• Announcements

• FFG Fra

Upcoming Changes to the Fantasy Flight Games Forums   01/20/2017

Hello Fantasy Flight Games forum community!   This week, we will be making some important changes to your Fantasy Flight Games community account and the way that you log into the Fantasy Flight Games community forums and web store.   We have been working hard to integrate with the rest of the Asmodee group, and we are happy to announce a unified way to access all the websites and apps made by Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, and Asmodee!   For most users, nothing will change: you will still log into the Fantasy Flight Games forums using your current login name and password. Only the login user interface will be new.   For a few users, your credentials might be slightly changed. For example, this could happen to users who have both a Fantasy Flight Games and Days of Wonder account, or in the case of conflicting login names across platforms. When these situations occur, special e-mails will be sent to those users with an easy explanation about those changes and what steps to take next. For any of you receiving those e-mails, please make sure to follow the instructions carefully.   Remember, official communications from Fantasy Flight Games or Asmodee.Net will never ask for your password.   What are the benefits for you as a player? Using a unified account to access all of our web services and apps makes your life simpler. Over time, you will see new features emerging, such as keeping all of your friends under a single account, finding friends easily in apps with online play, or developing your personal profile by adding to your board games collection. These are just some of the features that you will see during the next year, once this important technical step is complete.   Important note: The migration of the forums to our new system will take place on Tuesday, January 24th. The forums will be offline for about two hours during that time. Once the migration is complete, older forum posts may look strange for up to 24 hours as we rebuild them in our new system.   We can’t wait to connect our board game communities and build bridges between universes, game systems, players, events, groups, game clubs, and more! This is only the first step in bringing people and games closer together. For more information, read our FAQ at https://asmodee.helpshift.com/a/asmodee-net/.   Best regards,   The Fantasy Flight Games Team
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
noodles

D1 Lieutenant Minis

17 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has already been asked but if I recall correctly, some of the D1 lieutenants are the same as the D2 lieutenants.  Does that mean the old metal minis will work?

Yes, the old D1 LTs for the Farrows are perfectly well suited to D2E as well.  The scale of the spaces has not changed, so they'll still fit.

In fact, I suspect that if FFG ever does get around to releasing D2E LTs, the Farrows will just be the same figures in a new package.

Yes, the old D1 LTs for the Farrows are perfectly well suited to D2E as well.  The scale of the spaces has not changed, so they'll still fit.

In fact, I suspect that if FFG ever does get around to releasing D2E LTs, the Farrows will just be the same figures in a new package.

I really hope they do release them... my LGS had almost all of the first edition lieutenants for as long as I can remember, but right when I decided to buy the Farrows (I was reluctant because I prefer plastic over metal, plus they're pretty pricey), they were all gone. I'm still bitter about it.

They didn't even have a Siren as a consolation prize (who isn't second edition, but darnit, I wanted a lieutenant mini!).

I much prefer a plastic LT then pewter. It's cheaper and this isn't a Games Workshop game! For a game like this just make it all plastic! Ill paint it if I need it more special.

I much prefer a plastic LT then pewter. It's cheaper and this isn't a Games Workshop game! For a game like this just make it all plastic! Ill paint it if I need it more special.

Actually, from what I understand, metal is cheaper than plastic if you're making individual figures.  It's part of the reason why the D1E LTs were released in pewter in the first place.  Plastic is only cheaper in bulk.  The lion's share of a Descent box's sticker price is the plastic inside.

I used to work as a figure sculptor for a few different minis companies including Grenadier Models back in the day, and I can tell you What Steve-O says is true. The making of the stainless steel molds used for making the plastic minis such as the ones used for the minis here is a complicated process that can cost many thousands of dollars to make, the molds for metal miniatures, made with a much simpler process, cost maybe a couple of hundred at the most to make. Overall, metal is way cheaper for miniatures in the much smaller runs that they will be doing for the LT minis. The expense of making the plastic minis is only financially viable in the large number of them made that are included in each game or expansion.

Edited by BatHead

Well, I personally plan to paint every Descent mini I have or will have, metal and plastic, from both D 1 and D2. Whether that actually happens or not is another story, LOL.

Kunzite likes this

Well, I personally plan to paint every Descent mini I have or will have, metal and plastic, from both D 1 and D2. Whether that actually happens or not is another story, LOL.

I would LOVE to paint them. It's not my set, but I think they would let me. the problem is I feel like I need someone to hold my hand with the first one or two and then I could do the rest. I can be told what to do till I'm blue in the face and still not get it. I do best shown.

I used to work as a figure sculptor for a few different minis companies including Grenadier Models back in the day, and I can tell you What Steve-O says is true. The making of the stainless steel molds used for making the plastic minis such as the ones used for the minis here is a complicated process that can cost many thousands of dollars to make, the molds for metal miniatures, made with a much simpler process, cost maybe a couple of hundred at the most to make. Overall, metal is way cheaper for miniatures in the much smaller runs that they will be doing for the LT minis. The expense of making the plastic minis is only financially viable in the large number of them made that are included in each game or expansion.

And what about resin ?

And what about resin ?

Resin is a whole other thing. While making a mold for resin is relatively cheap, the problem comes in with the fact that, If you get  a bad casting with metal, you can just toss the piece back into the pot to be remelted, the plastic minis such as those in the Descent game can be chopped up and remelted also, Resin figures cannot be recycled, if you get a bad casting, they can only be thrown away, the material used in that casting is wasted. The number of bad castings that would occur in the amount of figures required would be financially infeasible. Also, casting would require a vacuum chamber to reduce air bubbles in the piece. All of this would limit the number of figures you could cast up in a certain amount of time, again, negatively impacting the cost/benefit ratio. One last thing, resin is way to brittle to be used for small gaming figures that will be constantly handled, it's much more suitable for casting up larger scale model kits and statues in somewhat limited runs, These are the reasons that resin cast figures are so expensive and it would be even more so for gaming minis. The cost would be way to prohibitive, for both the company and the gamer.

Edited by BatHead

thanks for the answer

too bad ! :(

I hate so much metal minis, it's heavy, ugly, a real trouble with glue.

I really like plastic, and resin.

So, I will have to find my own lieutenants, in plastic

I wonder if other first edition lieutenants will end up popping up in the second edition expansions somewhere down the line. I'd love it if the siren was featured in a water-themed small set.

Well i know last year at Gencon they where selling the all three of the Farrows and by the end of con i believe they where out of them. The one good thing about them is the only assembly is to glue to the base.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Resin really soft as well?

No, it's actually somewhat brittle. One reason its not really suitable for small minis, anything long and thin like a sword or arm, will snap right of with little effort. It's better suited for much larger figures like statues and such.