Sign in to follow this  
Kager

GM Dice rolls

No, I roll in the open. I prefer to lay the gm screen flat on the table and roll on that.

Thats a really good idea. I'm going to have to try that once our new game gets rolling.

Pun intended?

No, I roll in the open. I prefer to lay the gm screen flat on the table and roll on that.

Thats a really good idea. I'm going to have to try that once our new game gets rolling.

Pun intended?

Always.  :D

I try to let my players do the rolling - which has the added benefit of stacking the odds slightly more in their favour (I think, ability/prof dice are "better" than difficulty/challenge dice).

If I have to roll, like in combat, I roll openly.

That said, I sometimes do roll secretly if I feel its necessary, but I try to keep it open.

That is a great idea.   :D  The only drawback is not being able to see the very pretty art on the other side.   :(

The other alternative is to have it up but off to the side to block off whatever adventure notes you might be keeping, but still allow direct access to the rolling surface in the midst of the table.

I usually hide because I always roll so low that nothing exciting happens, and so I tweak dice rolls to improve the narrative. Gygax did say, "The only reason a GM rolls dice is because he likes the sound they make."

For this system, though, I'm gonna roll in the open every time. After reading an earlier post in this thread, I may even use that trick about making my players roll everything. Maybe I can experiment with having them roll enemy rolls against their own characters. Maybe cumbersome, but worth a try I think.

I used to roll behind my screen but for this system I love watching my players lean forward in anticipation of each result and then watching the smiles as I sometimes cleverly narrate the dice.

I haven't played yet but reading through the rulebook it seems that if you follow their suggestion of the GM using an event ''tree'' to quickly choose new outcomes should the PC's do something that leads to an unexpected plot change. It would seem wise to use the GM screen to hide it along with other notes regarding upcoming events the PCs should be kept unaware of. As for dice rolling, if I where the GM I would just let the PC's roll any skill/combat checks themselves. It looks like there is plenty of other things for the GM to do anyways and I'm sure everyone wants to fondle their shiny new dice!! And considering their isnt a fear of knocking over a ton of minis in game play its not a big deal to have dice flying around!

I must say I always hide everything. Where I play, i often change players so I don't want them to see whats written on my notes and the fun comes from how unpredictable the NPC's actions are.

Great suggestions. As the GM i really want to roll as little as possible, keep the players involved. Maybe if an npc gets a critical on a pc have one of the other PC's roll for the critical hit table? Or if the next hit might kill a PC have that PC roll the dice pool for that attack. Thoughts?

Great suggestions. As the GM i really want to roll as little as possible, keep the players involved. Maybe if an npc gets a critical on a pc have one of the other PC's roll for the critical hit table? Or if the next hit might kill a PC have that PC roll the dice pool for that attack. Thoughts?

Personally, that would be awesome. Fate is in their own hands.

Personally, that would be awesome. Fate is in their own hands.

I don't see how I matters. A dice roll is a dice roll. The hands that drop the dice shouldn't matter.

I don't see how It matters. A dice roll is a dice roll. The hands that drop the dice shouldn't matter.

I disagree, Rolling the dice is a big part of the experience, would you rather watch or be involved?

I don't see how It matters. A dice roll is a dice roll. The hands that drop the dice shouldn't matter.

I disagree, Rolling the dice is a big part of the experience, would you rather watch or be involved?

Agreed, the hands that roll feel the weight of the dice, so to speak. Take dice rolls away from your players and see how hard and fast they react. More player rolls, more control over their own fate. Narrative system mentality is a lot different from what most GMs are used to. Give more, get more.

I used to roll secretly, but so far with this game I've been open.  I prefer it, mostly because it contributes to the narrative possibilities of the players to add their input on the dice roll.

I don't see how I matters. A dice roll is a dice roll. The hands that drop the dice shouldn't matter.

Yawn

I must say I always hide everything. Where I play, i often change players so I don't want them to see whats written on my notes and the fun comes from how unpredictable the NPC's actions are.

So, keep your notes hidden, but doesn't explain why you hide the rolls, heheh.

Given that the players get to decide how Threat and Despair are spent, I think open rolls is best. There's a level of trust that is present in that. I want my players to do what their characters would do, not what they as players would do. It's quite different to how most of us have been playing D&D in the past, for sure.

While not quite the same, Lowhhrick's player, from my game, had to make the hard decision to split the party recently, when most of the crew left with the 'Face' of the group to lie low. He wasn't convinced and left with Wex and Orpa on their now badly damaged ship, the Lucky Guess. But he did so not as a player, but in character, so we'll roll with it next session.

As a GM, I want to tell the best possible story, and for that, I feel I work better with my players' input and help. So I keep the rolls in the open.