Sign in to follow this  
kaelith

Missing ship

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a game about outrunning the empire should include the stat block for an imperial star destroyer, if only to know how close they come to shooting the PC ship out of the sky during a daring escape. Did I miss it somewhere?

It's outside the scope of Edge of the Empire, as the players have no way to deal with a threat of that magnitude. Use Star Destroyers as a plot device and wing it if any turbolaser fire ends up being involved. 

We'll probably see something more official about this in Age of Rebellion. 

Set up a count-down to the PCs' ship being in range of the gunnery on the SD.  Then just assign a steady flow of damage each round there-after until the PCs make the jump to lightspeed ..or.. fade to black.  Or until they come up with some crazy scheme, like docking at attack speed near the garbage port to mask their signal. 

Oh, and Tie Fighters (grabs a hand full of jacks and scatters them on the table).

I just know my players are gonna suicide ram their ship into the bridge of a star destroyer, and ask me how many imps are aboard...

If they are dead, how would they know how many were aboard?  If they aren't dead, still how would they know? 

Perhaps you should make up a number based upon Wookieepedia and have a mass funeral announcement via holonet for the widows and orphans from the latest terrorist atrocity.

There's also that age-old adage saying that if you stat something, someone will kill it. Or try to.

So I wonder if, for now, they'd just rather bypass that entirely and leave this as another angle of this game best left up to GM fiat and narrative.

If you really want Star Destroyer stats, just use the Nebulon B frigate as a base and increase it by a magnitude of 3 or 4.  That's a "good start".

Otherwise I have seen some homemade versions on various fan-made materials, which are easy enough to find via the forum.

And here I was hoping that this thread was lamenting the loss of the Ghtroc 720 light freighter that we last saw in the Beta. It would have been nice to have another available starting ship option.

For what it's worth, the stats for the Ghtroc 720 in the beta book still look pretty valid, to me, and the cost falls within the 'allowable budget' for a starting ship as suggested in the Core Rulebook.

If I had a crew who really wanted one, I'd let them have it.

In the first edition SWRPG book from WEG, there's a part in the GM section which advices you on how to reply to players who wish to engage Star Destroyers: Draw a large wedge-shape triangle on a piece of paper to represent the Star Destroyer. Then lightly put a dot on the paper next to the triangle. "That's you. Sure you want to attack?"

And here I was hoping that this thread was lamenting the loss of the Ghtroc 720 light freighter that we last saw in the Beta. It would have been nice to have another available starting ship option.

For what it's worth, the stats for the Ghtroc 720 in the beta book still look pretty valid, to me, and the cost falls within the 'allowable budget' for a starting ship as suggested in the Core Rulebook.

If I had a crew who really wanted one, I'd let them have it.

The armor 5 seemed a bit too high if I'm remembering correctly.