Sign in to follow this  
GM Chris

Your EotE Questions for the Developers - LIVE on the Order 66 Podcast

[MODERATORS - it would be awesome if you could Pin this...]

That's right, GamerNation. You knew we were going to do it - and Edge of the Empire Lead Designer and Lead Developer, Jay Little & Sam Stewart - have graciously agreed. Now that the Core Rulebook is out, the questions are flowing. This is your chance to get your rules and mechanics questions answered by the men who wrote them.

Both Jay and Sam will be joining us for a special episode, Tuesday night, July 23 at 8:30pm CST. And the bulk of that show will be us asking them your questions.

This thread is for you to post those questions.

Now - as you know, we have limited time. As such, we're forced to be somewhat selective with the questions we present. With that in mind, we do have a few requests for you all who will be posting up your questions for Jay and Sam:

The goal is for these questions to be of a detailed nature on rules and/or mechanics of the EotE Core Book and GM Kit. (In other words, questions about why "XXX" wasn't included or why they didn't do "XXX" will get moved to the bottom of the list.)

Also - please try to limit this thread to JUST questions. I know (man, do I know...) how tempting it is to "answer" someone's question they just posted - but I'd really like to keep this thread clean, as I'll need to collate and organize A LOT out of it. So if we could keep off-topic talk to a minimum, I'd greatly appreciate it. It will my my job easier.  

Other than that, have at it!

We are extremely grateful for Jay and Sam taking their time (for all of us) to get into the nitty-gritty of rules questions around the book. Let's fire it up, and we'll see you all (hopefully) in the live simulcast on the 23rd.

Peace, Love, and Good Gaming,
GMC

Will the specialization talent tree PDFs be posted on the site anytime in the future, or is that giving away too much content for free? It would be nice to print these off your players to attach to their sheets.

Is 6 the absolute max for any characteristic (referencing the rancor's brawn of 6)?

Any chance of offering electronic tools such as character or monster builders?

Edited by fjw70

Can you give an official answer to whether there will be a PDF of the core rule book or not. Many people have this question and it would just be simpler to have it officiated. 

They addressed this in the last episode. The answer is "not gonna happen right now, no."

-EF

I'd love to see some map packs for sale.  For example, the Beginner Box comes with a great layout map of the YT freighter.  Any plans to print more of these (ship layouts, or space stations, etc)?

Some changes from the final Beta Errata seemed to have not been implemented, was this an oversight, or have they backed off on those changes. The one item I am thinking of are the costs of the Force Talents.

Can you give an official answer to whether there will be a PDF of the core rule book or not. Many people have this question and it would just be simpler to have it officiated. 

They addressed this in the last episode. The answer is "not gonna happen right now, no."

-EF

sorry i'm an episode behind

-EF

sorry i'm an episode behind

Heh, Savage Panda is a saaaad panda.  :)

The first supplement announced, Beyond the Rim, appears to be an adventure. Might future supplements also include things like additional character options, new equipment, new species and so on?

Ignore this question, it was answered today with the announcement of Enter the Unknown.

Edited by Venthrac

Could we have some guidelines on how to provide Obligation settlements as part of adventure rewards? The 'Debts to Pay' adventure from the Game Master's Kit has some, but one of the things it includes is a way to knock down a whopping 20 Obligation, which to me seems kind of like a lot.  I realize that the numerical values of Obligation are heavily situational, but a baseline on 'Obligation economy', as it were, might be helpful.

Related: the same adventure also gives bonus XP to players for paying down their Obligation. This sort of thing isn't referenced in the Core Rulebook anywhere I've seen; bonus XP seems relegated to the realm of Motivation. Should settling Obligation like this always give bonus XP, or only when it's in exchange for something majorly tangible? Would tying bonus XP to both Obligation and Motivation like this constitute a form of double-dipping (isn't lowering your Obligation sort of its own reward, in a way)?

Edited by Rikoshi

Does ranged defence apply to objects thrown with the move power?  Can talents like Dodge and Sidestep be used to increase the difficulty of the Discipline check to throw an object?  Is there any way to resist having an object torn from a character's hands with the move power?

I ran across a situation where I did not have enough dice to upgrade a final green die. Is the amount of dice included on the game also a limit on how many dice you can throw, or do I need to just suck it up and throw down another $14 for a second packet of dice? Thanks! And thanks for making what seems to already be a GREAT game!

Do you have any advice for scaling combat encounters for characters with a lot of experience?  Some players have noticed that difficulty upgrades from defensive talents don't scale well with increases in skill and characteristics.

Does ranged defence apply to objects thrown with the move power?  Can talents like Dodge and Sidestep be used to increase the difficulty of the Discipline check to throw an object?  Is there any way to resist having an object torn from a character's hands with the move power?

That's already answered in the core rulebook.

Page 284, top of the second column, says "This attack follows all the rules for ranged attacks, such as ranged defense and aiming." (emphasis mine).

Since the thrown object is a ranged attack, and you can use talents like Dodge and Side Step against ranged attacks, it's not a huge leap of logic to say that you can use those talents vs. an object thrown via the Move power.

Will there be a book on Criminal Syndicates and other Guild-like Organizations as well as how to create and run your own?

That's not a bad idea...the book might present several canonical syndicates at different levels of influence, plus some original ones (probably on a sector or smaller scale), plus of course the creation guidelines.

I have 2 questions.

1) Is vehicle movement supposed to be that drastically different than character movement? What I mean is that, according to page 232, if your speed is less tha 5, you can't get to long range, and there is no possible way to achieve extreme range with a maneuver. Also, at speeds 5-6 it takes two maneuvers to get from close to long, or long to close?

2) What is the chance we might get a "build your own starship" suppliment/freebie? There are some really good ships in the book, but we all know that gamers want to build their own ships.

-EF