Sign in to follow this  
GM Chris

Your EotE Questions for the Developers - LIVE on the Order 66 Podcast

As initiative rolls are Simple Cool or Vigilance checks, should Advantage/Threat and Triumph/Despair be spent as with normal checks?

This is already covered in the rules. Read the skill descriptions for Cool and Vigilance and you'll see the relevant details.

Sorry buddy but I can't see an answer to this question, it mentions successes generated but not advantage?

Read the 2nd to last paragraph of the Vigilance skill description. I'm too lazy to type it all out :)

Thanks, sorry I guess I was looking for it to call out Initiative but instead it says "first round of combat", I guess this kinda clarifies the question and hints that Advantage/ threat etc for both Cool and Vigilence can be used at the start of combat to notice something useful to the rest of the encounter, which will be fun.

What is meant when the rules say that different sources of defence don't stack?  Some things say "increase your ranged defense by one" or "increase your melee defense by one".  Are those sort of things considered modifiers to defense that someone already has (ex. stacks with armor), or are they different sources of defense from one another (ex. doesn't stack with armor)?  I'm unsure as to whether or not someone with armor benefits from cover, wielding a Defensive weapon, etc..

Admitting that I am decades out of touch...why the lack of some sort of "armor class"? It makes sense to me for ranged attacks, but less for melee.

Page 30 of the Core Rulebook reads:

"During character creation, no characteristic can be increased higher than five."

1. Does this mean no characteristic can be increased BY higher than five? Or that no characteristic can be increased TO higher than five?

Page 30 of the Core Rulebook reads:

"During the course of play, no characteristic can be increased higher than six."

2. Does this mean no characteristic can be increased BY higher than six? Or does this mean no characteristic can be increased TO higher than six?

Thanks for passing these questions to the FFG people.

Why does the only attachment for bludgeoning weapons require two hard points, when none of the three weapons has any HP?

Force Pike got 3 HPs, so it applies there.

Then add two ranks of Tinkerer and you've got your brass knuckles with lots of extra damage :ph34r: or your truncheon, or gaffi stick if you're into that sort of stuff...

EDIT: upon further research I see that Tinkerer can only be applied once per item, so no brass knuckles, truncheon or gaffi stick with weighted head.

Edited by Jegergryte

On the off chance it's not too late to post questions...

There are actions in space combat that create effects that last "until the start of the player's next turn" (Boost Shields action) or "until the end of the player's next turn" (Evasive Maneuvers action). In the game's open initiative system, however, a player might not act at the same point in the following round.

This means that combatants can lengthen or shorten the duration of such effects by going later or earlier in the following round. This can be used to gain the benefits of, for example, evasive maneuvers without suffering any of its disadvantages. In other words, the system can be gamed, although it can be gamed by both sides. Is that intended?

See this thread for my full example of this issue:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/86316-does-initiative-lock-in-after-round-1/

Another question for the designers...

When designing Star Wars Edge of the Empire, what sources of inspiration did you find from sources outside the Star Wars universe that helped you when designing and writing EotE?

If you could hack EotE to play in a different homebrew setting, which one setting would you use the EotE system to play in? I know that it would be very easy to take Edge of the Empire and run a Firefly game using it, just an example.

If you could hack EotE to play in a different homebrew setting, which one setting would you use the EotE system to play in? I know that it would be very easy to take Edge of the Empire and run a Firefly game using it, just an example.

Star Trek! But I'm not one of the designers. Great question though!

Why is there so much secrecy about what supplements are going to be made between the core books?  Will there be a book on starships?

Most likely because they really don't know yet.  I suspect everyone there has a lot of great ideas and stuff to put into books, but no one has made that many definitive decisions yet.  They don't want to announce a vapor-ware book.

Why is there so much secrecy about what supplements are going to be made between the core books?  Will there be a book on starships?

As I know they won't answer this. You generally wait on sales figures to come in to see what your 'install base' is then you'll contract freelancers/hire up to produce supplements based on projected sales. I'd imagine we'll see more of a roadmap come Gencon as sales have been pretty strong so far from what I'm seeing.

When aiming, does suffering 2 strain to take a second maneuver to aim negate the bonus from aiming?  The rules say "A character only gains the benefit of aiming if he remains in his current position and does not perform an additional maneuvers or actions before his next combat check.  Any damage that exceeds the character's soak also negates the benefit of aiming."

So, does taking the second maneuver to gain a second boost die from aiming count as an additional maneuver and negate the benefit of aiming?  Does suffering two strain to take a second maneuver count as "damage that exceeds the character's soak" and negate the benefit of aiming?

It's probably too late to get this question in but;

First post says the show is July 23rd (next week) so plenty of time, I think.

Thanks, for some reason my over excited brain thought (hoped) the show was tonight.

When aiming, does suffering 2 strain to take a second maneuver to aim negate the bonus from aiming?  The rules say "A character only gains the benefit of aiming if he remains in his current position and does not perform an additional maneuvers or actions before his next combat check.  Any damage that exceeds the character's soak also negates the benefit of aiming."

So, does taking the second maneuver to gain a second boost die from aiming count as an additional maneuver and negate the benefit of aiming?  Does suffering two strain to take a second maneuver count as "damage that exceeds the character's soak" and negate the benefit of aiming?

I asked this earlier in the thread.

1) Some folks have raised questions regarding high experience point characters never missing nor getting hit, especially after all three books are out, what problems did you find during  testing and what was done to combat these kinds of problems.

2) Similarly some people are already creating house rules for the force because they believe that not giving targets the ability to resist makes force users too powerful. How has the ability for force users to perform acts that can't be resisted been balanced.

Some people are house ruling on Destiny Points because they fear that every round one of each will be spent. This appears to be against what seems to be the spirit of the Destiny Point system, but does not exactly break the game since it just means that both sides have stepped up the intensity. Some people are ruling that only one point can be spent on any pool, driving a player rush to spend points before the GM can. Can you elaborate on the spirit of the Destiny Point system, how often you intended them to be used, and whether or not you see any problem with rapid cycling of Destiny Points?

Some of the specialization trees are obviously meant to be combined, even across careers, in order to maximize their benefits. Do you have a few favorite combinations? Any potent combinations you would advise a GM to keep an eye on in the hands of an irresponsible player?

We are getting a supplement with 3 new trees for one career. Can we expect 6 total trees for each career, or are you going to go the way of White Wolf and throw huge numbers of fluff supplements at us, for a total of 24-30 talent trees for each career?