Sign in to follow this  
Fiddleback

Skill Monkey

Skill Monkey has returned.  This time he's mucking about with guns in fairly unusual ways.

http://www.madadventurers.com/skill-monkey-the-shooterist/

I enjoyed listening to this, but I was curious about something. My apologies if it was already addressed and I missed it. Some of the uses of ranged weapon skill to intimidate people struck me as basically mimicking coercion. I'm all for allowing players to be creative, but isn't this kind of breaking the system's balance (you want to be good at an action you pay the xp for it)? EotE has pretty specific rules with pretty explicit details on how different skills can be used. Allowing players to sub in skills with no issue strikes me as more of a house rule than something official. I'd be more tempted to go with players subbing in a skill for extra difficulty (intimidating a group to obey being more difficult than using leadership/command) or, for most of the examples from this skill monkey, giving players a boost die or two for coming up with how a skill they're trained in is relevant but still rolling the actual associated skill. Or, if they really want to stretch it, having them pay a force point to use a different skill.

Skill Monkey has returned.  This time he's mucking about with guns in fairly unusual ways.

http://www.madadventurers.com/skill-monkey-the-shooterist/

I enjoyed listening to this, but I was curious about something. My apologies if it was already addressed and I missed it. Some of the uses of ranged weapon skill to intimidate people struck me as basically mimicking coercion. I'm all for allowing players to be creative, but isn't this kind of breaking the system's balance (you want to be good at an action you pay the xp for it)? EotE has pretty specific rules with pretty explicit details on how different skills can be used. Allowing players to sub in skills with no issue strikes me as more of a house rule than something official. I'd be more tempted to go with players subbing in a skill for extra difficulty (intimidating a group to obey being more difficult than using leadership/command) or, for most of the examples from this skill monkey, giving players a boost die or two for coming up with how a skill they're trained in is relevant but still rolling the actual associated skill. Or, if they really want to stretch it, having them pay a force point to use a different skill.

Could letting a PC use a weapon skill as a way to intimidate NPCs nullify the utility of Coercion?

Yes, it could, and you're right to be concerned, but that doesn't mean don't do it.

So, when would you want to let a PC use a weapon skill to intimidate/coerce? The devil is in the details.

Suppose, your PC just smashed their way into the First Coruscant Savings & Loan. They shoot both security droids and stun the manager out. Now, they're left with a room full of unarmed civilians a breath away from total panic. You could call for a Coercion test, but does it really take a lot of specialized training to scare a room full of terrified noncombatants?

No, it does not.

In this instance, particularly since the PC is pointing at all the civilians with his brand new XK3 'Destroyer' heavy blaster rifle, let him make a Ranged-Heavy check with his Willpower as the base ability to herd all the civilians into the vault. It should be a Medium check with maybe a Setback or two depending on the exact circumstances.

Could you have used Coercion for that? Sure, you could have. If the PC had Coercion and a heavy blaster, let him make the Medium check with a Boost die for the blaster and probably a second for taking out all the security forces so quickly.

I think the place to draw the line is where skill expertise would be required. Trying to intimidate a gang of hardened swoop bikers? You're going to need Coercion, lots of it, and probably the Intimidate talent to boot. A Ranged-Heavy skill ain't going to cut it then kid. 

Hi Nimsim,

Just a couple of quick points as I am heading out on vacation in the next few moments.

1. While allowing someone to use weapon skills IN PLACE of coercion or intimidation would be unfair to those who have spent the XP and time to acquire those skills, at no point does Skill Monkey suggest doing so. Showing your, no doubt, impressively modified FearMonger repeating blaster with the RedEye laser sight at just the right moment, however, may allow you to aid someone else's Intimidation Check by adding a Boost die. 

2. Skill Monkey is a serious advocate of having a discussion with your GM before implementing any of his suggestions. In fact, he makes a point in this installment of specifically recommending such discussions before allowing any of these options. If it doesn't work for you and your group, or your table wants to make adjustments to the suggestions to allow such things, then that is perfectly fine. This should ALWAYS be done before any of the many suggestions the Skill Monkey has offered over the course of his career. Never blindly assume that your GM (or your players) HAVE to allow something just because the Skill Monkey says so.

