whining" about.

For the few games that I've run, I just double the starting about to 1000 credits.  Works just fine, and the player's don't feel forced to take more Obligation unless they really want some snazzy gear or those few extra starting XP.

That's what I've done too. 1,000 credits allows a little more room without going crazy.

Ok, first off, I haven't done anything beyond the pre-gen characters, so I don't have a lot of experience with character creation.  But couldn't the intent of the low starting creds be to sort of force obligation?  Obligation is fairly important to the narrative element of the game right?  If you give starting characters 1000 creds and that gives them enough comfort room that they don't need to take obligation, then doesn't that take some of the risk out of the game?

If 500 is a little too slim to start off, maybe they built it in a way to make you either pinch your pennies, or take at least 5 obligation to start off.

I have five players and my concern with extra obligation is that we are going to be at 75 group, if they all take 5, and 100 if they take 10.  This seems like A LOT, so I am thinking about not allowing them to take additional obligation.  That said, 500 creds is very tight. 

Thoughts? Opinions? Experience?

Ok, first off, I haven't done anything beyond the pre-gen characters, so I don't have a lot of experience with character creation.  But couldn't the intent of the low starting creds be to sort of force obligation?  Obligation is fairly important to the narrative element of the game right?  If you give starting characters 1000 creds and that gives them enough comfort room that they don't need to take obligation, then doesn't that take some of the risk out of the game?

If 500 is a little too slim to start off, maybe they built it in a way to make you either pinch your pennies, or take at least 5 obligation to start off.

All characters start with a certain amount of obligation.  There are recommended values.  So if you have a group of 4, it recommends 10.  They can then take additional obligation to get credits or experience. So, they will always have some.

I have five players and my concern with extra obligation is that we are going to be at 75 group, if they all take 5, and 100 if they take 10.  This seems like A LOT, so I am thinking about not allowing them to take additional obligation.  That said, 500 creds is very tight. 

I think it's good to have low starting credits because it gives the PCs more incentive to take that first job or opportunity that gets everything rolling. It's basically a built-in plot hook/motivation.

I think it's good to have low starting credits because it gives the PCs more incentive to take that first job or opportunity that gets everything rolling. It's basically a built-in plot hook/motivation.

I have to agree with Doc here. I am playing a mechanic that started with the base 500 credits and I am doing just fine. Players shouldn't expect to start with Laminate armor and a Disruptor Rifle. Since our first adventure, I have managed to pick up slightly better arms and enough gear to feel like a mechanic, but I earned it and that makes it feel more like my gear.

Well, there's my earlier suggestion of doubling the starting amount of credits to 1000 instead of 500.

And I can share the concern, as the online game that I'll be playing in is facing a similar concern, as there's going to be five players, and two of the three that created characters went for the full +10 Obligation to get extra build XP, with me being the only one to just take +5 (again for more build XP), and quite possibly putting the party at a starting total of 95 Obligation.  I'm hoping the GM will give us some prime opportunities to lower it once the campaign starts, as I don't fancy being shafted and unable to spend XP just because the other players got greedy and couldn't live without one more trained skill or just had to have all kinds of uber-gear right away.