3. Which brings us here. While the Skill Monkey has been lucky enough to do some work on the Star Wars RPG line for FFG, and, while he does name check some of the Devs and other people associated with the production of the RPG (like Sam Stewart in this particular episode), at no point is anything the Skill Monkey suggests to be taken as an official postion, rule, or recommendation supported by and endorsed by FFG. When Skill Monkey mentions a particular Dev it is because that Developer has given the Skill Monkey a suggestion about what skill or scenario they would like to hear Skill Monkey talk about, much like other fans of Skill Monkey's work have done. It's his way of thanking them for the suggestion. As soon as they start paying Skill Monkey for official work on the product line creating rules and such, he'll be sure to let you know.  You and all the rest of the world. In the meantime, the Skill Monkey just tries to make your games better and more exciting through useful examples of how to narrate skill effects and get more out of them.

Hope that helps and has answered your concerns.  Until next time...

Beep-boop-a-dee-boop-a-deedly-boop-dee-boop-a-deedly-boop-dee-boop-a-dee-boop-a-dee......

I think the place to draw the line is where skill expertise would be required. Trying to intimidate a gang of hardened swoop bikers? You're going to need Coercion, lots of it, and probably the Intimidate talent to boot. A Ranged-Heavy skill ain't going to cut it then kid.

Using a show of your highly honed weapon skill to intimidate even just a single individual can end up with potentially disastrous results if you happen to go up against the wrong guy. I can think of one example:

http://youtu.be/ua_TZ84hmEA?t=10s

Edited by Deve Sunstriker

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you and Educated Monkey.

http://www.madadventurers.com/skill-monkey-an-educated-monkey/

The Skill Monkey also, with this installment, draws the current series of Skill Monkey to a close.

In addition to the reasons stated in the episode itself, the Skill Monkey's real life counterpart, me, has a number of projects on his plate that require greater attention on his part.

It's been a fun run, and this by no means means that you'll never hear Skill Monkey again. I'm sure certain forthcoming books may necessitate the occasional reappeareance.

I appreciate everyone's support and enthusiasm for the show and look forward to seeing you all again in some of my future endeavors.

As a reminder, all the Skill Monkey episodes can be found here: http://www.madadventurers.com/category/field-recordings/skill-monkey/

Thank you for your work Fiddleback.  As a newbie to EotE and hoping to GM my first game soon, your segments that "never" appear on the Order 66 podcast have given me great inspiration for rewarding (and punishing) my players.  I am also watching your Age of Rebellion beginner game on Youtube.  Do you have any other live play podcasts or videos in which you GM?  I like the way you run things and would like to watch more.  Good luck with your projects!

Thank you for your work Fiddleback.  As a newbie to EotE and hoping to GM my first game soon, your segments that "never" appear on the Order 66 podcast have given me great inspiration for rewarding (and punishing) my players.  I am also watching your Age of Rebellion beginner game on Youtube.  Do you have any other live play podcasts or videos in which you GM?  I like the way you run things and would like to watch more.  Good luck with your projects!

First, thank you.

Second, we'll be doing a new series of YALP adventures starting next week. I'll be GMing a couple sessions of Pokethulhu.  Yes, Pokethulhu. Probably you can keep up with the good bits versions of our games here: http://www.madadventurers.com/category/field-recordings/yalp/ We've done Deadlands: Reloaded and Pathfinder so far and have plans to venture into several other systems as well.

Skill Monkey recently had some problems not of his own making (an unusual enough situation) and in response ot those problems a very nice person and some equally nice other people decided to help him out a little which you can view here if you want the whole story. http://www.gofundme.com/z2a8m8c?pc=

In response to THAT response, there is a new Skill Monkey to say thank you to the nice folks.

Here: http://www.madadventurers.com/skill-monkey-fire/